Flying Holiday in Europe

Old March 22nd 05, 05:54 PM
Udo Rumpf

Default Flying Holiday in Europe

I have this notion, to fly my glider on an extended flying holiday in
Europe.
I would like to find out if it is possible to fly a registered, licensed
home built
experimental glider in Europe. Who would I have to contact in Europe to
find out?
Regards
Udo

Old March 22nd 05, 06:24 PM
Stefan

Udo Rumpf wrote:

Who would I have to contact in Europe to find out?

The FOCA of the country in which you intend to fly. If nothing else, you
will be required to have a liability insurance for the glider.

Stefan
Old March 22nd 05, 07:26 PM
Charles Yeates

Udo

When we took our car and glider in trailer to Europe, all we had to do
was get European liability insurance coverage. This was handled by the
broker in port of arrival.

--
Charles Yeates

Swidnik PW-6U & PW-5
http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/yeatesc/world.html

Old March 22nd 05, 07:51 PM
Udo Rumpf

Charles,
did you take an experimental over there?
Udo

Old March 22nd 05, 08:07 PM
Udo Rumpf

I would want to fly in up to a dozen countries.
I would like a European central office that would handle or answer
the questions. "The glider would be experimental"

Udo

Old March 22nd 05, 09:04 PM
Michael Clarke

'Stefan' wrote in message
Udo Rumpf wrote:

Who would I have to contact in Europe to find out?

The FOCA of the country in which you intend to fly.
If nothing else, you
will be required to have a liability insurance for
the glider.

Stefan

Udo,

You will find that Europe consists of lots of little
countries that are different from each other with their
own languages and their own laws. Us glider pilots
tend to fight against having one ruling body for the
whole land mass, imposing a lowest common denominator
of the worst of all the rules on all of us.

I know that is a pain, but that is why we like it.

MC

Old March 22nd 05, 09:48 PM
Udo Rumpf

Udo,

You will find that Europe consists of lots of little
countries that are different from each other with their
own languages and their own laws. Us glider pilots
tend to fight against having one ruling body for the
whole land mass, imposing a lowest common denominator
of the worst of all the rules on all of us.

I know that is a pain, but that is why we like it.

MC

Mike,
do you know of a country in Europe that would allow an Experimental
home built glider to fly there. Can I assume if that were the case
I could then fly in other European countries.
Here in Canada we can take our experimental
glider to the USA. All it takes is an annual notification to the FAA,
that you are planning to fly in the USA.
Udo
Old March 22nd 05, 09:55 PM
André Somers

Udo Rumpf wrote:

I would want to fly in up to a dozen countries.
I would like a European central office that would handle or answer
the questions. "The glider would be experimental"

I'm sorry to disapoint you, but there is no such central body. Europe isn't
a single country (yet). I fear that it might be quite complicated due to
the experimental status of the machine.

To make a start at the organisations you'll need to get in touch with:

-Netherlands: Ministerie van Verkeer en Waterstaat, Inspectie Verkeer en
Waterstaat, Divisie luchtvaart (Civil Aviation Authorities)[*]
-Germany: Luftfahrt Bundesambt (LBA)
-Great Brittain: Brittish Gliding Association (BGA) I think...

Maybe others can append the relevant authorities for other countries?

André
[*] For advice, maybe you can contact the KNVvL (Royal Dutch Aeronautical
Association) in The Hague, section Gliding ). The Civil
Aviation Authorities can be reached via email on
Old March 22nd 05, 10:04 PM
Stefan

Udo Rumpf wrote:

I would want to fly in up to a dozen countries.
I would like a European central office that would handle or answer
the questions.

There is no such thing as an European central office for gliders. Glider
regulations are strictly national.

That said, if your glider has an N registration and you have an US
license, I strongly believe that you can fly wherever you want without
any additional paper work. But you *will* need a liability insurance.
(Order of magnitude of 2 million Euros or something like this.)

Your best bet is really to contact the FOCAs of every country you want
to fly in. They tend to be helpful.

Stefan
Old March 22nd 05, 10:26 PM
Stefan

André Somers wrote:

Maybe others can append the relevant authorities for other countries?

Germany: http://www.lba.de/
France: http://www.dgac.fr/
Switzerland: http://www.aviation.admin.ch/
Spain: http://ais.aena.es/
Poland: http://www.ais.pata.pl/
Austria: http://www.bmvit.gv.at/

You'll find phone numbers and e-mail addresses there, if you search for
them.

Stefan