Mojave Civilian Flight test center accident...Rutan SpaceShip II propellant test explosion.

Old July 27th 07, 01:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blueskies

Default Mojave Civilian Flight test center accident...Rutan SpaceShip II propellant test explosion.

http://video.ap.org/v/Legacy.aspx?g=...&partner=en-ap

Old July 27th 07, 01:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Blueskies" wrote

http://video.ap.org/v/Legacy.aspx?g=...&partner=en-ap

Word is out now, with the names of the fatally injured.

Condolences for those involved, and prayers go out for the injured.

A sad day, indeed.

http://www.bakersfield.com/102/story/198908.html
--
Jim in NC

Old July 27th 07, 07:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

My prayers go out to their frineds and family.

They aren't the first to die expanding our frontiers, nor will they be the
last. They, those who went before and those that will follow have my thanks.

Old July 27th 07, 11:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 13:45:38 -0500, "Gig 601XL Builder"
wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net wrote in
:

They aren't the first to die expanding our frontiers, nor will they be the
last. They, those who went before and those that will follow have my thanks.

The world's first true aviator, Otto Lilienthal, said it best: "Opfer
mussen gebracht werden."

http://firstflight.open.ac.uk/liliie...ilienthal.html

http://www.unctv.org/firstflight/OttoLilienthal.html
Lilienthal's untimely death had a profound effect on the history
of flight. While flying one of his older gliders in 1896, he was
struck by a gust of wind. The nose of the machine was forced up,
and he was not able to control the resulting stall. He fell 15
meters, breaking his spine. He died with the words, “Opfer mussen
gebracht werden” (Sacrifices must be made).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otto_Lilienthal
On 9 August 1896, however, he fell from a height of 17 m (56 ft),
breaking his spine. He died the next day, saying, "Kleine Opfer
müssen gebracht werden!" ("Small sacrifices must be made!") and
was buried in a distinct grave at Lankwitz public cemetery in
Berlin.