ADSB out in tow planes

Old June 2nd 18, 02:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Longley

Default ADSB out in tow planes

One of our Pawnees has an ADSB out transponder now. (Evergreen Soaring) We’ve had glider pilots we’re towing that have FLARM ask us to turn off our transponder. We’ve told the glider pilots to turn their FLARM down or off. My recommendation is to either have a switch for your FLARM or know you can turn the volume down to a suitable level.

The question I have is does FLARM show up on ADSB in?
Old June 2nd 18, 05:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SoaringXCellence

No! it's been discussed before, there is no relationship between the signals of the two systems. PowerFlarm does not do any output of ADS-B, it only receives.
Old June 2nd 18, 06:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Friday, June 1, 2018 at 6:01:43 PM UTC-7, Charles Longley wrote:
One of our Pawnees has an ADSB out transponder now. (Evergreen Soaring) We’ve had glider pilots we’re towing that have FLARM ask us to turn off our transponder. We’ve told the glider pilots to turn their FLARM down or off. My recommendation is to either have a switch for your FLARM or know you can turn the volume down to a suitable level.

The question I have is does FLARM show up on ADSB in?

As discussed here before the solution to spurious PowerFLARM alerts in the glider to the towplane ADS-B Out may be to put a PowerFLARM in the towplane so the PowerFLARM in the glider knows it's a towplane and more tolerant of it being close to the glider. There is unfortunately no way for an ADS-B out signal to contain any information to tell PowerFLARM it's a towplane. The FLARM signal does carry that information. it would be great if somebody could experiment with a PowerFLARM portable in the towplane to see if it indeed does solve the issue.

Be careful turning those transponders off, they provide visibility to other aircraft with ADS-B In, TCAS, ATC, all gliders with PowerFLARM with 1090ES In option etc. And if in controlled airspace its a violation of 14 CFR 91.215... and since the towplane is transmitting ADS-B data for all to see and the signal starts going of in flight that may well get noticed. The likely better option if necessary here is for the glider to turn off or turn down the volume on their PowerFLARM while on tow.
Old June 2nd 18, 01:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

You might want to try putting the towplane ICAO ID on FlarmNet and, after the update is available, installing the updated FlarmNet file on the display devices.

Possibly the PowerFLARM will then process the ADS-B return as a towplane. No guarantees, but it may be worth a try and the rest of us would like to know.
Old June 2nd 18, 02:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Saturday, June 2, 2018 at 8:53:41 AM UTC-4, George Haeh wrote:
You might want to try putting the towplane ICAO ID on FlarmNet and, after the update is available, installing the updated FlarmNet file on the display devices.

Possibly the PowerFLARM will then process the ADS-B return as a towplane. No guarantees, but it may be worth a try and the rest of us would like to know.

Interesting idea. I see in FLARMnet there is a selection for "towplane" in the menu...

Old June 2nd 18, 04:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Longley

Good info guys! I am doing more research. There’s an ADSB in option for PowerFLARM that must be what some of the glider pilots are seeing. So if someone put put a Power FLARM core with the ADSB in option into a tow plane what would be the best way to display it? I am thinking iPad mini so ForeFlight could be used for Aero retrieves.
Old June 2nd 18, 07:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Saturday, June 2, 2018 at 8:34:12 AM UTC-7, Charles Longley wrote:
Good info guys! I am doing more research. There’s an ADSB in option for PowerFLARM that must be what some of the glider pilots are seeing. So if someone put put a Power FLARM core with the ADSB in option into a tow plane what would be the best way to display it? I am thinking iPad mini so ForeFlight could be used for Aero retrieves.

You really should look through some old threads on r.a.s. on this stuff.

You don't need a PowerFLARM core, you could use a portable. I would start with trying to borrow somebody's PowerFLARM Portable for an easier quick test. Sure a core could be more nicely installed.

Almost all PowerFLARM in the USA have the "ADS-B" Option. Which is 1090ES In Only. About half a dozen out of many hundred units sold in the USA don't have this option, and some of those owners I've talked to really regret not getting the ADS-B Option. PowerFLARM has some restrictions with ADS-B In, basically bemuse of it's European centric development, they are not being dual-link In (so it cant' see UAT Out equipped targets) and not supporting TIS-B and ADS-R... all that makes it not great for an ADS-B In option in GA/power aircraft.

PowerFLARM is aimed at the glider not GA community, PowerFLARM talks FLARM serial protocol and you can display that ADS-B traffic on any devices that supports that protocol (e.g. LXNav FLARMView displays, Air Avionics traffic displays, LXNav flight computers, ClearNav flight computers, Naviter Oudie, PDA/PNAs running soaring software, etc.)

PowerFLARM does *NOT* talk GDL90 or Garmin display protocol and so cannot display on ForeFlight or similar GA EFB applications.

I would hope the main benefit of having a PowerFLARM in a towplane would be increased safety from better awareness of FLARM equipped gliders and other towplanes while airborne, with hopefully the secondary benefit of helping PowerFLARM equipped gliders on tow not get these annoying alerts about the towplane with ADS-B Out. That all seems much more intersting than finding glider for retrieves. And there practically you need (1) line of sight to the glider on the ground, (actually it's transponder antenna, which might be obscured by the fumerslage... but it's got a lot of power so hopefully will work... but best case you are likely to get a few tens of miles of range, and (2) the glider pilot to leave the transponder on transmitting ADS-B Out and (3) I suspect rely on the glider on the ground *not* transmitting surface mode ADS-B Ou messages which the PowerFLARM will likely ignore... and the glider is required to do that for a 2020 Compliant/SIL-3 ADS-B Out installs. Options like Garmin inReach and Spot and good old VHF radio seem more useful for retrieves, but it's a great thing to think about and something to maybe play with (yes more tests).
Old June 2nd 18, 07:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Longley

I was actually talking about using ForeFlight for navigation on an aero retrieve. Not to find the glider. Generally we only do aero retrieves to airports. If a glider lands in a farmers field they generally have to go get it with their trailer. So my question is what app can I display FLARM on in an iPad? I picture using the FLARM display app for towing and Foreflight for navigation.

I’ll get the one tow plane we have ADSB out in registered on the FLARM net.
Old June 2nd 18, 07:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Longley

And you guys need to relax about the fact that’s this has been discussed before. More and more tow planes are getting ADSB out. As discussed most of the glider FLARM units in the US have ADSB in. This is something glider pilots and tow plane operators need to be aware of and resolve.

I just got back from Ephrata and was reading the latest issue of Soaring. I noticed a letter from our friends over at PSSA. Their Chief Tow Pilot wrote on this exact issue.

Flarm reporting my own ADSB Out [email protected] Soaring 14 March 22nd 18 04:31 AM
PowerFlarm for ADSB source? [email protected] Soaring 7 February 24th 15 06:01 PM
Stratus / Foreflight ADSB 6X Soaring 5 December 17th 13 10:34 AM
ADSB is only the start... Martin Gregorie[_5_] Soaring 0 October 1st 09 01:27 PM
Santa and ADSB Mal Soaring 0 December 15th 06 08:42 PM