Another Cirrus 'chute deployment

Old September 21st 04, 11:43 PM
Dan Luke

Default Another Cirrus 'chute deployment

http://www.duluthsuperior.com/mld/du...or/9723097.htm

Old September 21st 04, 11:59 PM
Stefan

"Pilot William Graham, 65, told authorities that his airplane, a Cirrus
SR22, stalled at 16,000 feet, ..."

I'd rather say that it was the pilot who stalled the plane.

"... then encountered turbulent weather at 13,000 to 15,000 feet that
sent it into a spin, according to the Stockton Record newspaper. Graham
deployed an emergency parachute ..."

A spin at 15'000 ft is a non-event and can easily be recovered without a
chute.

So my bottom line is: The pilot should contact a good flight instructor.
(This doesn't change the fact that the chute saved two lives.)

Stefan

Old September 22nd 04, 12:09 AM
Michael 182

Glad the chute worked, but what would cause an airplane to stall at 16,000
feet, then encounter turbulence that would send it into a spin at 15,000
feet? At that height it would seem a stall should be pretty simple to
recover from, although, once again, I can't imagine what would make the
plane stall in the first place during cruise.

Michael

Old September 22nd 04, 12:23 AM
Dan Luke

"Michael 182" wrote:
Glad the chute worked, but what would cause an airplane to stall at
16,000 feet, then encounter turbulence that would send it into a spin
at 15,000 feet? At that height it would seem a stall should be pretty
simple to recover from, although, once again, I can't imagine what
would make the plane stall in the first place during cruise.

Well, remember that this report comes from a typically aviation-ignorant
reporter. The NTSB report may be more revealing.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old September 22nd 04, 12:32 AM
Peter R.

Michael 182 wrote:

Glad the chute worked, but what would cause an airplane to stall at 16,000
feet, then encounter turbulence that would send it into a spin at 15,000
feet?

My take on the article, based on past news media aviation ignorance, is
that the engine most likely quit at 16,000.

Remember: One must think like the new media to interpret the new
media.

--
Peter

Old September 22nd 04, 12:48 AM
Stefan

Peter R. wrote:

Glad the chute worked, but what would cause an airplane to stall at 16,000
feet, then encounter turbulence that would send it into a spin at 15,000
feet?

My take on the article, based on past news media aviation ignorance, is
that the engine most likely quit at 16,000.

Ah! And the engine out caused the plane to fall out of the sky...

Stefan

Old September 22nd 04, 01:03 AM
Michael 182

"Peter R." wrote in message
Michael 182 wrote:

Glad the chute worked, but what would cause an airplane to stall at
16,000
feet, then encounter turbulence that would send it into a spin at 15,000
feet?

My take on the article, based on past news media aviation ignorance, is
that the engine most likely quit at 16,000.

I know we are all engaged in guesswork at this point, but if an engine fails
at 16,000 feet I would expect that there is a nice long glide availble
(regardless of turbulence) that would likely yield a pretty good landing
spot. I know, I wasn't there - I'm not judging, just wondering...

Michael

Old September 22nd 04, 02:06 AM
Peter R.

Michael 182 wrote:

"Peter R." wrote in message
Michael 182 wrote:

Glad the chute worked, but what would cause an airplane to stall at
16,000
feet, then encounter turbulence that would send it into a spin at 15,000
feet?

My take on the article, based on past news media aviation ignorance, is
that the engine most likely quit at 16,000.

I know we are all engaged in guesswork at this point, but if an engine fails
at 16,000 feet I would expect that there is a nice long glide availble
(regardless of turbulence) that would likely yield a pretty good landing
spot. I know, I wasn't there - I'm not judging, just wondering...

I totally agree with you. BTW, I am not speculating, just interpreting
the article.

--
Peter

Old September 22nd 04, 03:06 AM
David Rind

Stefan wrote:
"Pilot William Graham, 65, told authorities that his airplane, a Cirrus
SR22, stalled at 16,000 feet, ..."

I'd rather say that it was the pilot who stalled the plane.

"... then encountered turbulent weather at 13,000 to 15,000 feet that
sent it into a spin, according to the Stockton Record newspaper. Graham
deployed an emergency parachute ..."

A spin at 15'000 ft is a non-event and can easily be recovered without a
chute.

So my bottom line is: The pilot should contact a good flight instructor.
(This doesn't change the fact that the chute saved two lives.)

Stefan

Have you recovered an SR22 from a spin? If not, are you certain it's a
non-event? My understanding is that the POH technique for handling a
spin in an SR22 is to deploy the chute, and that Cirrus has spent a fair
amount of effort reminding pilots of that fact.

--
David Rind

Old September 22nd 04, 03:06 AM
Cockpit Colin

Anyone know what the service ceiling of the aircraft is?