BUFFs - index.jpg (1/1) [49K]

Old March 4th 07, 12:16 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Gunny Jim

Default BUFFs - B-52H Stratofortress first in Afghanistan taxi to t-o 2001-10-07.jpg - 1 attachment

I might try at a friend's house on Monday though.

JT

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of Diego Garcia.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	7670
Old March 4th 07, 12:54 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
muff528

Fidel Perez wrote:

"Grumpy AuContraire" wrote in message

DAN wrote:

Netko wrote:

I thought these might be of interest here

I like this one: the first BUFF to take it to the Talibans after 9/11.
Notice the firemen crew.

Sure looks like Diego Garcia to me!

Returning aircraft obviously...

JT

(Fond memories at NKW)

Returning aircraft? Full PBRs and the drogue chute door is closed! I
don't think so.

If it is Diego, the aircraft is traveling north at the end of a 12,000+
runway. Maybe I should have said "arriving."

JT

Wow! -- by comparing the photo with the "Google Maps" aerial view of DG
the position of the a/c can be
approximated. It looks like it's pointed NW and is just south of the
halfway point of the taxiway. I compared
features such as the mowed grassy area on the far side of the road in the
background and the white sandy corner
as well as runway stripes to make my guess. It looks like the photo was
taken approx due south. From the shadow
position it appears to be mid afternoon. From the shape of the "grassy
island" under the right wing, my guess
is that the photo was taken from the area just to the NW of that patch of
grass where the "big pond" is.

Tony P.

You might well be right as it's been nearly fifteen years since my last
contract out there. I'm on dialup and Google map stuff is much too
painstaking for me.

I might try at a friend's house on Monday though.

JT

Here's a direct link to the google map image. Hope this is quick enough for
your connection.

http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&...14462&t=h&om=1

BTW- This looks like a great spot for some offshore fishing action! I
noticed some
small craft anchored in the harbor :-)

-TP

Old March 4th 07, 02:48 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Grumpy AuContraire[_2_]

Gunny Jim wrote:

Pic

I think that's a pretty old pic that even precedes the time that I was
there. I'm looking through my files for some pics shot in late '92 which
show a radar tower (that never worked) that was situated about midway
down on the road side of the large parking apron. Also, a lot of pads
were in place for temporary structures (tents) for billeting, messing
and logistics for the Air Force.

After a little search, I found this shot that was taken in the early
1990's. It is a high view looking south. The tower I mentioned is
evident about half way down the road.

JT

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DGrunway.2.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	469.2 KB
ID:	7671
Old March 4th 07, 02:55 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Grumpy AuContraire[_2_]

DAN wrote:

Netko wrote:

[...]

Thanks! It worked great and in fact I'm going to send the link to my
friend who also worked out there when I did.

It really shows the new construction and I believe those four "balloon"
hangars are for B-2 bombers, yes?

BTW, I don't really have any interest in fishing but have been an avid
SCUBA diver but the friggin' Brits wouldn't allow sport diving. Even
chickens, cats 'n donkeys were "protected" animals out there...

JT

Old March 4th 07, 03:37 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Wayne Paul

Here is the current Google Earth image.

Wayne
http://www.soaridaho.com/

Gunny Jim wrote:

Pic

I think that's a pretty old pic that even precedes the time that I was
there. I'm looking through my files for some pics shot in late '92 which
show a radar tower (that never worked) that was situated about midway
down on the road side of the large parking apron. Also, a lot of pads
were in place for temporary structures (tents) for billeting, messing
and logistics for the Air Force.

After a little search, I found this shot that was taken in the early
1990's. It is a high view looking south. The tower I mentioned is
evident about half way down the road.

JT

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Googe_Earth_Image.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	7672
Old March 4th 07, 02:33 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
muff528

I notice, by "exploring" the island through Google Maps, that there is a lot
of vegetation
that is growing in straight lines, particularly on the eastern leg of the
atoll. I wonder if
this is an agricultural endeavor, ie groves or orchards of some sort. I
suppose they could
have also been planted to replace harvested timber or for wind breaks. Or
maybe it could
be some species that naturally grows in straight rows and columns. :-)

Also - I don't recall Diego Garcia being mentioned in the news during the
2004 tsunami
so I googled "diego garcia tsunami" and was interested to find that the
island largely
escaped damage primarily because of the topography of the surrounding ocean
floor.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...-imagery-3.htm

A lot of interesting info concerning the tsunami and DG....including
"conspiracy theories", etc.
There is a lot of satellite imagery of the base taken at different times. I
noticed a lack of
fighter aircraft in all images I've seen. I would have thought there would
be a contingent of
fighters for defense of the base. Maybe it's considered unnecessary given
the remote location.

Old March 4th 07, 03:20 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Grumpy AuContraire[_2_]

muff528 wrote:

I notice, by "exploring" the island through Google Maps, that there is a lot
of vegetation
that is growing in straight lines, particularly on the eastern leg of the
atoll. I wonder if
this is an agricultural endeavor, ie groves or orchards of some sort. I
suppose they could
have also been planted to replace harvested timber or for wind breaks. Or
maybe it could
be some species that naturally grows in straight rows and columns. :-)

The east side of the island is the location of the old plantation which
even had a small railroad. (See attached pic of a Brit security guy with
their mascot). I have a number of aerial photos stashed showing good
shots of the plantation house and other buildings most of which are or
have been restored with "volunteer" labor.

Also - I don't recall Diego Garcia being mentioned in the news during the
2004 tsunami
so I googled "diego garcia tsunami" and was interested to find that the
island largely
escaped damage primarily because of the topography of the surrounding ocean
floor.

Atolls are not prone to tsunamis due to the depth of the surrounding
ocean and the lack of a gradually rising off shore shelf. Diego
probably got an eight inch wave. I remember on Kwajalein back in the
early 1970's when we got all of a 12 inch wave.

Diego however is in an active seismic activity area and had a
significant earthquake in the mid 1980's and all buildings are
constructed to be seismic resistant.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...-imagery-3.htm

A lot of interesting info concerning the tsunami and DG....including
"conspiracy theories", etc.
There is a lot of satellite imagery of the base taken at different times. I
noticed a lack of
fighter aircraft in all images I've seen. I would have thought there would
be a contingent of
fighters for defense of the base. Maybe it's considered unnecessary given
the remote location.

There is a large pre positioned fleet that resides at Diego and they
probably put out to sea as a precaution. Google COMPSRON 2.

JT

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DiegoRR.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	7699
Old March 4th 07, 06:06 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Papa Fox

Notice just to the left of the 4 "buble" hangers, there are scorch
marks from apparently engine starts. Where the 52's and 135's are
parked you can see additional scorch marks. What puzzles me is that
the scorch marks nearest and to the left of the leftmost bubble hanger
seem to be from an a/c pointed the "wrong" way compared to the rest of
the a/c in the picture. P.

Old March 5th 07, 01:07 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
muff528

"Papa Fox" wrote in message
Notice just to the left of the 4 "buble" hangers, there are scorch
marks from apparently engine starts. Where the 52's and 135's are
parked you can see additional scorch marks. What puzzles me is that
the scorch marks nearest and to the left of the leftmost bubble hanger
seem to be from an a/c pointed the "wrong" way compared to the rest of
the a/c in the picture. P.

Here's a shot showing 2 B-1's parked "the wrong way", one of which is in
that very slot. Maybe they don't want to smoke that little shed just off the
ramp :-)
Plenty of room to park somewhere else, though.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...0050101_05.htm