Antennae

Old July 23rd 19, 05:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

Default Antennae

Today's analysis from 2 OGN receivers of my PowerFLARM with a single antenna, Craggy part number 500107, mounted to the glare shield.
Looks like about 270 degrees of 20km range better than 10dB.
Jim

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nidqq8s4s...KIQg2dCta?dl=0

Old July 23rd 19, 07:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Actually, putting the Flarm antenna in the vertical stabilizer works well. Of course, how well I "see" another glider depends on their Flarm installation. For example, I "see" K4 and DZ consistently at 8-10 miles. DL and 4AF at not more than one mile. 5E and L6 at 4-5 miles.

The SZD 55-1 has a battery box at the base of the vertical stabilizer. I took the battery out, and put the Flarm in the battery box. The Flarm and ADS-B antenna are mounted in the gap between the rudder and the vertical fin.. The Flarm antenna is located as high as possible but below the metal components of the horizontal stabilizer. The ADS-B antenna is located as low as possible, but above the mass balance weight. This gives a very short distance between the Flarm and the antennas. The trick was running the data cable forward to the Butterfly display.

The comm antenna is located in the vertical fin, the transponder antenna is bonded to the inside of the fuselage aft of the main gear.

P9
Old July 23rd 19, 12:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The trick was running the data cable forward to the Butterfly display.

I guess you're not going to tell us your trick?

Old July 23rd 19, 05:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John McCullagh[_3_]

It is interesting how a thread diverges from the original question. I
posted this new thread because I had been talking to a former world
champion who has just taken delivery of a Ventus 3M. Schempp-Hirth put
three aerials in the fin: radio, transponder and PowerFlarm apparently
without problems, and they should know. Many of the replies in this thread
have been why this wouldn't work. I originally asked whether it was also
possible to put in an ADS-B aerial. I will be asking Schempps but I thought
I would ask around first.

=
Of course, how well I "see" another glider depends on their Flarm
installa=
tion. For example, I "see" K4 and DZ consistently at 8-10 miles. DL and
4A=
F at not more than one mile. 5E and L6 at 4-5 miles.=20

The SZD 55-1 has a battery box at the base of the vertical stabilizer. I
t=
ook the battery out, and put the Flarm in the battery box. The Flarm and
A=
DS-B antenna are mounted in the gap between the rudder and the vertical
fin=
.. The Flarm antenna is located as high as possible but below the metal
com=
ponents of the horizontal stabilizer. The ADS-B antenna is located as

low
=
as possible, but above the mass balance weight. This gives a very short
di=
stance between the Flarm and the antennas. The trick was running the

data
=
cable forward to the Butterfly display. =20

The comm antenna is located in the vertical fin, the transponder antenna
is=
bonded to the inside of the fuselage aft of the main gear. =20

P9

Old July 23rd 19, 08:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, July 23, 2019 at 5:15:07 PM UTC+1, John McCullagh wrote:
It is interesting how a thread diverges from the original question. I
posted this new thread because I had been talking to a former world
champion who has just taken delivery of a Ventus 3M. Schempp-Hirth put
three aerials in the fin: radio, transponder and PowerFlarm apparently
without problems, and they should know. Many of the replies in this thread
have been why this wouldn't work. I originally asked whether it was also
possible to put in an ADS-B aerial. I will be asking Schempps but I thought
I would ask around first.

I have a V3M due soon with a transponder and 9070 + PF/ADSB/Dual antenna options. The primary Flarm BD12, transponder, and radio antennae are going in the fin . As John M says, SH report that the various fin antennae work OK together.

John Galloway