Flying into New Orleans area...... some ? ?

Old August 24th 04, 07:04 PM
kontiki

Default Flying into New Orleans area...... some ? ?

I'm planning on flying to New Orleans over the Labor Day weekend
to visit some family and wondered if anyone had any pireps about
which airport/FBO is recommended. Seems like the choice is limited
to KNEW, KMSY or 1L0. I've made a few phone calls to check out
prices etc. but wondered if anyone has any direct experience?

KMSY seems expensive (landing fees, paking $$$ and high fuel $$)
while 1LO has great fuel prices and low parking fee but I wonder
about security for my airplane parked for a couple of days.

Any input from you fellas that have experience in and out of there
would be greatly appreciated. I have a Comanche 250 and will be
coming over from Georgia.

Thanks,
Scott

Old August 24th 04, 10:16 PM
Nick

1L0 (St. John the Baptist Parish airport in Reserve, LA) is where I keep
my Cherokee 180. Very easy arrivals and departures, non controlled
field, has VOR and GPS approaches if IFR. Fuel prices are some of the
cheapest around. Rick Moran is the manager at the airport (985-536-1999)
and I believe the minimal overnight tie down fees are still waved if
fuel is purchase.

Security has never been a problem in the 10 years I have been at 1L0,
The airport is fenced in and just installed a keypad electric gate for
automotive access to the ramp. The Airport is also regularly patrolled
by the Sheriffs department.

Nick

Old August 25th 04, 04:42 AM
David Johnson

When I visited New Orleans a few years ago, I was going to be
smart, and avoid the big city. Landed in Hammond and tried to
get a rental car. But OOPS! there were none to be had there.

The guy at the FBO was very helpful, and called around in search
of a car. Found one at Lakefront Airport in N.O., so off I went.
I flew around the lake so as to approach it from the east (and
avoid the Class B on the west side). I had no problem either
going in or coming back out (also to the east, as Florida was
next). Hardly any other traffic at that time (mid-day during
the week, IIRC).

I used the services of Million Air, and found all their people
friendly and helpful. I don't recall being overcharged. Stayed
a couple of days. And, of course, Lakefront can't be beat for
being conveniently located. I'd go back.

David Johnson
Old August 25th 04, 03:21 PM
Darrel Toepfer

Nick wrote:

1L0 (St. John the Baptist Parish airport in Reserve, LA) is where I keep
my Cherokee 180. Very easy arrivals and departures, non controlled
field, has VOR and GPS approaches if IFR. Fuel prices are some of the
cheapest around. Rick Moran is the manager at the airport (985-536-1999)
and I believe the minimal overnight tie down fees are still waved if
fuel is purchase.

Security has never been a problem in the 10 years I have been at 1L0,
The airport is fenced in and just installed a keypad electric gate for
automotive access to the ramp. The Airport is also regularly patrolled
by the Sheriffs department.

Gased up there last week, $2.65 for 100LL selfserve. Combination to the
pilot lounge was easy enough to figure out... ;-)

Flew VOR direct from KBTR, taxi'd right into the parking lot at AirTech.
Looks like they had a recent resurfacing of the runway and taxiways,
very nice and smooth. Excellent lighting too, grass was a bit tall though...

Any details on that 150 in the weeds one the north end of the ramp? I
looked up the N number, but that guy doesn't exist in the nearby area...
Old August 29th 04, 02:09 PM
CVBreard

It's been a while since I lived there but I suspect your best bet is still New
Orleans Lakefront - close in, GA friendly, good facilties - I don't know about
costs, however, but suspect by the time you consider alternative sites, it's
your best all-around choice.

Be careful flying the Lake at night.

However, if your family lives near Moisant MSY/Louis Armstrong, I wouldn't
hesitate to fly in there, but imagine the costs will be noticably higher. I
guess General Aviation is still the FBO there.