foreign pilots replacing U.S. paper license

Old March 4th 10, 09:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Phillip LaBerge

Default foreign pilots replacing U.S. paper license

Hi everyone!
Any idea how a French pilot with U.S. licenses (paper) goes about
replacing them with the new plastic licenses..........without having
to come to the USA?
Old March 4th 10, 09:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

yes you should be able to do it through the FAA website. www.faa.gov

Old March 5th 10, 12:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Thu, 04 Mar 2010 13:53:54 -0800, Tony wrote:

On Mar 4, 3:05Â*pm, Phillip LaBerge wrote:
Hi everyone!
Any idea how a French pilot with U.S. licenses (paper) goes about
replacing them with the new plastic licenses..........without having to
come to the USA?

yes you should be able to do it through the FAA website. www.faa.gov

I don't think that works of your US license is grandfathered off your
French license. Mine is grandfathered off my UK license and the FAA
website said a visit in person to an FSDO was mandatory.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old March 5th 10, 02:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Springford

Strange coincidence, I was just talking to someone at the FAA about
this today. Basically as Martin said, you have to go to a FSDO in
person to do this.

The paper licenses are no longer usable after 31 March, but they don't
"expire". By this, I mean that you can still update the paper license
to the new plastic license after that date, you just can't fly with
it..

Well before your next trip to the US, go to the FAA website above and
start the paperwork so that you have it all in place before you get to
the US. Make an appointment at the closest FSDO and they can issue a
temporary that you may fly with and the plastic license will come in
the mail within 90 (?) days.
Old March 5th 10, 06:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa

On Mar 4, 3:05*pm, Phillip LaBerge wrote:
Hi everyone!
Any idea how a French pilot with U.S. licenses (paper) goes about
replacing them with the new plastic licenses..........without having
to come to the USA?

Hello Phillip,

Does he hold a normal paper FAA Pilot Certificate, issued when he
passed a FAA Practical Test?

Or does he have an old paper "Restricted" US FAA Pilot Certificate
"based upon" maintaining currency of his French pilot license?

If it is the old "Restricted" version I believe he has some choices:

1. Visit a FAA FSDO in the USA (by appointment.) A "Verification of
the Foreign License" may be required if the FAA does not consider it
"grandfathered in". Ask in advance. Search www.faa.gov for guidance
on the verification process.

2. Pass the written / take some dual, then schedule a Practical Test
for a "real" FAA Pilot Certificate with a (Designated) Pilot Examiner.

Burt
Marfa, west Texas USA
Old March 5th 10, 11:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brian Whatcott

Phillip LaBerge wrote:
Hi everyone!
Any idea how a French pilot with U.S. licenses (paper) goes about
replacing them with the new plastic licenses..........without having
to come to the USA?

The paper certificate expires end of this month.
For FAA certificates that are straight-forward, an application for a
plastic update can be made on line for a $2 fee.

If your license is non-standard however, it's more difficult.
In my case, I had an private on the basis of a UK private.
That's not eligible for online processing.
Some glider pilots have reported difficulty too.

In my case, the process needs a verification form from the CAA to the
FAA - for which the CAA wants payment in advance, then a face interview
at an FAA FSDO office.

Expecting two civil aviation bureaucracies to perform smoothly and
swiftly is unrealistic, so I am doing plan two presently, which goes
like this:

To get a FREE STANDING FAA certificate:
1) Prepare for the private written. (Sportys.com is helpful here.)
2) Find an instructor or examiner willing to sign a ready for test note.
3) Take the private written. 70% to pass. Cost me $150 to take it on
line to the FAA
4) Fly the flight eval hours (3 hours) and pass the oral.

5) Then the examiner can make the usual channel work.

This was for a private ASL - your mileage may vary

Brian W