Why does the Sporting code require "Goal" to be a finish point???

Old October 16th 04, 04:58 AM
Marc Ramsey

From the FAI perspective, the date/time of an electronic declaration is
that contained in columns 2-13 of the first C record line in the IGC
file. That date/time is determined when the declaration is first
entered into the unit, not at takeoff. If a paper declaration is made
at a later time, then it overrides the electronic declaration. It is up
to the official observer to certify that the pilot has provided a paper
declaration which is dated after the electronic declaration contained in
the IGC file.

Speaking with my GFAC hat on,
Marc

Ian Cant wrote:
Todd,
You are absolutely correct that the pilot,
not the instrument, makes the declaration. Nevertheless,
'electronic declarations' do exist and are accepted
by the FAI. And the content of a full declaration
includes the date of flight, not just the date at which
the pilot defined the task. Quoting from my Colibri
manual 'the selected task is automatically declared
after takeoff'. This declaration, even though it is
implemented by the instrument, is acceptable for FAI
purposes. So if it exists, it is the latest declaration.
Agreed, the pilot may make paper declarations after
entering the FR task but before the flight, but if
he wants to make the paper declaration valid it is
his responsibility to deselect or disable the electronic
one prior to takeoff. And since the FR data is required
to document the flight, it is hard to pretend that
any associated electronic declaration does not exist.

I guess that if someone really wanted to flex the
spirit of the rules, he could carry a sheaf of paper
declarations and have several FRs running, then decide
after takeoff which one he wanted to use today - then
the latest declaration would be the one in the pilot's
head as he started his task, or maybe what he recalled
postflight as his last pre-start intention ??

Soaring season must be winding down.

Old October 16th 04, 05:47 AM
Eric Greenwell

John Gilbert wrote:

The (USA) State record rules say "Except as provided by these rules,
State Records shall comply with the FAI Sporting Code, Section 3
("SC3") and to the additional requirements of Section 6.0 below."

Even though they "must comply with the Sporting Code", the rules are not
part of the Sporting Code. State records are operated independent of the
FAI system, and simply copy the rules.

In the Sporting Code Section 3, Chapter 4.2.2 Declaration Validity,
paragraph a. "The last declaration made before takeoff is the only one
valid for the flight, but a concurrently flown and different
competition task is allowed."

I think you have to read these context: these rules apply to FAI flight
achievements, not SSA records, which are not part of the FAI system.

So I don't see any way that more than one (valid) declaration can
exist for a flight AND still comply with the Sporting Code.

I agree with that you that Sporting Code allows only one valid
declaration for a Badge or World Record flight. This is to prevent the
pilot from choosing declaration in or after flight. But why can't you
have another declaration for another set of rules by a different
organization? This declaration would not be valid for FAI badge or World
record claims - no question about that -but it would/should be valid for
a USA state record claim. Because the SSA State rules only allow one
valid declaration, the declaration for the FAI badges, etc., would not
be valid for the State Record attempt.

These are separate sets of rules, and even though the SSA State record
rules reference the FAI rules, they are NOT FAI rules!

Either
the one in the flight recorder is the last one made, or the paper one
is the last one made. Maybe you can talk an OO into verifying a flight
with two "valid" declarations, but I think it is not in the intention
of the rules to do so. It ain't, well, sporting.

The OO is not being asked to verify a claim with two "valid"
declarations, he just observes the flight and attests to the correctness
of the procedures and documentation. The FAI badge claim, with
supporting documentation (including the declaration made for the FAI),
is sent to the FAI Award representative (Judy Ruprecht currently) for
the USA. She evaluates the claim.

The SSA State record claim, with it's supporting documentation
(including the declaration made for the SSA), is sent to the SSA record
keeper for the State, who evaluates the claim for the State.

The intent of the FAI rules is to have one declaration, and only one,
apply to the Badge/world record claim, and that would be achieved; ditto
for the SSA record claim. The pilot would not be allowed to pick which
declaration went with which claim after the flight.

I see nothing unsporting about following the rules. The claim for a
badge/world record is not affected in any way by a concurrent claim for
an SSA state record. No matter what was on each declaration, it would
not have the slightest impact on the claim supported by the other
declaration.

