Elfe S4D information request

Old January 7th 05, 08:00 AM
Janos Bauer

Default Elfe S4D information request

Hi,

We looked around the net but it's hard to find any detailed
information about how this plane was constructed. Is there any problem
with this metal-wood-composite mixture? How can these planes maintained?
How does it fly? Is it difficult to assemble/disassemble? Or any other
experience is welcome.

/Janos
Old January 7th 05, 08:35 AM
Stefan

The best start would probably be to contact directly the Neukom
Composite AG in Switzerland. Their homepage is password protected,
though, and I don't know their e-mail address... But maybe DG may help
you to get in contact, as Neukom is the LS reprentative in Switzerland
and LS is now DG...

Stefan
Old January 9th 05, 07:46 PM
Mr Derek Wilson

"Janos Bauer" wrote in message
We looked around the net but it's hard to find any detailed information
about how this plane was constructed.

I have a 1977 built Elfe S4a. In answer to your questions:

Construction: Grp front fuselage. Wood/Epoxy sandwich wing, rear fuselage
and tail. Same wing section as ASW-15 and ASW-19.
Maintenance: Like any wooden glider. Wing profile good after 28 years! Paint
any scratches so easier than glass to repair. No large costs for re-gelling.
Rigging: Similar to Sleicher K6 but heavier (mine weighs 253kg empty)
Flying: No trim, but as it has all-flying tail then no stick load but never
able to take hands off. Slightly lower max L/D than Std. Cirrus or LS1f but
more than equal above 100KPH. Long fuselage relative to 15metre wing as same
fuselage was used on 17metre Elfe. Airbrakes not great (top surface only)
but not really bad. Climbs as well as other standard class machines at my
club. Cockpit is quite small for me but I am 1.83 metres tall and weigh
97kg!

Conclusion: Would I buy one - YES. Value for money as a good one should cost
only 6000 Euro. I do not know of anything better for the money.

You can email me if you have more questions at derekatmotorgliderdotcodotuk.

Old February 15th 05, 01:23 PM
lucid

Hi people,

I'm the proud ower of D-8498,

(Elfe S4D, built by the JugendAusbildung in OerlingHausen (1985),

and I am looking for the german MusterBetreuers, as well as any
technical drawings considering this aircraft.

The Elfe S4D is a secret plane, having an index of 96, flying just as
well as an AS19 or ASW15, I noticed this while flying my plane for 5
hours, wing to wing with an ASW19 of our club..
No noticeable differences.

It's a really forgiving plane, and you can circle K8 style in
thermals... (70kmh / 45 degrees bank)

There are some nice pictures available of another Elfe which you can
see here : http://members.lycos.nl/kokkieshome/elfe.html

Also, soon , I will SETUP AN ELFE S3/S4 forum especially for all of us
who fly Elfe's.

Click this link after 01-march-2005 and it will most probably work :

'THE BRAND NEW ELFE S3/S4D forum!' (http://www.tvwebradio.com/elfe)

Please contact me directly via , it will work.

www.tvwebradio.com/sailorsofthsky

--
lucid
- A website for Australian Pilots regardless of when, why, or what they fly -

Old August 22nd 05, 01:07 AM
Steve Leonard

Elfes4 wrote:

'Hi there Mike,

The technical drawings are coming your way !
I gave them to Jens yesterday !

Feel free to distribute to all Elfe enthousiasts !
(full size tiff scans 200 MB total)

Greetz, Theo Janssen
Former proud owner of Elfe S4 PH-1188 serial 67'

Theo or Mike,
I have an S2 and might be interested in seeing at least
some of the drawings. My wings are in three pieces,
rather than two, but there are probably still similarities.

Has anyone established or seen any sites with information
on the Elfe? It would be interesting to know a bit
more about them.

Steve Leonard
Elfe S2, Serial number 12
N844HB (formerly HB-844)