Are they phasing out the S-3 too?

Old January 30th 05, 05:29 AM
Gord Beaman

Guy Alcala wrote:

wrote:

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 01:08:59 GMT, Michael Wise wrote:

I seem to recall that they are rather loud when snorting, too.

The term is "snorkeling,"

I guess I'm showing my age, here! :-)

snip

Or if you ever did an exchange tour with the RN. They call it snorting.

Guy

Same with Canadian ASW troops...I've been following this thread
with interest but with no opinions, my association with the ASW
world (for 10 years) was getting the experts and their equip
onsite and home again safely.
--

-Gord.
(use gordon in email)
Old January 30th 05, 02:48 PM
Allen Epps

In article ,
wrote:

snipped

On the surface you get a radar detection opportunity. You get one on
a snorkle mast, too, but it takes a well tuned set with a good
operator to hold one at any range. I was blessed with such a No. 3
back in the Old Days; his record was 28 nm.

Acoustic stuff of which I know nothing snipped

Bill Kambic

I only had one flight in an S-3B and was amazed at how good the ISAR
radar was. It picked up things like trash bags and coffee can sized
fishing floats at pretty amazing ranges, I'm hesitant to say how far as
I have no idsea what's classifed about it. I was very impressed given I
was used to the Prowlers APS-130 with which,on a good day, you could
find the carrier.

Pugs
Old January 30th 05, 03:19 PM

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 05:20:38 GMT, Michael Wise wrote:

The reason is that when a sub is surfaced part of the accoustic energy
developed by machinery is radiated into the air. Thus it is not
available to accoustic devices in water. In modern terms, the total
sound energy is reduced.

No argument there. But when its running surfaced, it's also cavitating
much more which makes up the machinery noise reduction.

No, not really.

Cavitation is a function of speed, prop design, and pressure. When a
sub is deep they have the advantage of pressure that will help reduce
cavitation. The difference in pressure between a sub on the surface
and one at snorkel depth is de mininimis.

Submerge the hull and now ALL the sound energy develped is radiated
into the water.

No argument there. The blade cavitation will also be much less.

No, it won't. The pressure gradient is way too small to make a
difference. And the addition of the machinery noise is not.

You may not agree, but it's pretty simple physics and what we used to
teach AWANs in basic passive tracking theory.

I wasn't taught that as an AW, and it doesn't jibe with my real-world
experiences either.

Talk to an accoustic AW and they will confirm what I say.

They
are both easy passive pick-offs with their own weaknesses, however a
running (on engines) surfaced sub makes a lot of both engine and
cavitation noise.

Indeed. But sound energy radiated into the air is no help with
passive tracking.

What makes you think the blade cavitation noise from a sub running on
the surface isn't clear and easily electronically identifiable?

It is. We could track lots of vessels (including Mother) using
passive accoustics. If you wanted a steer home during EMCON ops just
pick up a DIFAR bouy, isolate Mother, and take a bearing.

BUT, the sub at snort depth and the sub on the surface will not have
any detectable difference in cavitation. They will have a dramatic
difference in total noise energy radiated. A good No. 4 can tell if
the sub is surfaced or snorting based upon the total presentation.

As to the superiority of the helo over the fixed wing aircraft it very
much depends on the tactical situation. The helo can get up close and
personal, which the fixed wing cannot. The fixed wing has speed that
the helo does not.

Speed means nothing when ones tactical avionics package cannot be relied
on.

Indeed. Never flew a Hoover so I don't know how reliable the package
was.

The large active sonar of the helo is nice, but
DICASS can work, too.

I'll stick with the 2000 watts of power.

Depends. If you are outside the operating range of the helo then you
might not have many options.

Whether or not an SH-60 (or an SH-3, for that
matter) is the better platform is very situation dependant.

Obviously.

It has
been my experience (and that of not a few others) that when you mix
them you can turn a sub every which way but loose.

One would hope so, but I have to say I was never impressed with the
S-3's ASW capabilities (the same goes for the Hooky 2....with no offense
to the talented AW's who flew in both). I flew many an ASW exercises
(aboard SH-3H and SH-60F's) in open ocean as well as semi-controlled
(SOAR range) environments, and it always seemed the VS ASW avionics
systems frequently malfunctioned. I never flew any exercise where they
acquired the target first...although I have flown more than a few where
they lost it after being passed on to them.

