Original Control Towers

Old March 6th 10, 06:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
glider[_2_]

Default Original Control Towers

Seeking older original towers. Not in operation but still have the
unaltered look from years past.
I know of one in Kingman, AZ. Do I recall that Hutchinson is
original? The old Graham Air Base in Marianna, Florida?
Bicester, England?

Thanks,

Bob Gaines

Old March 6th 10, 07:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
purt

http://www.towermuseumbassingbourn.co.uk/

That link will take you the tower museum in Bassingbourne England.
That field was home to the 91st Bomb group which just happened to have
the Memphis Belle as one of the planes in the group.
They say it is the only tower of it's kind left.
My dad flew a few missions as a waist gunner on a B-17 with the 91st.

There is also a replica of this type of tower at the Wright Patterson
Air Museum in Dayton, Ohio
Old March 6th 10, 10:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

On Mar 6, 1:07*pm, glider wrote:
*Seeking older original towers. Not in operation but still have the
unaltered look from years past.
*I know of one in Kingman, AZ. Do I recall that Hutchinson is
original? The old Graham Air Base in Marianna, Florida?
*Bicester, England?

*Thanks,

*Bob Gaines

Not sure if it is still there but I remember one at Hutchinson, KS and
there is still one at Logan, UT.
Old March 6th 10, 10:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Mar 6, 4:28*pm, Tim Taylor wrote:
On Mar 6, 1:07*pm, glider wrote:

*Seeking older original towers. Not in operation but still have the
unaltered look from years past.
*I know of one in Kingman, AZ. Do I recall that Hutchinson is
original? The old Graham Air Base in Marianna, Florida?
*Bicester, England?

*Thanks,

*Bob Gaines

Not sure if it is still there but I remember one at Hutchinson, KS and
there is still one at Logan, UT.

yes the old tower at Sunflower (Hutchinson Naval Air Station) is still
standing.
Old March 7th 10, 01:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BT[_3_]

the first "original" tower was a guy out on the runway with a wheel barrow
to hold his signal flags.

Old March 7th 10, 03:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

glider wrote:
Seeking older original towers. Not in operation but still have the
unaltered look from years past.
I know of one in Kingman, AZ. Do I recall that Hutchinson is
original? The old Graham Air Base in Marianna, Florida?
Bicester, England?

Thanks,

Bob Gaines

Why are you seeking older original towers?

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (netto to net to email me)

- "Transponders in Sailplanes - Feb/2010" also ADS-B, PCAS, Flarm
http://tinyurl.com/yb3xywl

- "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation Mar/2004" Much of what you need to know tinyurl.com/yfs7tnz
Old March 7th 10, 03:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

Stephen! wrote:
Eric Greenwell wrote in news:hmv69r$g88$1
@speranza.aioe.org:

Why are you seeking older original towers?

He just got his mail order rifle.

No, no, that doesn't make sense. They are a great place to put an
internet camera with 360 degree pan and a big zoom to watch for clouds,
check the wind sock, and see if anyone is getting ready to assemble and
fly. Must be some other reason.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (netto to net to email me)
Old March 7th 10, 05:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Mar 6, 1:07*pm, glider wrote:

*Seeking older original towers. Not in operation but still have the
unaltered look from years past.
*I know of one in Kingman, AZ. Do I recall that Hutchinson is
original? The old Graham Air Base in Marianna, Florida?
*Bicester, England?

*Thanks,

*Bob Gaines

Not sure if it is still there but I remember one at Hutchinson, KS and
there is still one at Logan, UT.

yes the old tower at Sunflower (Hutchinson Naval Air Station) is still
standing.

Yeah, but take a guide before entering. It's good to know where the
stairs are sound.
Old March 7th 10, 05:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bret

On Mar 6, 10:22*pm, "Stephen!" wrote:
Eric Greenwell wrote in news:hmv8am$j20$1
@speranza.aioe.org:

If you can move the London Bridge across the ocean, what's a little
tower?

Why are you seeking older original towers?

*He just got his mail order rifle.

No, no, that doesn't make sense. They are a great place to put an
internet camera with 360 degree pan and a big zoom to watch for clouds,
check the wind sock, and see if anyone is getting ready to assemble and
fly. Must be some other reason.

* Woosh!

--
RCOS #7