newbie question 2

Old December 21st 04, 10:44 AM
Billy Who?

Default newbie question 2

so where can i get a good deal to train from 0 (well 4 hours so far)to
commercial pilot in USA?
or is there anywhere that would cost less (only thinking of USA as low
dollar makes a lot of difference)
want to do it in around 3 to 4 month intensive course.
seen one site offering for $29,995 which is around £16,000 is this good?

--
İBillyİ
ICQ 171497980

Old December 21st 04, 10:26 PM
Jim Fisher

"Cockpit Colin" wrote in message

Are you looking to become a safe, competent pilot, or are you just after a
licence?

There is absolutely no data that states quickie programs such as this are
unsafe. Don't get me started again.

--
Jim Fisher

Old December 22nd 04, 05:14 PM
Billy Who?

Cockpit Colin" wrote in message
Are you looking to become a safe, competent pilot, or are you just after a
licence?

both really, its my new vocation for next year i intend to be one of the
best as a pilot too. but dont wish to be parted with excessive amounts of
cash for poor training at rip off club. want the right training at the
right price but with the ability to do an intensive course so as to get up
to speed asap and safely

Old December 22nd 04, 09:44 PM
C Kingsbury

Another angle on this might be that most of the accelerated ab-initio
programs are in places like Florida or Arizona that basically don't have
weather (or what a New Englander like myself would consider weather, at
least). While this is great for dispatch purposes it's not representative of
what you find in Europe and UK. Depending on what kind of flying you're
going to be doing down the road this might be worth taking into account. I
had more hours of actual when I took my IR checkride than some CFIIs do
coming out of programs down there. This isn't negligence- they just don't
get as much flyable IMC as we do up North.

. ..

Old December 22nd 04, 09:54 PM
XMnushaL8y

"C Kingsbury" cwkingsbury wrote:
Another angle on this might be that most of the
accelerated ab-initio programs are in places like
Florida or Arizona that basically don't have
weather

I don't know about Florida, but AZ basically doesn't have weather?? I missed
the first part of this thread, but this sentence caught my eye. Ever been to AZ
June-Sept? or more recently, during the first part of this month? It isn't like
Seattle, and it's a common *mis*conception, but assuming AZ even *basically*
doesn't have weather could get ya into a heap-a-trouble.

Old December 23rd 04, 12:57 AM
Cockpit Colin

I wasn't.

The original posters post appeared to be all about the money and the
licence - missing out what is, in my opinion, THE most important variable.

I imagine that you're quite right in what you say - but as I say, I wasn't
commenting on that.

Cheers,

Old December 23rd 04, 01:06 AM
Cockpit Colin

Cockpit Colin" wrote in message
Are you looking to become a safe, competent pilot, or are you just after

licence?

both really, its my new vocation for next year i intend to be one of the
best as a pilot too. but dont wish to be parted with excessive amounts of
cash for poor training at rip off club. want the right training at the
right price but with the ability to do an intensive course so as to get

up
to speed asap and safely

And herein begins a journey as to what constitutes a "one of the best"
pilot. For some, it's the guy who can fly a fully laden 747 under a bridge
whilst inverted, and not crash - for others (like myself) it's about being
the person most likely to bring the aircraft back safely, with no rules
broken - one is mostly about skill - the other mostly about judgement, which
in my opinion, is 100 times as important.

How does one go about finding a school that teaches good judgement? I don't
know. Unfortunately, it's been my observations in aviation that far too many
pilots approach to rick management is "good luck" rather than "good
judgement".

My suggestion would be to focus less on the $$$ and more on the schools
where you can SEE that they take aviation safety seriously (as opposed to
saying the take it seriously, which everyone says that do).

Old December 23rd 04, 05:06 AM
C Kingsbury

Well, I'm from Boston so that's my frame of reference. The way I understand
it, out in those parts you get two kinds of weather: VMC, and Don't Even
Think About It, at least not in a 172.

Old December 23rd 04, 05:58 AM
Mike Adams

We have a lot of great flying weather in Arizona, but not a lot of good weather for IFR practice. In the
late summer, the "monsoon" season brings a convective afternoon thunderstorm pattern. The winter
storms are usually no good for IFR because of the cold temperatures and icing potential. Most of the
MEA's are up around 10,000 ft., so it's hard to stay below the icing level. We did have a low overcast
for several days earlier this month, which was very unusual. The best solution: enjoy the good weather
for what it is, and fly over to southern California for some actual IMC.

Mike