Maule has no performance?

Old October 7th 05, 05:09 PM
Robert M. Gary

Default Maule has no performance?

After spending a frustrated hour out at the CAP plane trying to finish
my questionnaire I finally called the aircraft manager asking where the
performance section to the POH went. Amazingly the Maule has none,
nothing nada. Not even expected cruise speed or fuel burn info. This
isn't some J-3 classic aircraft, this plane is a youngster but the FAA
apparently didn't ask them for any performance information. I guess
that makes the written CAP exam easier.

-Robert

Old October 7th 05, 06:25 PM
Michael

This
isn't some J-3 classic aircraft, this plane is a youngster but the FAA
apparently didn't ask them for any performance information.

Check out your POH. Note that it has sections that are FAA approved,
and sections that are not. Performance is not. If it's not FAA
approved, it's not FAA required. I hear Maule does it that way to keep
lawsuits down.

Michael

Old October 7th 05, 06:43 PM
Maule Driver

That's what Ray Maule told me when I was down flying with him. If it's
not required, it's not there. Limit liability where you can seems to be
the motto.

Never missed it either.

Old October 7th 05, 07:08 PM
Robert M. Gary

I guess as a Maule driver you haven't missed it but as a CAP pilot who
seems the Maule as one of a number of planes on the ramp, it would be
good to know how speed/fuel burn to expect when you hop in.

-Robert

Old October 7th 05, 09:56 PM
Maule Driver

I guess it would.

FWIW, In my 180HP fixed pitch MX7180a I flight plan 10gph (conservative,
I can do anything with that assumption). I get 9 GPH with 1 hour or
greater leg and 1 TO and 1 Landing. I can get 8.1 by aggressive
leaning, flying over 7000feet on a 4 hour+ leg. All assume 2500rpm.

I guess with the CAP setup, a chief pilot will have to put together a
performance sheet for use by the group. Of course the liability for the
figures would lie with .....

Old October 8th 05, 12:57 AM
Michelle P

For a 235 Hp Maule (M-7-235B 80 gallons on board) you can figure 12
Gal/Tach hour or 15 Gal/flight hour. This gives me 7 tach hours or 5
flight hours till dry tanks. I have run the aircraft for 6 hours strait
without stopping with a favorable tail wind. I lean to about 12.6 to
13.0 depending on the CHTs.
Michelle

Old October 8th 05, 01:34 AM
George Patterson

Robert M. Gary wrote:
After spending a frustrated hour out at the CAP plane trying to finish
my questionnaire I finally called the aircraft manager asking where the
performance section to the POH went. Amazingly the Maule has none,
nothing nada. Not even expected cruise speed or fuel burn info. This
isn't some J-3 classic aircraft, this plane is a youngster but the FAA
apparently didn't ask them for any performance information. I guess
that makes the written CAP exam easier.

You can find a limited amount of performance data at the Maule Air web site.
http://www.mauleairinc.com/Our_Planes

George Patterson
Drink is the curse of the land. It makes you quarrel with your neighbor.
It makes you shoot at your landlord. And it makes you miss him.
Old October 8th 05, 11:24 AM
Brad Salai

"Michelle P" wrote in message
ink.net...

.. I have run the aircraft for 6 hours strait
without stopping with a favorable tail wind.

I'm glad I didn't say that. And in THIS group, boy are you going to get it.
You better brace yourself!

Brad

Old October 8th 05, 03:38 PM
Mike Weller

On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 10:24:14 GMT, "Brad Salai"
wrote:

"Michelle P" wrote in message
link.net...

. I have run the aircraft for 6 hours strait
without stopping with a favorable tail wind.

I'm glad I didn't say that. And in THIS group, boy are you going to get it.
You better brace yourself!

Brad

I've lost the attributes, but I think Michelle is not a boy.

To answer the original question, a Maule flys like a Aeronica on
steriods. It has no real mean traits, it just is what it looks like.

Of course, if you run out of gas, that's not the airplane's fault.

Mike Weller

Old October 8th 05, 06:35 PM
Michelle P

Brad,
I have done it because it can. I plan for 15 Gal/hour and it flies about
12.5 gal/hour according to the Shadin Fuel Flow. I still had 10 gallons
left upon landing. about 45 minutes. I like to have an hour in the tank
when I land. I have pushed it to 45 minutes if necessary.
Michelle ( girl)

Brad Salai wrote:

link.net...