About digital meters

Old April 16th 06, 01:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default About digital meters

I ask a fool question:
Being an Ultralight pilot, do you prefer mechanical flight instruments
or digital meters?

One of my Chinese customers told me they prefer mechanical aircraft
instruments. Since they are more reliable than digital meters. They
are easy to read, liking a car derving meters.
But I have a little bit doubt. I knew digital meters are developing
direction. But I did not know where parts were popular used now in
digital meters,such as VAI, ALT, ASI, ADI or engine meters, in American
ultralight airplanes.

Luo

Old April 16th 06, 04:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

wrote in message
oups.com...
I ask a fool question:
Being an Ultralight pilot, do you prefer mechanical flight instruments
or digital meters?

I find 'analog' indicators quite easy to digest within my gaze.
Flight Training teaches us to properly 'scan' the instruments. Analog
indicators are easy to tell (at a glance) if the reading is within the
'safe' or 'normal' range.

Old April 16th 06, 01:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

I agree with you. From habit, people prefer anlog indicator ,"pointer
indicator".
But mechanical meter is heavy, bigger, with few function.
The digital meter is samll, light and more function. For example, I had
see TL-ELECKNIC's products. They put Volt and Amp in one meter. It has
"warn and alert" two valves when your plane reach its setup. It can be
downloaded your fly data from PC......

Luo

Old April 16th 06, 05:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 02:46:55 GMT, cavelamb
wrote:

Still looking for a good mechanical volt meter for my plane.

Had to make do with an electric one, but still looking...

Describe your needs; they are easily available, but prices are not low
anymore with mechnical things costing more than electronic.

Stacked LEDs with whatever resolution wanted is a compromise I've seen
implemented in lots of INDUSTRIAL displays. I even saw one with an
arc of pixels which seemed even better than a meter; the digital value
was within the arc.

I've done meters that read from 21 to 26 volts to put on control
panels for equipment using a "nominal" 24V.

Have a good day,

George
Old April 16th 06, 09:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

cavelamb wrote:
snip
Still looking for a good mechanical volt meter for my plane.

Had to make do with an electric one, but still looking...

Hygrometer in battery, hooked up to a dial?
Old April 16th 06, 11:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Ian Stirling wrote:

cavelamb wrote:
snip

Still looking for a good mechanical volt meter for my plane.

Had to make do with an electric one, but still looking...

Hygrometer in battery, hooked up to a dial?

Say the magic woid and win a duck!

I guess it didn't do well in chineese...

Richard
Old April 17th 06, 04:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

A piece of yarn on the canopy is a slip indicator.

A hinged flap on the strut makes a good airspeed indicator.

A paper bag is a good G indicator.

A cork and bent wire make a good fuel level indicator.

Looking out the window tells you when flaps are up or down.

We don't need no stinking digital gauges.