Student night solo?

Old October 12th 04, 01:43 PM
Peter MacPherson

Default Student night solo?

I'm a CFI and was curious how many CFI's sign their students off for
flying solo at night. I personally don't feel comfortable doing it.

Thanks,
Pete

Old October 12th 04, 02:16 PM
G. Burkhart

"Peter MacPherson" wrote in message
I'm a CFI and was curious how many CFI's sign their students off for
flying solo at night. I personally don't feel comfortable doing it.

During my training, all student night flights were dual. The aircraft owners
in that area had that stipulated in the renter's agreement. Other things in
the rental restrictions were no grass strips and no spins.

Old October 12th 04, 02:56 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Peter MacPherson wrote:

I'm a CFI and was curious how many CFI's sign their students off for
flying solo at night. I personally don't feel comfortable doing it.

My CFI did not do so when I was training. My first solo night flight took place after
I got my PPC.

George Patterson
If a man gets into a fight 3,000 miles away from home, he *had* to have
been looking for it.

Old October 12th 04, 03:19 PM
Dave S

My comment would be... how much instruction and experience did the
student get in night operations? Just the bare minimum? How well does
the student perform with minimal direct supervision?

My brother in law actually had some student night solo time, but that
was a byproduct of his training.. he worked long days, and so much of
his training was evening and dusk. Over 1/3rd of his hours were at night
by the time he took his checkride. His DE initially thought there was an
error on his form 8710.

My answer as a non-CFI is.. I would expect the number of CFI's who
actually endorse a student for night solo to be VERY low.. simply as a
result of the environment in which we instruct and train.

Dave

Old October 12th 04, 06:11 PM
Roger Halstead

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 13:16:35 GMT, "G. Burkhart"
wrote:

"Peter MacPherson" wrote in message
I'm a CFI and was curious how many CFI's sign their students off for
flying solo at night. I personally don't feel comfortable doing it.

During my training, all student night flights were dual. The aircraft owners
in that area had that stipulated in the renter's agreement. Other things in
the rental restrictions were no grass strips and no spins.

I think I had around 4 hours night, but it was all dual including one
cross country.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Old October 12th 04, 09:10 PM
Jack Allison

My FBO didn't allow solo night flight so I wasn't signed off for it.
IMHO, a good thing.

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL, IA Student

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Night solo XC? G. Burkhart Piloting 51 October 14th 04 03:11 PM
Another Frustrated Student Pilot OutofRudder Piloting 13 January 24th 04 02:20 AM
Retroactive correction of logbook errors Marty Ross Piloting 10 July 31st 03 06:44 AM