Separating the men from the boys

Old November 2nd 03, 03:57 PM
Pechs1

Dave- Nothing at all. On 2 July 1971, I was standing on the roof of the tower

at NAS Broomstick and watched the #7 Blue Angels F-4 make a pass around
the tower, right to left, @ 80 deg bank, over the grass and I was looking
down on the right wingtip. BRBR

The 'Blues' have waivers of every shape and kind...
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old November 2nd 03, 03:59 PM
Pechs1

Red- Nothing! 20, 200, 2,000, 20,000 feet. Its all the same as long as you
don't
bump into anything. BRBR

I guess ya all miss my point. I flew less than 500 ft AGL many times but on
debrief I was always no lower than the OPNAV min, and my Mode 'C' was off....
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old November 3rd 03, 02:08 AM
Mike Kanze

Woody,

Back in the day when I flew VA (the REAL Medium Attack kind--not that

Corsair stuff), our SOP called for a 200 FT AGL minalt that we flew at very
regularly--500 FT AGL night/IMC.

My recollection as well, from the early 1970s.

Not sure, but I THINK that on the OB-16 route (Eastern Oregon canyons) A-6s
were authorized lower than 500 AGL at night if the system was tight and the
crew felt OK about things.

Owl sends.
--
Mike Kanze

436 Greenbrier Road
Half Moon Bay, California 94019-2259
USA

650-726-7890

"When was the last time in world history in which 'suicide' and 'martyrdom'
were the code of enlightened action admired by any society?"

- Roy Fassel (WALL STREET JOURNAL, 10/27/03)

"Doug "Woody" and Erin Beal" wrote in message
On 11/2/03 9:56 AM, in article

,
"Pechs1" wrote:
[rest snipped]

Old November 3rd 03, 04:16 AM
Elmshoot

Mike/Woody,
In the 80's and early 90's
Day VFR 200' if the route allowed. Night TC we used 1000' I did go down to 500'
in certain approved areas. ie; Bordman.
For weapons delivery what ever was allowed in the tac manual.
I used 100' /300kias for a laydown on the nuke delivery at Fallon was it B-16?
Not very tactical but I always got a bull.
We were doing a night anti boghammer exercise in the IO and I ws using 100'
500kias for the profile. the plane would do 520
Sparky

Old November 3rd 03, 05:18 AM
JamesF1110

If it were anybody else, CAG wouldhave pitched him off the fantail
afterwards, but because it was Hunyack,nothing of consequence (that a lowly
LTJG would know about) ever happened

Why the special dispensation?
Old November 3rd 03, 11:40 AM
Doug \Woody\ and Erin Beal

On 11/2/03 10:16 PM, in article
, "Elmshoot"
wrote:

Mike/Woody,
In the 80's and early 90's
Day VFR 200' if the route allowed. Night TC we used 1000' I did go down to
500'
in certain approved areas. ie; Bordman.
For weapons delivery what ever was allowed in the tac manual.
I used 100' /300kias for a laydown on the nuke delivery at Fallon was it B-16?
Not very tactical but I always got a bull.
We were doing a night anti boghammer exercise in the IO and I ws using 100'
500kias for the profile. the plane would do 520
Sparky

Not sure, but I THINK that on the OB-16 route (Eastern Oregon canyons) A-6s
were authorized lower than 500 AGL at night if the system was tight and the
crew felt OK about things.

Owl sends.

Owl,

What I actually *did* as a young idiot and what was 3710/SOP are two
different stories, of course. I think Pechs' original question was a 3710
issue... But I like the digression!

For me (late '80's early '90's), we flew 1000' AGL (3rd range bin?) on our
first trips back into the night/IMC low level world to refresh our TC quals,
but SOP was 500 feet (2nd range bin was close enough), and usually (even on
the 342/344/346) we'd fly that (mostly on ridge crossings, of course). When
NVG's came along, we'd no-kidding fly 500' AGL... And back it up with the
system.

Personal records. 100'AGL over water at night at mil power--same as you.
(Why? Because I was dumb. It's not like anyone can see you or you get
extra points for going that low and fast.) 140' AGL, 534 knots (off the
freeze data) at Boardman on a night straight path delivery (60' hit). 500'
AGL up the John Day River Valley at night in the goo. B/N's radar was
practically a pin point. Both of us agreed not to do that any more. I
routinely saw straight and level 530 knots (or so) down low on the gauge.

OBTW... 1.15M on the meter coming back from an FCF A. I don't think we were
actually supersonic though.

As an aside, the VFA guys used to (don't know if they still do it) used to
keep low altitude NVG quals. The guy with the biggest cahones is the one
with the low altitude NVG-I. YIKES. You couldn't pay me to do that without
a TC system. The one in the Hornet doesn't count.

--Woody

Old November 3rd 03, 02:24 PM
Pechs1

Doug- What I actually *did* as a young idiot and what was 3710/SOP are two
different stories, of course. I think Pechs' original question was a 3710
issue BRBR

As I get older, my memory goes the way of late nights and pitching decks...less
fun. But I was never in a squadron where the min wasn't 500 ft AGL...all
Fighter squadrons.
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)