IFR Checkride Scheduled

Old April 2nd 04, 06:55 PM
Cecil E. Chapman

I don't know that I can completely agree with you, I've heard the issue
about hold practice, from grey haired CFI's and regular G.A. pilots,,,, they
all seem to say the same thing about holds.

I know what you are saying, but realistically, how many times have have you
been asked to hold at a towered airport because traffic load was so
prohibitive. I've only been flying since 2000, but in my personal flying
I've only ever been asked to hold because of traffic, once!,,, EVER...

Yep,,, missed approach holds,,, okay maybe there... but I don't think most
of us are going to be flying anywhere near to minimums and will be able to
make the runway just fine on the first try, since most of us are REALLY
REALLY good :-. Okay,,, kind of kidding,,,, I know that we are supposed
to handle missed approaches as if they are the norm and a landing on the
first try as unexpected.... yada yada yada....

=-----
Good Flights!

Cecil
PP-ASEL
Student-IASEL

Check out my personal flying adventures from my first flight to the
checkride AND the continuing adventures beyond!
Complete with pictures and text at: www.bayareapilot.com

- Antoine de Saint-Exupery -

"We who fly, do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with
this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet"
- Cecil Day Lewis -

experience.

Hilton

Old April 2nd 04, 07:20 PM
David Brooks

"Cecil E. Chapman" wrote in message
. com...
[...]

I have had scandalously few hours in the system since I passed my checkride,
and I've had to hold on approach twice. Once approaching Arlington when the
controller was trying to ensure that the predecessor, who had actually -
gasp - landed, had closed. And once at Paine when the controller had, at a
guess, been a little optimistic about sequencing.

Surely the first problem illustrates that it's going to be more likely to
happen at an untowered field because by then you're on advisories and off
radar? It doesn't have to be a busy hub. Remember to check if there's a
specific frequency for closing the plan at an untowered field (e.g. one
local airport with ILS and scheduled airline traffic uses the CD frequency,
but that's not clearly stated on the plate).

-- David Brooks

Old April 2nd 04, 11:24 PM
Jon Kraus

My soon to be DE who flys for ATA told me he has only been told to hold
4 times in his entire career... Maybe the big boys don't get holds as
much as us little guys... JK

Old April 3rd 04, 01:58 AM
Jon Kraus

Be the plane.... be the plane... be the plane... OK got it...
Thanks.... JK

Jack Allison wrote:

Good luck John. Be the plane man, be the plane...

Old April 5th 04, 06:26 AM
Richard Thomas

Hi Allen,

When I took my multi-engine check ride my boss was getting his DE

authority
also. The FAA Inspector from Albuquerque, NM was also training two new
inspectors. There were five of us in a Piper Navajo on a July day in NM.
Talk about "sweating" it out.

P.S. We all passed!

Wow that must have given the examiner(s) an opportunity to really test the
single engine climb performance! They probably all had white knuckles by
the time you landed...

I'm now hoping I don't get an extra person on board the Seminole when it
comes to taking the Multi addon, the performance is marginal at best!

Best wishes,

Richard Thomas
CP-ASEL IA
Student AMEL

Old April 6th 04, 05:30 AM
Hilton

Cecil,

Cecil wrote:
I don't know that I can completely agree with you, I've heard the issue
about hold practice, from grey haired CFI's and regular G.A. pilots,,,,

they
all seem to say the same thing about holds.

Well, it's definitely a YMMV thing. Also, it depends when and where you
fly.

I know what you are saying, but realistically, how many times have have

you
been asked to hold at a towered airport because traffic load was so
prohibitive.

Firstly, that's just one of many scenarios for being asked/told to hold. To
answer your question, I don't know. Definitely more than zero, but not that
often. I've been asked to hold flying into Arcata, was given a hold out
near Modesto, have held at Tracy for the LVK ILS 25R as well as at MARNA
down near MRY. More often though I get a 'visual hold' or a 'vector hold'.
There are some approaches that start with a turn in the hold - check out
Napa - given direct SGD at 4000' cleared for the approach - you basically
fly the hold.

Hilton