Again, never having flown the Hoover I can't comment.

Bill Kambic
Old January 30th 05, 04:03 PM
Michael Wise

In article ,
wrote:

The reason is that when a sub is surfaced part of the accoustic energy
developed by machinery is radiated into the air. Thus it is not
available to accoustic devices in water. In modern terms, the total
sound energy is reduced.

No argument there. But when its running surfaced, it's also cavitating
much more which makes up the machinery noise reduction.

No, not really.

Which is contrary to my experience.

Cavitation is a function of speed, prop design, and pressure. When a
sub is deep they have the advantage of pressure that will help reduce
cavitation.

Indeed

The difference in pressure between a sub on the surface
and one at snorkel depth is de mininimis.

Submerge the hull and now ALL the sound energy develped is radiated
into the water.

No argument there. The blade cavitation will also be much less.

No, it won't. The pressure gradient is way too small to make a
difference. And the addition of the machinery noise is not.

Again, this is contrary to my experience.

You may not agree, but it's pretty simple physics and what we used to
teach AWANs in basic passive tracking theory.

I wasn't taught that as an AW, and it doesn't jibe with my real-world
experiences either.

Talk to an accoustic AW and they will confirm what I say.

What exactly is an "accoustic AW"? When I was in, all AW's received
acoustical training in A school and advanced acoustics in Common Core.
Once in the fleet, such training is ongoing.

[...]

What CV aviation ASW refers to its AW's as number 4 and such?

The large active sonar of the helo is nice, but
DICASS can work, too.

I'll stick with the 2000 watts of power.

Depends. If you are outside the operating range of the helo then you
might not have many options.

No argument there either.

--Mike
Old January 30th 05, 07:28 PM
Jim Carriere

Allen Epps wrote:
I only had one flight in an S-3B and was amazed at how good the ISAR
radar was. It picked up things like trash bags and coffee can sized
fishing floats at pretty amazing ranges, I'm hesitant to say how far as
I have no idsea what's classifed about it. I was very impressed given I
was used to the Prowlers APS-130 with which,on a good day, you could
find the carrier.

Pugs, everything I've heard about ISAR is impressive, and the newest
stuff out there supposedly puts even the gear in the S-3 to shame.

Radar can do amazing things sometimes. With the radar in the SH-60B
(basically an old fashioned 360 degree nav radar with some electronic
processing), we found some dolphins one night. It was ridiculously
calm out, so there wasn't much in the way of returns (normally the
waves in the ocean and dense rain clouds make random clutter). There
was some faint intermittent returns in one area for several minutes.
With nothing better to do, we went over to have a look with FLIR,
and there was a pod of dolphins hopping out of the water as they swam
along. I suppose there's the off chance they could have been
following a surfaced sub that subsequently dived before we came over.
Old January 30th 05, 10:08 PM

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 16:03:48 GMT, Michael Wise wrote:

No argument there. But when its running surfaced, it's also cavitating
much more which makes up the machinery noise reduction.

No, not really.

Which is contrary to my experience.

It's not contrary to mine. It's also what they teach in the accoustic
AW portion at the FASO det. Or at least they used to.

Talk to an accoustic AW and they will confirm what I say.

What exactly is an "accoustic AW"? When I was in, all AW's received
acoustical training in A school and advanced acoustics in Common Core.
Once in the fleet, such training is ongoing.

Well, maybe training has changed. The AW rate used to have
subspecialties of accoustic and non-accoustic (radar, MAD, etc.). I
sat through both parts many moons ago when I was a FASO instructor.
Maybe I'm really out of date or maybe you are relying much to heavily
on personal experience.

Since I am relying on what was taught from basic physics, I will
presume that while training might change, objective reality does not.

What makes you think the blade cavitation noise from a sub running on
the surface isn't clear and easily electronically identifiable?

It is. We could track lots of vessels (including Mother) using
passive accoustics. If you wanted a steer home during EMCON ops just
pick up a DIFAR bouy, isolate Mother, and take a bearing.

BUT, the sub at snort depth and the sub on the surface will not have
any detectable difference in cavitation. They will have a dramatic
difference in total noise energy radiated. A good No. 4 can tell if
the sub is surfaced or snorting based upon the total presentation.

What CV aviation ASW refers to its AW's as number 4 and such?

That's what we used to call them in Stoofs. The equipment we used in
the S2G was a scaled down version of what is used today in the P3C.

The ASW world IS a bit wider than helo ASW.

Bill Kambic
Old January 30th 05, 10:59 PM
Michael Wise

In article ,
wrote:

No argument there. But when its running surfaced, it's also cavitating
much more which makes up the machinery noise reduction.

No, not really.

Which is contrary to my experience.

It's not contrary to mine. It's also what they teach in the accoustic
AW portion at the FASO det. Or at least they used to.

Perhaps they stopped teaching it for a reason. ; )

Talk to an accoustic AW and they will confirm what I say.

What exactly is an "accoustic AW"? When I was in, all AW's received
acoustical training in A school and advanced acoustics in Common Core.
Once in the fleet, such training is ongoing.

Well, maybe training has changed. The AW rate used to have
subspecialties of accoustic and non-accoustic (radar, MAD, etc.).

That may have been true in your day, and it still may be true in the VP
community. However, it wasn't the case in the HS, HSL, and VS community
when I was in. All AW's in the pipeline for those communities go through
FASO Common Core. Once in the fleet, acoustics training is ongoing.

Since I am relying on what was taught from basic physics, I will
presume that while training might change, objective reality does not.

As I have said, I agree on most of what you've said...with the exception
that a diesel sub is easier to detect passively when snorkeling than
when running on the surface. I don't see any laws of physics supporting
that argument.

What makes you think the blade cavitation noise from a sub running on
the surface isn't clear and easily electronically identifiable?

It is. We could track lots of vessels (including Mother) using
passive accoustics. If you wanted a steer home during EMCON ops just
pick up a DIFAR bouy, isolate Mother, and take a bearing.

BUT, the sub at snort depth and the sub on the surface will not have
any detectable difference in cavitation. They will have a dramatic
difference in total noise energy radiated. A good No. 4 can tell if
the sub is surfaced or snorting based upon the total presentation.

What CV aviation ASW refers to its AW's as number 4 and such?

That's what we used to call them in Stoofs. The equipment we used in
the S2G was a scaled down version of what is used today in the P3C.

So you were an S-2 AW? By the time I got in, S-2's were pretty much
limited to COD duty.

The ASW world IS a bit wider than helo ASW.

No argument there...although when it comes to active acoustical
detection...no other aviation assets can touch an HS asset.

--Mike
Old January 31st 05, 03:53 AM
Michael Wise

In article ,
Jim Carriere wrote:

Since I am relying on what was taught from basic physics, I will
presume that while training might change, objective reality does not.

As I have said, I agree on most of what you've said...with the exception
that a diesel sub is easier to detect passively when snorkeling than
when running on the surface. I don't see any laws of physics supporting
that argument.

I've heard the same thing (the snorkeling sub is "noisier" in the
water than the surfaced one). More hull is in the water, so more
noise is transferred to the water and less is transferred to the air.

I'm not convinced that there is a great deal of difference, it seems
overly simplified to me. I have a feeling that water is better than
air at absorbing sound, by which I mean that a surfaced sub probably
transfers nearly all of it's engine noise to the water anyway.

Indeed. Snorkeling or surfaced, it's noise begs for a couple MK-46's.

--Mike
Old January 31st 05, 11:27 AM

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 22:59:07 GMT, Michael Wise wrote:

That's what we used to call them in Stoofs. The equipment we used in
the S2G was a scaled down version of what is used today in the P3C.

So you were an S-2 AW? By the time I got in, S-2's were pretty much
limited to COD duty.

No, I was the S-2 tactics instructor. I saw through most of the AW
portion to find would what was taught and learn more about the
capabilities of the equipment.

The ASW world IS a bit wider than helo ASW.

No argument there...although when it comes to active acoustical
detection...no other aviation assets can touch an HS asset.

Well, mabe so and maybe not. :-)

Bill Kambic