Gliding Research Assistance

Old March 17th 13, 04:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kevin Christner

Default Gliding Research Assistance

Hello RAS,

Several years ago I wrote my Senior Honors Thesis in History on "Soaring's Golden Age: 1965-1975." I recently got a copy of my paper back from my college, having lost it somewhere in 8 moves over 7 years. I had always wanted to pick the paper back up, as in college I did not have the time or money to do the extensive in-person interviews required to make it truly complete. I sent it around to a few people who I hoped to interview, and they all agreed in short order, so I figured I was on my way.

You can find a copy of the original paper he

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/82373946/Senior%20Thesis.pdf

Please disregard my horrible grammar. You wouldn't be the first to point it out, and I promise I've become a much better writer in the past 7 years and will engage the services of an editor!

I also realized that I wanted to write a far more extensive piece, covering the years 1950-1985. These years are taken from an American perspective of Dick Johnson's RJ-5 World Free Distance Record to Doug Jacobs win in the 85 Worlds, the last American to take home a Gold. Also the gliders themselves have sort of plateaued with only incremental improvements in the past 30 years, and I don't want to get into a whole discussion on instrument technology which has been the real change in the past 30 years as it would just put everyone to sleep. The working title is "Farther, Faster, Higher: A History of Soaring and the Men and Machines Who Made It."

I just spent two days with George Moffat and recorded about 5 hours of video, of which I think 3 or so is pretty original and not discussed in George's previous works. Look for a forthcoming short article on George's modifications to International-14 Sailboats and how that led to his modifications of the HP-8 and Austria SH. Also great personal material on George's long-time crew Ralph Boehm.

I would like to make the book as broad as possible. If you competed or crewed at high level contests in this era, have personal stories that are just plain funny, or anything else you think is worthwhile, please contact me. I can take your own writing, do an interview over Skype, or potentially visit you personally. For those in Australia, I believe I will be down under the first two weeks of November.

Also, I am stuck on getting some information on the 1976 World Championships. If you were a non-US pilot, crew, or otherwise engaged observer at that contest, could you please contact me privately. It is fairly easy for me to get in contact with the American team.

Best regards,

Kevin Christner

Old March 17th 13, 08:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BobW

On 3/17/2013 10:00 AM, Kevin Christner wrote:
Hello RAS,

Several years ago I wrote my Senior Honors Thesis in History on "Soaring's
Golden Age: 1965-1975."

Snip...

You can find a copy of the original paper he

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/82373946/Senior%20Thesis.pdf

Thanks for the link; sign me up for a book purchase; keep at it/best of luck;
I'll be happy to volunteer edit.

Bob W.
Old March 17th 13, 09:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kevin Christner

Thanks for the support Bob. I anticipate a 4 year project. Plan to interview as many World Champions as possible. Seeing George Lee in November.

2C

Thanks for the link; sign me up for a book purchase; keep at it/best of luck;

I'll be happy to volunteer edit.

Bob W.

Assistance Exporting from Europe to US YourNameHere Soaring 2 March 11th 13 01:13 AM
Mark !!! Assistance Please !!! Loverly Vagina Piloting 19 April 5th 10 09:54 AM
Free Rx Assistance ekqhqg32 Products 0 December 7th 07 03:12 AM
VA Assistance for Glider Ratings Brian Soaring 0 July 18th 05 04:01 PM
builder assistance needed AINut Home Built 0 April 8th 05 07:05 AM