Winterizing The Hangar

Old November 16th 06, 06:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
RST Engineering

Default Winterizing The Hangar

There is a mail order "surplus" house somewhere around Chicago that had
cargo 'chutes by the millions a few years ago. They used to have a cheap
wood pulp catalog made famous by a male deer cut in half on the front page
saying "cover price, half a buck". ANybody remember what this outfit's name
is/was?

Jim

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com...

Good idea! Any idea where I can get old parachutes anymore?

Old November 16th 06, 12:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

Cost? ....for the larger version of "Great Stuff"?

Yeah -- given that a little can of that stuff is, like, four bucks, I
can't imagine what the big stuff must cost!

My thought was "insulation netting" with wire run up and twist-tied to
anything available, then blow in some ...(wait for it) ...old newspapers
into the new attic space you've created.

Hmmm. Remember, we've got lights up there, and electricity...

Montblack-in-the-saddle-again

Glad you're back! How's the Newps 'puter working with a separate
monitor?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 16th 06, 01:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jim Burns[_1_]

I just looked up an invoice for a building we did last summer. It was about
$0.25 per square foot for 3" on 200,000 sq ft.
Jim

Old November 17th 06, 12:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

I just looked up an invoice for a building we did last summer. It was about
$0.25 per square foot for 3" on 200,000 sq ft.

That's almost as bad as I thought it would be. Dang, that stuff is
expensive!

Of course, it's the most God-awful stuff to work with in the whole
world. Get it on your skin, and it's THERE, for weeks. Get it on your
clothes, and throw 'em away. I can't imagine working with it in an
industrial, large-scale setting.

I'll bet a lot of that expense is the labor.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 16th 06, 09:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
john smith

Montblack-in-the-saddle-again

HEY!!! Paul's back!
So many stories, so much time.
I am certain he will catch us up this winter.
Old November 18th 06, 07:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jack Allison[_1_]

john smith wrote:

HEY!!! Paul's back!
So many stories, so much time.
I am certain he will catch us up this winter.

Paul was gone? Oh, wait, I've been somewhat less than regular
reading/posting the past few weeks. :-)

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL-Instrument Airplane

"To become a Jedi knight, you must master a single force. To become
a private pilot you must strive to master four of them"
- Rod Machado

Old November 18th 06, 08:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Montblack

("Jack Allison" wrote)
Paul was gone? Oh, wait, I've been somewhat less than regular
reading/posting the past few weeks. :-)

A. Try some dietary fiber along with plenty of water. g
B. Hey, these laptops really do go anywhere. Cool - I mean, ...that's
disgusting!

Montblack
Intel(R) Pentium(R) M Processor 1.60GHz
ACPI\GENUINEINTEL_-_X86_FAMILY_6_MODEL_13\_0

Old November 16th 06, 04:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dave[_5_]

I know an old guy who uses "solar" heating. He has a South-facing
hangar, and has painted the doors black. So the sun warms the hangar
when it's cold out. When it isn't cold, he opens the doors - how much
depends on the temperature. He also has a false cieling of
plastic sheeting to keep the heat from rising to the top. Of course he
is retired, and spends nearly every day there - so he is the "manual"
thermostat.

As for critters, he keeps a 22 rifle with birdshot shells handy - and
doesn't hesitate to use it.

Old November 16th 06, 12:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Viperdoc[_3_]

You can also rolled insulation in the ceiling. I also strongly recommend
ceiling fans- a few cheap ones from Home Depot will do wonders to help
circulate the air. Do you have gas available for heat in your hangar? A
Modine heater is relatively inexpensive, and in my previous hangar I had an
office buildout with baseboard electric heat. It makes tinkering on the
plane in the winter a lot more pleasant. I generally kept it at 40-45
degrees, but when needing to work on the plane jacked it up to 60. I found
that I flew a lot more in the winter when the hangar was more comfortable.

Now, all I need to do is figure out is how to get an electrically heated
ramp, and put a hot tub in the hangar.

Old November 16th 06, 01:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

You can also rolled insulation in the ceiling.

Getting it to stay up is the problem. It's just a bare, tin ceiling --
no "joists" to attach the stuff to.

I also strongly recommend
ceiling fans- a few cheap ones from Home Depot will do wonders

Yeah, once the ceiling is insulated, that will be good. I also want to
add better lighting. Right now I've got three 500 watt spot/area
lights, which are better than the single 60 watt bulb the hangar came
with -- but not much!

Now, all I need to do is figure out is how to get an electrically heated
ramp, and put a hot tub in the hangar.

I've got only electric, no gas, so we're stuck with portable heat
options. And I don't think the hot tub would work well with a torpedo
heater! (It would sure be cool in your hangar, though...)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA