I hink Biplanes/Triplanes are the best

Old October 31st 03, 03:32 AM
vincent p. norris

Ah an Aussie troll and a VERY poor one

But an open cockpit biplane IS a lot more fun to fly than a jet
(altough I've never flown the latter).

If Uncle Sam offered to give me a used Stearman or a used jet, I'd
have no difficulty choosing the Stearman.

(I could afford to buy fuel for it, too.)

vince norris
Old October 31st 03, 03:36 AM
vincent p. norris

Its been done

Have those of you who live in the States seen the tv commercial in
which General Electric tries to bask in the reflected glory of the
Wright Brothers by strapping one of their jet engines to the Wright
Flier?

vince norris
Old October 31st 03, 05:14 AM
WaltBJ

If you look at it with the right mental attitude the Shuttle atop the
747 combo comprises a biplane with something like 57 engines, not
counting the 4 APUs. ;)
Walt BJ
Old October 31st 03, 05:49 AM
robert arndt

"Keith Willshaw" wrote in message ...
"Stephen Harding" wrote in message
Keith Willshaw wrote:

"Leah Lidtorf" wrote in message

Better than modern jets.Biplanes are planes for real knights of the
sky.Improved Biplanes could be better than most jets.

Jets are ****.

Ah an Aussie troll and a VERY poor one

Score 1/10 for picking the right newsgroup.

Ahh, but think how many jet engines could be bolted on to all
those extra wings!

Its been done

http://cellar.org/iotd.php?threadid=3754

Keith

The very first jet WAS a bi-plane:

http://tanks45.tripod.com/Jets45/His...aAeroplane.htm

Rob
Old October 31st 03, 11:09 AM
Greg Hennessy

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 23:14:44 GMT, Mike Marron
wrote:

The "Starfighters" F-104 demo team based out of my hometown
(Clearwater, FL) and the jet-powered Waco bipe in the link above
that Keith posted are my two fave airplanes at Sun 'n Fun. Another
very cool photo is the *turboprop* ULTRALIGHT shown in the link
below:

http://www.davisstraub.com/OZ/toc.php?6.92

Scroll down to the bottom to view the pic. Very cool!

Thats a *small* engine. Any ideas what it is ? The thoughts of a 3-400
horse turbine on something that small just boggles the mind.

greg

--
$ReplyAddress =~ s#\@.*$##; # Delete everything after the '@'
The Following is a true story.....
Old October 31st 03, 01:45 PM
David Windhorst

Keith Willshaw wrote:

snip

Its been done

http://cellar.org/iotd.php?threadid=3754

Keith

Don't forget the PZL M-15 :
http://www.luftfahrtmuseum.com/htmi/ii/i006951.htm

Old October 31st 03, 03:34 PM
Mike Marron

Greg Hennessy wrote:
Mike Marron wrote:

The "Starfighters" F-104 demo team based out of my hometown
(Clearwater, FL) and the jet-powered Waco bipe in the link above
that Keith posted are my two fave airplanes at Sun 'n Fun. Another
very cool photo is the *turboprop* ULTRALIGHT shown in the link
below:

http://www.davisstraub.com/OZ/toc.php?6.92

Scroll down to the bottom to view the pic. Very cool!

Thats a *small* engine. Any ideas what it is ? The thoughts of a 3-400
horse turbine on something that small just boggles the mind.

It's a Rotax/Lucas gas turbine APU (used on early Harriers, I think)
that develops 80 hp at 55,000 rpms (my reciprocating Rotax 912
engine on my trike develops the exact same hp at 5800 rpms). The
little turbine only weighs about 70 lbs. but guzzles down the kerosene
at approx. 200 lbs. per hr.

Has an inflight adjustable prop (as opposed to a constant-speed
prop) and just like the big boys it also has beta range, meaning it
can reverse pitch.

If one can afford the engine and the fuel to feed it, I suppose it's a
great little engine for high density altitude ops and/or towing
gliders up to FL180 (any higher and you need to file IFR, of course).

But turbines aren't a very practical powerplant at all for most light
A/C that spend the majority of their time operating down low 'n slow
in the weeds.

Here's a bit more about the turboprop UL if you're interested. Scroll
down to the third article:

http://www.davisstraub.com/OZ/Ozv6n101.htm

Old October 31st 03, 04:27 PM
Alan Minyard

The very first jet WAS a bi-plane:

http://tanks45.tripod.com/Jets45/His...aAeroplane.htm

Rob

No, the "aircraft" that you are referring to never achieved controlled flight. It
promptly crashed when a take off was attempted. It was not the first jet, it
was a failed attempt.

Al Minyard
Old October 31st 03, 06:37 PM
Greg Hennessy

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 15:34:20 GMT, Mike Marron
wrote:

Scroll down to the bottom to view the pic. Very cool!

Thats a *small* engine. Any ideas what it is ? The thoughts of a 3-400
horse turbine on something that small just boggles the mind.

It's a Rotax/Lucas gas turbine APU (used on early Harriers, I think)
that develops 80 hp at 55,000 rpms (my reciprocating Rotax 912
engine on my trike develops the exact same hp at 5800 rpms). The
little turbine only weighs about 70 lbs. but guzzles down the kerosene
at approx. 200 lbs. per hr.

I had visions of some hero hanging a 3-400 horse ex jetranger alison on
there.

Has an inflight adjustable prop (as opposed to a constant-speed
prop) and just like the big boys it also has beta range, meaning it
can reverse pitch.

Interesting. Make a short landing run even shorter.

greg
Old October 31st 03, 06:50 PM
Gordon

Don't forget the PZL M-15 :