Electrical Help? Shielded speaker wires, but still static...

Old March 2nd 10, 07:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Default Electrical Help? Shielded speaker wires, but still static...

On Mar 2, 11:34*am, Doug Hoffman wrote:
On Mar 2, 3:23*am, "noel.wade" wrote:

Any electric gurus out there willing to help?

Ever since re-doing the wiring in my DG-300 last year, I get
intermittent loud static on my radio. *It seems to be connected to
whether or not I have ship's power going to my EW MicroRecorder. *The
odd thing is that I followed the Becker wiring instructions and made
sure to use a shielded wire for the connection from the Becker to the
remote speaker/PCB assembly. *I would love ideas on how to help stop
this! *Details below - any thoughts, see anything obvious that I'm
failing to do?

I've a Becker panel radio. *Last year it suddenly became unusable due
to loud intermittent "static" noise. *I finally tried turning the
squelch screw on the side of the case, you may have to remove your
radio to get at it. *That fixed it. *Have no idea what changed. *Has
worked flawlessly ever since.

Regards,

-Doug

That may make the symptom go away but the risks now is not being able
to hear weak radio transmissions.
The extra concern here was you described it as a "loud noise". If its
something that is breaking squelch with a large signal turning up
squelch to silence this is a bad idea.

If this suddenly started happening it could be something as simple as
a wire behind the panel moved closer to another, a poor connector or
break developing in a coaxial cable (cable flexed differently than
previously), etc. It it may be worth trying to diagnose the root
cause. Start with identifying what device is causing the periodic
interference. Start by turning down the squelch so that you get fairly
often occurring interference then poke around to make that better/
worse.

Darryl
Old March 2nd 10, 07:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Doug Hoffman[_3_]

On Mar 2, 2:48*pm, Darryl Ramm wrote:

That may make the symptom go away but the risks now is not being able
to hear weak radio transmissions.

It it may be worth trying to diagnose the root
cause. Start with identifying what device is causing the periodic
interference.

Thanks Darryl,

I'll check it out.

Regards,

-Doug

Old March 3rd 10, 02:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

Thanks for the tips so far, all.

One note: There is a ferrite toroid on the Goddard EW DB9f connector
within about 3 inches of the EW MicroRecorder, and close to the PDA
hookup as well. My PDA and antenna are slightly different; but I use
basically this exact setup:
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/godda...c-DB9f-0-3.jpg
(Note that the actual red-black power leads connect up at the DB-9
connector and have no ferrite toroids close-by. Not sure if that
matters)

Maybe I ought to try the Radio-shack noise filter that's discussed
over at the AeroElectric Connection site (http://www.markdownalley.com/
products/270-051.jpg), and wire it just up-stream from the radio?

I'll also play with the Coax antenna connector and let you all know
what I find!

Take care,

--Noel

Old March 3rd 10, 03:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Mar 2, 6:45*pm, "noel.wade" wrote:
[...]

Have you tried combinations of the PDA powered off while the EW is on
to see if it is the PDA or EW that is causing interference?

I would do the easiest change possible first. Run each of the red and
black wired though a ferrite toroid (one large enough to wrap the wire
through a few times. Try it as far up the wire as you can. Keep those
red/black wires as short as possible.

Change one thing at once. Start by trying to fix interference at its
source not the receiver unless you have to.

Radio Shack junk: not in my glider!

Darryl

Old March 7th 10, 05:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

So in true troubleshooting/gremlin fashion, I spent over an hour
trying to get the radio to make static yesterday, and couldn't. :-P
Argh!

If this is a problem that only appears when I'm airborne, it's going
to be a real pain to track down!
*sigh*

--Noel

Old March 7th 10, 05:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Mar 7, 9:39*am, "noel.wade" wrote:
So in true troubleshooting/gremlin fashion, I spent over an hour
trying to get the radio to make static yesterday, and couldn't. :-P
Argh!

If this is a problem that only appears when I'm airborne, it's going
to be a real pain to track down!
*sigh*

--Noel

Noel

Do you have a transponder? If not ignore the rest of this post.

If you do this could be related to transponder interrogation. Possibly
a combination of noise from two sources breaking squelch.

With a transponder the same basic comments apply, with coupling either
through the power supplies or RF. If you switch briefly to standby in
flight does the noise go away? If so start with the power supplies and
try putting a filter/choke on the transponder power supply leads close
to the unit. Also look at the transponder coax cable for problems.

Ground radars will interrogate your transponder typically at 5 second
(approach radar) or 12 second (area radar) intervals, of course you
may be interrogated by multiple radars and also TCAS and similar
systems (that can be at much higher rates (~1/sec). On the ground you
may be outside of radar interrogation and if your transponder antenna
is under the glider (where it usually should be) may not see TCAS
interrogations on the ground. TCAS interrogations will come and go but
radar will be consistent. Repeatable noise bursts at these kind of
rates can be a clue its transponder related.

Darryl