Since it seems like this has not come up before, I doubt that there is
any precedence, so it would be wise to discuss this with Judy R and your
state record keeper before trying it. My opinion may not sway the people
that have to evaluate your claim!

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA
Old October 16th 04, 08:40 AM
Tony Burton

In article , Ian Cant
wrote:

Todd,

snip

I guess that if someone really wanted to flex the
spirit of the rules, he could carry a sheaf of paper
declarations and have several FRs running, then decide
after takeoff which one he wanted to use today - then
the latest declaration would be the one in the pilot's
head as he started his task, or maybe what he recalled
postflight as his last pre-start intention ??

Soaring season must be winding down.

The new Code has amended the FR procedures so that a pilot can't
"cherry-pick" from more than one FR containing different declarations.
Now, the IGC file of ALL FRs on board must be submitted with a
badge/record claim. para 4.6.4b

The Code has also been changed (para 1.4.3 and new para 3.0.2b) to limit
the number of distance records claimed in one flight - in particular, you
can no longer claim a declared record course and tack on the free distance
record. The philosophy of the change is that a record, in part, ought to
be honoured for its rarity and performance - getting a free record for
free, so to speak, goes against that.

--
Tony Burton
Old October 16th 04, 02:42 PM
Ian Cant

Marc,
I happily defer to your knowledge, but let
me ask this question. Let's say for some reason I
had stored in the FR three different declarations made
on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. If I fly on Saturday
with the Monday declaration selected, that is an accepted
valid declaration [I really hope I am correct in that
assertion at least]. Now let's say I also have on
board a paper declaration made on Tuesday evening.
Does that override all the electronic declarations,
or only the ones made on Monday and earlier on Tuesday
? Or does the electronic Wednesday version count as
'latest' even though not selected at flight time ?

Your answer makes it clear that the paper version overrrides
provided that the OO is aware of the existence of both
versions.
What if the pilot retrospectively decides he preferred
one of the electronic versions ? He says to OO, 'the
FR used my Monday declaration, but I intended to fly
the later Wednesday one' ? If the OO can adjudicate
that paper on Tuesday beats the stored FR from Monday,
can he not reasonably also adjudicate that electronic
stored Wednesday beats both of the above ?

Just asking, I'm happy to live with the rules 'as-interpreted'.

Ian

At 04:24 16 October 2004, Marc Ramsey wrote:
From the FAI perspective, the date/time of an electronic
declaration is

Old October 16th 04, 07:24 PM
Marc Ramsey

Ian Cant wrote:
Marc,
I happily defer to your knowledge, but let
me ask this question. Let's say for some reason I
had stored in the FR three different declarations made
on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. If I fly on Saturday
with the Monday declaration selected, that is an accepted
valid declaration [I really hope I am correct in that
assertion at least].

As "stephanevdv" stated, there is one (or no) valid electronic
declaration at any given time. Whatever task was the last declared
prior to takeoff is the one that applies.

Now let's say I also have on
board a paper declaration made on Tuesday evening.
Does that override all the electronic declarations,
or only the ones made on Monday and earlier on Tuesday
? Or does the electronic Wednesday version count as
'latest' even though not selected at flight time ?

SC3 Section 4.2.2a makes it quite clear that the last declaration made
before takeoff is the only valid one. So, if you make an electronic
declaration after a paper declaration signed and dated by the OO, the
electronic declaration applies.

Your answer makes it clear that the paper version overrrides
provided that the OO is aware of the existence of both
versions.

What if the pilot retrospectively decides he preferred
one of the electronic versions ? He says to OO, 'the
FR used my Monday declaration, but I intended to fly
the later Wednesday one' ? If the OO can adjudicate
that paper on Tuesday beats the stored FR from Monday,
can he not reasonably also adjudicate that electronic
stored Wednesday beats both of the above ?

The OO must be aware of the paper declaration, as the OO must sign and
date it. If it is not signed and dated by the OO, it is not a
declaration. The OO will be aware of the electronic declaration, as the
OO is required to review the IGC file after the flight. The OO must use
the last made declaration, whether paper or electronic.

