Car/Truck to pull glider trailer

Old May 25th 18, 07:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

Default Car/Truck to pull glider trailer

My 2006 Subaru Forester manual gets 9.6 km/l towing compared to about 11.5 km/l in the summer.

The 2008 SF automatic ate more gas with all the downshifts pulling a trailer.
Old May 25th 18, 11:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

I found the Suburban 2500 to be an excellent tow vehicle. Towed my nimbus 4 so well i had to hang a reminder on review mirror that I was towing. Truck and trailer had over a 400 mile range so on long drives I sent myself up for relief on the move. Loved the bench seat for long drives!

On Tuesday, March 24, 2015 at 9:04:01 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Hi All,

I am new to this group and last fall added a glider rating to my ASEL certificate.

I am planning to replace my car this summer and in anticipation of purchasing a glider someday, I would like to purchase a vehicle that would do a good job towing a glider. I also want it to get the best gas mileage that it can while still being a good tow vehicle. I don't want something that is marginal and will make long distance towing a stressful affair, but also don't want a vehicle that is overkill.

What is the typical range o gross weights of a single seat glider plus trailer?

Recommendations on a good tow vehicles?

Thanks for your help

Bill

Old May 26th 18, 01:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Manley[_3_]

The 2017 Tesla Model X I am leasing is a amazing tow vehicle. Other than the range reduction (about 200 mile max between charges) that is more obvious when driving a vehicle that makes you aware of your energy consumption, its 5500 lb weight, low center of gravity, 550 bhp, all-wheel drive, and 500 ftlb of torque instantly available at all speeds (starting at zero) make it a great tow vehicle for my Cobra 30 ft all-aluminum 15m trailer. If I don't look back, I don't even know its back there.

The 200 hundred mile max between charges is conservative, ensuring 20% of battery capacity on arrival. With Tesla's nation-wide network of fast chargers located 50-150 miles apart along all the interstate highways, long distance travel is not problem, and I can usually be recharged in 30 minutes, about the same amount of time it takes be to rest, stretch, and pee.

Old May 26th 18, 01:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Manley[_3_]

On Saturday, May 26, 2018 at 8:47:37 AM UTC-4, Scott Manley wrote:
The 2017 Tesla Model X I am leasing is a amazing tow vehicle. Other than the range reduction (about 200 mile max between charges) that is more obvious when driving a vehicle that makes you aware of your energy consumption, its 5500 lb weight, low center of gravity, 550 bhp, all-wheel drive, and 500 ftlb of torque instantly available at all speeds (starting at zero) make it a great tow vehicle for my Cobra 30 ft all-aluminum 15m trailer. If I don't look back, I don't even know its back there.

The 200 hundred mile max between charges is conservative, ensuring 20% of battery capacity on arrival. With Tesla's nation-wide network of fast chargers located 50-150 miles apart along all the interstate highways, long distance travel is not problem, and I can usually be recharged in 30 minutes, about the same amount of time it takes me to rest, stretch, and pee.

'Sorry if this repeats; I was trying to fix a typo.

Old May 26th 18, 04:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]

On Saturday, May 26, 2018 at 7:39:44 AM UTC-7, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
[...]

What about Reno to Ely to Nephi on the loneliest highway in the US?
Old May 26th 18, 04:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Saturday, May 26, 2018 at 8:47:37 AM UTC-4, Scott Manley wrote:
The 2017 Tesla Model X I am leasing is a amazing tow vehicle.

I think what I like best about my tow vehicle is that it isn't amazing at all. It turns 87 octane into forward motion with tolerable economy and rarely gives trouble.

T8
Old May 26th 18, 04:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ron Gleason

On Saturday, 26 May 2018 09:16:11 UTC-6, Richard Pfiffner wrote:
[...]

Tesla charging stations in Nephi next to the JC Mikelson's restaurant on south end of town. So progressive!
Old May 26th 18, 06:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

On Saturday, May 26, 2018 at 8:35:14 AM UTC-7, Ron Gleason wrote:
[...]

Nice, Ron!
Hadn't previously thought of JC Mikelson's as progressive.

The latest vehicle for me works very well, even towing the Duo in the mountains.
32 (US)MPG / 7.35l per 100km average since purchased. But at $30k the GLK250 is my most expensive car.
Jim
Old May 26th 18, 06:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Saturday, May 26, 2018 at 8:47:37 AM UTC-4, Scott Manley wrote:
The 2017 Tesla Model X I am leasing is a amazing tow vehicle.

I've heard that the electric motors of some hybrids can overheat when towing up a long grade. This might explain why the hybrid and non-hybrid version of the same model have different tow ratings.

Not an issue if you live in a flat place.