But it's a dry heat....

Old July 19th 05, 02:34 PM
Jay Honeck

A few years ago in August, I had to travel from Houston (90 degrees) to
Bakersfield (110): I was sooooo glad to get to Bakersfield!! :~)

True. I have stood on the Strip in Las Vegas when it was 116 degrees. No
one was venturing outside.

While it was truly impressive heat -- and not something I would care to
sleep outside in -- it was *nothing* compared to 95 degrees on a humid day
here in Iowa. Stepping into the shade in Vegas resulted in immediate (if
relative) comfort -- there is NO relief from humidity, other than air
conditioning.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 19th 05, 04:59 PM
Ken W

"Matt Barrow" wrote:

Ever hear of "Heat Index"?

Matt,

What the poster rather rudely objected to was your quoted RH of 90%
and temp of 104 F. The dew points during the 1995 Chicago heat wave
(which I'll assume you were referring to) were in the upper 70s
(degrees F) and lower 80s, which translate to a RH of about 50% during
the peak temps of the day. Of course, the RH would shoot up to over
90% as the temperatures dropped during the night so your quote of 90%
RH wasn't entirely incorrect. You remain correct in the thrust of
your argument: The heat index in Chicago (temp: 104 F, DP: 80 F) was
127 F and the heat index for your Phoenix example (temp: 120 F, RH:
6%) was 111 F. As for that rude poster, it is indeed unfortunate that
some people in usenet seek to bolster their weak egos by rudely trying
to instigate a ****ing contest when a simple polite correction would
suffice. The poster in this case took a friendly thread and turned it
ugly with a single post. Congrats, "Dan Luke", do you feel better
about yourself now?

- Ken -

Old July 19th 05, 05:25 PM
Dan Luke

"Ken W" wrote:

The poster in this case took a friendly thread and turned it
ugly with a single post.

Matt and I don't tread too lightly on each other's feelings. The last thing
he told me in another thread was "kiss my bass." It's not meant with ill
will.

Congrats, "Dan Luke", do you feel better about yourself now?

Certainly!

--
Dan
C-172RG at BFM

Old July 19th 05, 05:31 PM
Doug Semler

"Dan Luke" spewed this drivel:
"Matt Barrow" wrote:
The same day it hit 104 in Chicago and ...the humidity was 90+/-
percent.
Baloney.
Look at a psychometric chart:
http://www.rfcafe.com/references/gen...tric_chart.htm

Ever hear of "Heat Index"?

Yes.

What's that got to do with your made-up statement that the temperature was
104 F. and the humidity was 90%?

Did you attempt to understand the chart?

First off, it's psychRometric.

Do you understand relative humidity?

According to NOAA, July of 1995 (about which I presume Matt is talking)
had the following (from
http://www.crh.noaa.gov/lot/science/jul1395/jul1395.htm)
quote
In the immediate Chicago region, surface dew points held in the upper
70s to near 80 however the temperature exceeded 100 degF for several
hours. Heat Index values were greater than 115 degrees for much of the
midday and afternoon hours...reaching 125 degrees for the 2145UTC
observation from Midway (MDW). In fact, the mercury remained at or
above 100 degF at MDW for seven hours, from 13/1800UTC to 14/0100UTC.
This extraordinary length may be partially due to the more urban
location of the field.
/quote

Now, I am going to use the following readings:
104 degrees F for the temperature (the "official" high)
80 degrees F for the dew point.

According to the formula RH =~ 100((112 - .1T - Td)/(112 + .9T))^8,
where T = observed temperature and Td = dew point temperature, I get a
relative humidity of 88.32%.

P.S. A heat index of 125!?!? That's definitely "stay at home and hope
the AC doesn't go out on me" weather!

Old July 19th 05, 05:31 PM
John T

I have a whole house dehumidifier in my basement...and very thick stone
walls. Humidity used to be a problem that would cause my tools to rust,
and make it unbearable to work down there, even though it was cooler.

Now, its something like 80 degrees down there, and around 50%
humidity...man, that feels GREAT, and I can work without working up a
sweat down there.

Old July 19th 05, 05:38 PM
Matt Barrow

"Dan Luke" wrote in message

"Matt Barrow" wrote:
The same day it hit 104 in Chicago and ...the humidity was 90+/-
percent.

Baloney.

Look at a psychometric chart:

http://www.rfcafe.com/references/gen...tric_chart.htm

Ever hear of "Heat Index"?

Yes.

What's that got to do with your made-up statement that the temperature was
104 F. and the humidity was 90%?

