What is this instrument?

Old November 25th 03, 06:41 PM
Nathan Young

Default What is this instrument?

Looking through ads on aso.com, I ran into this picture.
http://www.aso.com/aircraft/77810/panel-1.jpg

What is the instrument in the lower left of the panel underneath the
clock?

It looks a bit like a VSI, but the 0 point is at 12 o'clock instead of
9 o'clock, and it appears to have 3 indicator arms. Also, the scale
isn't symmetric, it runs from -5 to +12.

If it helps - the plane is a Cherokee 180.

Thanks,
Nathan
Old November 25th 03, 06:47 PM
Ron Natalie

"Nathan Young" wrote in message om...
Looking through ads on aso.com, I ran into this picture.
http://www.aso.com/aircraft/77810/panel-1.jpg

What is the instrument in the lower left of the panel underneath the
clock?

It looks a bit like a VSI, but the 0 point is at 12 o'clock instead of
9 o'clock, and it appears to have 3 indicator arms. Also, the scale
isn't symmetric, it runs from -5 to +12.

If it helps - the plane is a Cherokee 180.

I think it's a G meter, but why you'd put one in a Cherokee is beyond me.
The arms indicate the limit positive and negative since it was last reset.

Old November 25th 03, 06:47 PM
Don Tuite

On 25 Nov 2003 09:41:17 -0800, (Nathan
Young) wrote:

Looking through ads on aso.com, I ran into this picture.
http://www.aso.com/aircraft/77810/panel-1.jpg

What is the instrument in the lower left of the panel underneath the
clock?

It looks a bit like a VSI, but the 0 point is at 12 o'clock instead of
9 o'clock, and it appears to have 3 indicator arms. Also, the scale
isn't symmetric, it runs from -5 to +12.

If it helps - the plane is a Cherokee 180.

Without looking at the picture, I'd say it's a G-meter. One hand
measures instantaneous G load; the others stick at max plus and minus
until reset.

In a PA28, though? The owner must have wanted to plug a blank hole in
the panel.

Don
Old November 25th 03, 07:36 PM
OSKI 3

It's am accelerometer (G Meter}.

Bill OParowski
N101SX
Old November 25th 03, 08:43 PM
Roy Smith

In article ,
(Nathan Young) wrote:

Looking through ads on aso.com, I ran into this picture.
http://www.aso.com/aircraft/77810/panel-1.jpg

What is the instrument in the lower left of the panel underneath the
clock?

It looks a bit like a VSI, but the 0 point is at 12 o'clock instead of
9 o'clock, and it appears to have 3 indicator arms. Also, the scale
isn't symmetric, it runs from -5 to +12.

If it helps - the plane is a Cherokee 180.

Thanks,
Nathan

G-meter? The three arms would be max positive, max negative, and current
reading. The -5 to +12 range sounds a bit excessive, though, especially
for a Cherokee :-)
Old November 25th 03, 08:48 PM
A Lieberman

Nathan Young wrote:

Looking through ads on aso.com, I ran into this picture.
http://www.aso.com/aircraft/77810/panel-1.jpg

What is the instrument in the lower left of the panel underneath the
clock?

Nathan,

It is a G meter. The numbers to the left side of the zero is negative
G's and the numbers to the right are positive G's.

I use mine to rate my landings :-))

Allen
Old November 26th 03, 01:25 AM
BTIZ

It's a G Meter.. rather extreme for a Cherokee..

the pilot must of gotten tired of being bounced around in mountain
wave/rotor turbulence.. and he wanted to see what kind of punishment his
little bird could handle..

BT

Old November 26th 03, 01:27 AM
BTIZ

G meter.. steady state level flight.. or sitting still on the ground it will
measure 1G like it is right now.. looks like he's been "light", but not to
"zero G" and he's been heavy to 2G (60degreebanked turn?)

Maybe he uses it to record his students punishment of the runway on hard
landings..

BT

Old November 26th 03, 04:31 AM

In article ,
A Lieberman wrote:

I use mine to rate my landings :-))

LOL

--
-ed falk,

Shooting first is un-American.
Old November 26th 03, 06:48 AM
Nathan Young

(Nathan Young) wrote in message . com...
Looking through ads on aso.com, I ran into this picture.
http://www.aso.com/aircraft/77810/panel-1.jpg

What is the instrument in the lower left of the panel underneath the
clock?

It looks a bit like a VSI, but the 0 point is at 12 o'clock instead of
9 o'clock, and it appears to have 3 indicator arms. Also, the scale
isn't symmetric, it runs from -5 to +12.

If it helps - the plane is a Cherokee 180.

Thanks everyone. Learn something every day

-nathan