Marc
Old October 17th 04, 02:04 AM
John Gilbert

OH, gee, Eric, I know we have to get down to brass tacks when we
disagree. I always learn something when you have lively discussions
with any of us.

My replies follow in context below.

Eric Greenwell wrote in message ...
John Gilbert wrote:

The (USA) State record rules say "Except as provided by these rules,
State Records shall comply with the FAI Sporting Code, Section 3
("SC3") and to the additional requirements of Section 6.0 below."

Even though they "must comply with the Sporting Code", the rules are not
part of the Sporting Code. State records are operated independent of the
FAI system, and simply copy the rules.

Agreed, my point exactly. One must follow the Sporting Code rules.

In the Sporting Code Section 3, Chapter 4.2.2 Declaration Validity,
paragraph a. "The last declaration made before takeoff is the only one
valid for the flight, but a concurrently flown and different
competition task is allowed."

I think you have to read these context: these rules apply to FAI flight
achievements, not SSA records, which are not part of the FAI system.

Ah, I read this literally. "The last declaration made before takeoff
is the only one valid for the flight, ..."

One declaration per flight. Not one declaration per organization. Not
one declaration per rule making body.

So I don't see any way that more than one (valid) declaration can
exist for a flight AND still comply with the Sporting Code.

I agree with that you that Sporting Code allows only one valid
declaration for a Badge or World Record flight. This is to prevent the
pilot from choosing declaration in or after flight. But why can't you
have another declaration for another set of rules by a different
organization? This declaration would not be valid for FAI badge or World
record claims - no question about that -but it would/should be valid for
a USA state record claim. Because the SSA State rules only allow one
valid declaration, the declaration for the FAI badges, etc., would not
be valid for the State Record attempt.

These are separate sets of rules, and even though the SSA State record
rules reference the FAI rules, they are NOT FAI rules!

True, but if the FAI rules say one declaration per flight, then that
is it.

Either
the one in the flight recorder is the last one made, or the paper one
is the last one made. Maybe you can talk an OO into verifying a flight
with two "valid" declarations, but I think it is not in the intention
of the rules to do so. It ain't, well, sporting.

The OO is not being asked to verify a claim with two "valid"
declarations, he just observes the flight and attests to the correctness
of the procedures and documentation. The FAI badge claim, with

The procedure is to have one declaration for the flight, as I read it.

supporting documentation (including the declaration made for the FAI),
is sent to the FAI Award representative (Judy Ruprecht currently) for
the USA. She evaluates the claim.

The SSA State record claim, with it's supporting documentation
(including the declaration made for the SSA), is sent to the SSA record
keeper for the State, who evaluates the claim for the State.

The intent of the FAI rules is to have one declaration, and only one,
apply to the Badge/world record claim, and that would be achieved; ditto
for the SSA record claim. The pilot would not be allowed to pick which
declaration went with which claim after the flight.

Only starting and finish points, and turnpoints, are required on a
declaration.
There seems to be no requirement to declare what attempt is being
made. There is no place in my flight recorder to say what performance
is to be claimed. How can an OO know which declaration went with which
claim after the flight?

I see nothing unsporting about following the rules. The claim for a
badge/world record is not affected in any way by a concurrent claim for
an SSA state record. No matter what was on each declaration, it would
not have the slightest impact on the claim supported by the other
declaration.

Concurrent claims are not the issue. FAI and national and (in US)
state claims all can be made on one declaration and its corresponding
flight. And free distance claims can be made on declared flights with
declared performance.

I have no doubt that SSA rules could allow a separate declaration for
a different declared performance, and as you describe, would not
conflict with the FAI rules. But I don't see any such exception.
Apparently, neither did Judy, after reading her previous email.

Since it seems like this has not come up before, I doubt that there is
any precedence, so it would be wise to discuss this with Judy R and your
state record keeper before trying it. My opinion may not sway the people
that have to evaluate your claim!

Well, I really think that you got your answer. If Judy R sees two
different claims coming in from the same person/same flight she is
going to see if there were two declarations. The big question is,
which claim will not be validated? I think it will be the one that
goes with the declaration with the earlier time (stamp).

Regards,
John
Old October 17th 04, 03:20 AM
Eric Greenwell

John Gilbert wrote:

In the Sporting Code Section 3, Chapter 4.2.2 Declaration Validity,
paragraph a. "The last declaration made before takeoff is the only one
valid for the flight, but a concurrently flown and different
competition task is allowed."

I think you have to read these context: these rules apply to FAI flight
achievements, not SSA records, which are not part of the FAI system.

Ah, I read this literally. "The last declaration made before takeoff
is the only one valid for the flight, ..."

One declaration per flight. Not one declaration per organization. Not
one declaration per rule making body.

This is the part that I don't think is clear. I believe the rules refer
to FAI purposes only, and the rule isn't explicit about it because the
writers thought it obvious or didn't imagine the circumstance. From the
other rules, it's clear the intention of the writers is to prevent the
pilot from choosing a different set of points after takeoff, and the
method I describe does this. I suggest that the "The last declaration
made before takeoff is the only one valid for the flight,..." is just
imprecise writing that makes it more restrictive than was intended for
the purpose of prohibiting post-launch choosing.

snip

Only starting and finish points, and turnpoints, are required on a
declaration.
There seems to be no requirement to declare what attempt is being
made. There is no place in my flight recorder to say what performance
is to be claimed. How can an OO know which declaration went with which
claim after the flight?

The pilot fills out two paper forms, labels one "FAI badge attempt", and
the other, "SSA record attempt". These are signed and dated by the OO,
and the pilot doesn't attempt to make a declaration to the logger.

[...]

THis part of my reasoning: Judy only gets the FAI documentation, NOT the
State record documentation, which goes the State record keeper.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA
Old October 17th 04, 07:31 AM
John Gilbert

(Tom Serkowski) wrote in message . com...
It may be copied into the flight log, but I doubt the declaration time
is changed to the current time. The time of the declaration should be
the time at which you pressed "save" when originally making it.

If you then make several flights, all will have this same declaration
time.

-Tom

Tom,

Have you verified that with your Volkslogger? Every .igc file from
mine has the first "C record", where the declaration date is supposed
to be, the same date and time as the first "B record", the fix data.
(see TECHNICAL SPECIFICATION
FOR IGC-APPROVED GNSS FLIGHT RECORDERS somewhere on the FAI website)

Just to make sure I am interpreting my IGC files correctly, I looked
in the Volkslogger manual (2/21/2000), p. 24. "During the turn-on of
the instrument, the recording of a new IGC-file commmences
immediately. At this time the data, which are still in the declaration
form, are copied automatically into the corresponding places of the
IGC-files. The "automatic" declaration is, like any other declaration,
coded with the date and time of the turn-on."

In essence, one is declaring when one turns on the Volkslogger.

Regards,
John

(John Gilbert) wrote in message . com...

PS Volkslogger (and other?) flight recorder owners need to be aware
that the Volkslogger will automatically declare the most recently
stored declaration before each following flight, when power is turned
on. If you declare on paper, then climb in the glider and take off,
the last valid declaration will be in the flight recorder. You need to
declare on paper, after you power up the Volkslogger.

Old October 17th 04, 05:06 PM
Daniel

some deleted
Well, I really think that you got your answer. If Judy R sees two
different claims coming in from the same person/same flight she is
going to see if there were two declarations. The big question is,
which claim will not be validated? I think it will be the one that
goes with the declaration with the earlier time (stamp).

Regards,
John

I hate to interfere, but IGC Sporting code SC3-1999-AL5, page 14,
article 4.2.2 a, says "the LAST (emphasis mine) declaration made
before take-off is the only one valid for the flight, but a
concurrently flown and different competition task is allowed."
I agree, one declaration per flight; the last, whether electronic or
on paper. We're just lucky to live in a place where one can conceive
of multiple tasks/records on one flight!
Old October 17th 04, 11:54 PM
John Gilbert

Daniel,

Maybe I wrote unclearly, I think we agree. The latest declaration is the
valid one, any earlier declarations are not valid.

John

some deleted