How was that made up? Check the weather records from June, 1990. Do a google
search on heat related deaths in Chicago.

Did you attempt to understand the chart?

Yes, and I understand your point, thank you. I assume your point is that one
would perspire more at 120 than at 104. If so, that wasn't my point.

One thing...When the desert gets how it still cools substantially during the
evening and night. When humid air gets hot (like the 104-105 that Chicago
had, the heat effect holds. I suspect that a couple days of this is what
kills so many and did back in 1990.

Old July 19th 05, 05:48 PM
Doug Semler

Why can't my buttons work right.

mea culpa. That should be 37.4 % RH.

Grrrr.

Still, a heat index of 125 is insane....:-/

Old July 19th 05, 05:49 PM
Matt Barrow

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
A few years ago in August, I had to travel from Houston (90 degrees) to
Bakersfield (110): I was sooooo glad to get to Bakersfield!! :~)

True. I have stood on the Strip in Las Vegas when it was 116 degrees. No
one was venturing outside.

No one sane, anyways.

While it was truly impressive heat -- and not something I would care to
sleep outside in -- it was *nothing* compared to 95 degrees on a humid day
here in Iowa.

One thing I like out here in the west is that it can be 100 during the day,
but you have to close the windows at night for it being too cool in the
middle of the night. Today is 98, last night was 57.

Stepping into the shade in Vegas resulted in immediate (if
relative) comfort -- there is NO relief from humidity, other than air
conditioning.

Yup...the humidity follows you around (chases you, actually).

--
Matt
---------------------

Old July 19th 05, 05:58 PM
Matt Barrow

"Ken W" wrote in message
"Matt Barrow" wrote:

Ever hear of "Heat Index"?

Matt,

What the poster rather rudely objected to was your quoted RH of 90%
and temp of 104 F. The dew points during the 1995 Chicago heat wave
(which I'll assume you were referring to) were in the upper 70s
(degrees F) and lower 80s, which translate to a RH of about 50% during
the peak temps of the day.

I was actually referring to the heat around June 22, 1990. At that time
Phoenix hit 122, and Chicago hit 104 or 105. I have several relatives in
Chicago and in Phoenix that gave us the low down. I also recall watching the
TV news about Chicago's heat related deaths.

Sorry if my memory isn' that sharp after 15 years. :~)

Also, I was equating "comfort index", which I would guess can get to a
lethal level at high enough humidity. As mentioned, I had to fly from
Houston to Bakersfield and was happy to get to Bakersfield (once I got into
the shade) after that sauna in Houston.

Of course, the RH would shoot up to over
90% as the temperatures dropped during the night so your quote of 90%
RH wasn't entirely incorrect. You remain correct in the thrust of
your argument: The heat index in Chicago (temp: 104 F, DP: 80 F) was
127 F and the heat index for your Phoenix example (temp: 120 F, RH:
6%) was 111 F.

Again, I don't recall the exact numbers, but IIRC, Chicago lost nearly 100
people during that heat spell, while Phoenix (which dropped to something
like 85 at night) lost maybe a handful.

As for that rude poster, it is indeed unfortunate that
some people in usenet seek to bolster their weak egos by rudely trying
to instigate a ****ing contest when a simple polite correction would
suffice. The poster in this case took a friendly thread and turned it
ugly with a single post.

Understanding the context (as your data showed) would have been sufficient.

I'm known for a hot temper, but I usually try to make a subtle correction
first.

I suspect Dan and I are similar that way.

--
Matt
---------------------

Old July 19th 05, 06:03 PM
Matt Barrow

"Dan Luke" wrote in message

"Ken W" wrote:

The poster in this case took a friendly thread and turned it
ugly with a single post.

Matt and I don't tread too lightly on each other's feelings. The last

thing
he told me in another thread was "kiss my bass." It's not meant with ill
will.

I also told you to quit carping.

This board could put together a World Championship team for "Triva Pursuit".
Unfortunately, many of us have the sensitivity (not to mention _tact_) of a
Abrams tank with a stuck cruise control.

--
Matt

Induction System Water Problem Mike Spera Owning 1 January 30th 05 05:29 AM
Any metallurgist's on the group, I want to heat treat aluminum? [email protected] Home Built 3 December 11th 04 11:50 AM
Use of Carb Heat John Kirksey Piloting 4 November 30th 04 07:26 PM
Painting and air cooled motor? CitizenX Home Built 5 June 30th 04 12:47 PM
pitot heat question K. Ari Krupnikov Instrument Flight Rules 7 December 11th 03 01:51 AM