All Soaring Club Members

Old August 8th 04, 03:45 PM
Slick

Default All Soaring Club Members

Don't be an asshat. You can sit there and argue about how things shouldn't
be generalized and get this thread off topic, or you can take this little
reminder and stick it in the back of your head the next time you go out.

I hate to tell you, but not all people can afford the luxury of a parachute.
This incident was a case where I was thermaling and was unable to see the
approaching glider. By the time he saw me I had 1 second to do something
since he didn't deviate from his course.
"F.L. Whiteley" wrote in message
1. How do you know clubs have less activity than commercial operations?
Several clubs are very large and active with 100-200 members. There are a
few commercial hot spots also, but you can't generalize on this.

Commercial
operations are generally a US activity. Club predominate in the US in
numbers, and around the world overall. It can happen anywhere. In a

club,
pilots are generally aware of other members who lack or possess skill,
courtesy, or airmanship. In a commercial environment, you may be more
likely to encounter those who pay their money and take their chances.

2. Wear a parachute. It's often the only second chance in the event of a
mid-air.

3. A couple of days ago, I asked the tow pilot if he had another glider

in
sight as we were towing directly into 'his' thermal. The tow pilot
acknowledged, then commenced a diving right turn.

4. Don't know why you'd have half gone inverted. I generally avoid
inverted manuevars in gliders except at the top of a loop. No radio?

Frank Whiteley

"Slick" wrote in message
I know it's not a club issue, but clubs usually have less activity then
commercial operations. I just want to put this back on the table, that

was
way too close. If I had half gone inverted and dived, we would have
collided, and I doubt I would have lived.
"BTIZ" wrote in message
its not a "Club" issue.. it can happen anywhere..

BT

"Slick" wrote in message
Make sure you are aware of everything that is around you when you

release.
had an extremely close call today from a tow pilot and glider on tow

that
neither saw me. When the glider in tow released, it turned into a

head
on
path with me thermaling at the same altitude and came within 20ft.

This especially goes out to all those local soaring clubs that don't

have
whole lot of activity and don't get in close quarters with one

another.
If
you have to fly formation with someone to learn what it looks like

be
too
close, do it. I think it should be required before earning your PGL,

but
that is just my opinion. Until you fly next to someone, you really

don't
know how far out to look when clearing.

Old August 8th 04, 04:54 PM
BTIZ

Why would you go half inverted and dived? did you not clear the area before
doing acro?

You have not seen our club activity on busy days..

BT

"Slick" wrote in message
Make sure you are aware of everything that is around you when you

release.
had an extremely close call today from a tow pilot and glider on tow

that
neither saw me. When the glider in tow released, it turned into a head

on
path with me thermaling at the same altitude and came within 20ft.

This especially goes out to all those local soaring clubs that don't

have
whole lot of activity and don't get in close quarters with one

another.
If
you have to fly formation with someone to learn what it looks like to

Old August 10th 04, 09:03 AM
OscarCVox

When I first started gliding, I purposefully found a
club where (on weekdays) I was the only one in the sky.
This was great to have, lowering my stress level until
I could get my wits about me enough to track gliders and tuggies
well, and understand the "flow" and habits of other soaring
pilots.

Some things I'd like to know from others:

How many collisions occured within 4 NM of the launch field? %wise
How many collisions are in audio-vario ships vs. non-audio?
How many times did a pilot purposely get closer to an aircraft he spotted (to
catch the same thermal/ridge)?

One thing I LOVE about flying with two people, is that we use the
"I'm outside, your inside" callouts to signify that the other
guy is on controls and checking distances to landouts and
managing flaps, while my sole job is "outside" looking for traffic,
towplane takeoffs, etc.

This seems to work REALLY well. I must say that I only fly solo
on sparse days, away from the field except for T/O and landing,
and if I don't have an audio vario, I slink away from
gliders that join me in a thermal.

Although I commonly wear a parachute, and have sport parachute training,
I'm not certain I will survive a collision. I prefer
avoidance vs. back-up-plan.
--

------------+
Mark Boyd

I suggest that you go find other gliders to fly with!
Unless you are used to other traffic it can be disoriantating to find yourself
in a thermal with several other gliders. It is best to get used to it and
improve your lookout.
Last year I was flying cross country and found a nice strong thermal all on my
own. After about 3 turns I was bounced by the junior Nationals competition and
found myself in company with 30+ gliders in same thermal. I am used to busy
thermals but that was just too much so I scarpered off to find another one.
Then the blighters followed me!
I suggest that avoiding other traffic is false safety. It is better to be used
to the situation as you do not always know when it will be needed It certainly
sharpens up your lookout skills.

It is interesting to note that most mid airs in recent years have not been in
congested airspace. Almost all gliders in this country have audio varios which
are essential if you are to keep a good lookout whilst thermalling. Of the
three recent mid airs I can think of one was on fnal approach, one was local
soaring in poor visability and one was in a cross country thermal with only the
two gliders in the area.

The decision when and if to hit the silk is a very personal one. I have seen
pilots injured by bailing out when the glider was only slightly damaged.
Conversly I have seen pilots killed by trying to fly a badly damaged glider
back to the field.

Please everybody keep a good lookout and be safe. We have had far to many
accidents an injuries this year.
Fly with your head, observe, anticipate and plan your escape route if
everything turns to worms.
Nigel