$100 hamburger radius

Old November 3rd 06, 01:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Stubby

Default $100 hamburger radius

2 McD selections at $4 each plus 2 "drinks" at $1 each leaves $90 for
the airplane. Assume it is all gas at $3/gal. So that is 30 gal or 15
gal out and 15 back. At 10 gph, we have to get the hamburgers within a
1.5 hr radius. With lots of assumptions, mostly 100 kts, we must get
the burgers within 150 nm.

Assuming there is an McD next to each and every airport, out selection
will be limited by how many airports there are within 150 nm of home.
There are quite a few in New England, but what about the mid west? Jay?
Old November 3rd 06, 03:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
vincent p. norris

2 McD selections at $4 each plus 2 "drinks" at $1 each leaves $90 for
the airplane. Assume it is all gas at $3/gal. So that is 30 gal or 15
gal out and 15 back. At 10 gph, we have to get the hamburgers within a
1.5 hr radius. With lots of assumptions, mostly 100 kts, we must get
the burgers within 150 nm.

Your only cost of flying is gas? Untill the recent spike in gas
prices, our club experience has been that gas is only about half the
total cost of flying.

vince norris
Old November 3rd 06, 04:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kingfish

Stubby wrote:

snip aviation/burger relationship analysis

Assuming there is an McD next to each and every airport, out selection
will be limited by how many airports there are within 150 nm of home.
There are quite a few in New England, but what about the mid west? Jay?

Thankfully there is a Burger King & Wendy's right down the street from
Hyannis/Barnstable airport on Cape Cod. Although, if that's what you're
after you could save the $$ and just drive down the street for one. Not
exactly haute cuisine were talking here...

Old November 3rd 06, 09:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Stubby,

I think you're taking this thing too literally. Going to McD after a
nice flight must be the lowest low point you could possibly hit. Go to
any other restaurant, but not McD.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old November 3rd 06, 12:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

I think you're taking this thing too literally. Going to McD after a
nice flight must be the lowest low point you could possibly hit. Go to
any other restaurant, but not McD.

Agreed. I've gone on hundreds of $100 hamburger flights, and have
NEVER stooped to McDonalds, even when the kids were little and they
spotted an indoor playground. There is simply no way I'm going to
spoil a flight by eating at a chain restaurant.

We always search out the "mom & pop" non-chain restaurants, and are
rarely disappointed. They are always your best value, offer the most
local flavor, and have the best food.

And, luckily, there are plenty of choices in the Midwest for just such
fare. Almost every airport has one nearby -- and, if they don't,
there's always a courtesy car.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 3rd 06, 02:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Jay,

We always search out the "mom & pop" non-chain restaurants, and are
rarely disappointed. They are always your best value, offer the most
local flavor, and have the best food.

Absolutely. I've done the same. It takes just a little research and
you'll always find a place nearby, even if not every field has a
restaurant.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old November 3rd 06, 07:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

We always search out the "mom & pop" non-chain restaurants, and are
rarely disappointed. They are always your best value, offer the most
local flavor, and have the best food.

Absolutely. I've done the same. It takes just a little research and
you'll always find a place nearby, even if not every field has a
restaurant.

The same search technique works for hotels, by the way. Avoid chains,
and you'll find the real gems.

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 3rd 06, 08:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Jay,

The same search technique works for hotels, by the way. Avoid chains,
and you'll find the real gems.

I wonder how you would know ;-)

But I agree.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old November 3rd 06, 09:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Duniho

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
ups.com...
I think you're taking this thing too literally. Going to McD after a
nice flight must be the lowest low point you could possibly hit. Go to
any other restaurant, but not McD.

Agreed. I've gone on hundreds of $100 hamburger flights, and have
NEVER stooped to McDonalds, even when the kids were little and they
spotted an indoor playground. There is simply no way I'm going to
spoil a flight by eating at a chain restaurant.

We always search out the "mom & pop" non-chain restaurants, and are
rarely disappointed. They are always your best value, offer the most
local flavor, and have the best food.

Not that I've ever found a place after flying somewhere that was worse than
the meal I'd be able to get at McDonald's, but...

IMHO even if that did somehow happen, I'd still agree that the
non-McDonald's option is better, even if the food isn't as good. After all,
what's the point of going to all the trouble to fly somewhere, only to eat
the exact same food you can get in your own back yard? To me, a major part
of flying is the broad experiences one can have...whether they are better or
worse than one might otherwise have isn't quite as important as the fact
that they are *different*.

I still recall the stop in Utah many years ago, when we ate at the only
restaurant still serving lunch at the late hour we showed up (2 or 3pm, if I
recall correctly). It was a place that served both Chinese food and
American diner fare. I wouldn't say they were haute cuisine, but they did a
perfectly passable job on both, and was much more fun to eat there than it
would've been at a chain.

Pete

Old November 3rd 06, 09:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

Not that I've ever found a place after flying somewhere that was worse than
the meal I'd be able to get at McDonald's, but...

I flew out to Seattle (RNT) to visit a friend, and we went to a really
high end steakhouse of great repute. The ambiance was good but the
actual food was somewhat disappointing. The next day we were to fly to
Portland but thunderstorms enroute stopped us. We ended up back in
Renton to wait it out (and ultimately drove). While waiting, we went to
a nearby Dennys and had a steak which easily rivaled the best steaks
I've ever had, and way surpassed the steakhouse in Seattle. I was floored.

Who'd'a'thunkit?

Jose
--
"Never trust anything that can think for itself, if you can't see where
it keeps its brain." (chapter 10 of book 3 - Harry Potter).