How did you install your FLARM brick and/or ADS-B Out?

Old November 26th 19, 09:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default How did you install your FLARM brick and/or ADS-B Out?

On Wednesday, November 20, 2019 at 9:24:20 PM UTC-8, Darryl Ramm wrote:
On Wednesday, November 20, 2019 at 7:31:50 PM UTC-8, wrote:
On Sunday, November 17, 2019 at 10:17:18 AM UTC-8, wrote:
Is it powered direct or by another instrument?
Did you install a dedicated fuse?
Did you install a dedicated off/on switch or is it slaved?
Do you use a dedicated GPS antennae or split with another instrument.
Do you ever have the in-flight need to turn it off?
If you have both, why would you fly with one on and not the other?
If necessary, how is the Trig -2X and the TN-72 software updated?

Thanks for your reply.

I refuse to install flarm, because I consider that company to be actively obstructing the adoption of adsb in gliders, by diverting money better spent on adsb, and by not allowing flarm traffic displays to accept non-flarm-format inputs. My glider has a Trig 22 and TN72 and a scout adsb-in sending data to the foreflight on my kneepad iphone.

Yes the evil anti-ADS-B company that developed an ADS-B In product largely for the USA market? And worked to get that ADS-B In support shipped as standard in the USA? And that many hundreds of gliders pilots in the USA have adopted, increasingly alongside 1090ES Out in their gliders.

Please let us all know what exact display manufacturers is being prevented doing anything by FLARM. That's gotta violate a bunch of laws in the USA and Europe. One example will do. The whole global gliding community will owe you a deep favor for uncovering this horrible and illegal business practice.

And your traffic display used with ADS-B In works great in glider on glider situations? Like thermalling? Maybe you could post a video online of it working. Lots of people have hoped for an ADS-B solution that could do that and not been able to find it, but wow you have! That is fantastic! And all my use of Foreflight with ADS-B In I can't get close to working out how you would do this. Waiting to be wowed....

Darryl,
My comment was based on my frustration in that I can buy a Scout adsb-in receiver for $200, but have no sunlight-readable display to use with it. My iphone is not bright enough. The nice bright traffic displays only accept flarm-format data. Regarding your other point about adsb not being suitable for collision avoidance in a thermal: I agree, but neither is flarm. I do believe that the future (in the USA) lies with adsb, and on that basis I'd argue that money spent on flarm is money diverted from being better spent on adsb.
Old November 27th 19, 03:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Tuesday, November 26, 2019 at 4:23:43 PM UTC-5, wrote:

My comment was based on my frustration in that I can buy a Scout adsb-in receiver for $200, but have no sunlight-readable display to use with it. My iphone is not bright enough. The nice bright traffic displays only accept flarm-format data.

Some misunderstandings are expressed in your comment. See the Powerflarm web page:

Transponder and ADS-B Receiver

While many aircraft are already FLARM-equipped, there are still some that are not. With the optional transponder and ADS-B 1090ES receiver, available in select PowerFLARM devices, you are protected from those aircraft as well.. The additional receiver listens for intruders transmitting Mode-C, Mode-S, and ADS-B messages on 1090 MHz, and includes those aircraft in the smart trajectory prediction and collision warning algorithms.

https://flarm.com/products/powerflarm/

And recently mentioned in another RAS thread is ongoing work to bring TIS-B and ADS-R to Powerflarm and that will improve ADS-B capabilities.

Old November 27th 19, 05:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

I installed mine with pop rivets.
Jim
Old November 27th 19, 03:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike N.

I have a Power Flarm I just acquired when I recently purchased a glider.

How can I determine if I have the ADS-B 1090ES receiver? Or is this something I can add?

I looked on the Flarm web site mentioned above and it I could not find information that tells me if I have, or how to add the ADS-B 1090ES receiver.

Thanks
Old November 27th 19, 05:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]

On Wednesday, November 27, 2019 at 7:53:06 AM UTC-8, Mike N. wrote:
I have a Power Flarm I just acquired when I recently purchased a glider.

How can I determine if I have the ADS-B 1090ES receiver? Or is this something I can add?

I looked on the Flarm web site mentioned above and it I could not find information that tells me if I have, or how to add the ADS-B 1090ES receiver.

Thanks

Mike,

Email or call me with the serial number of the PowerFlarm and I will find out if it is ADS-B equipped. Most in the USA were ADS-B equipped.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old November 27th 19, 09:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike N.

Thanks will do.
Old November 28th 19, 03:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

wrote on 11/27/2019 6:08 PM:
On Wednesday, November 27, 2019 at 9:15:31 AM UTC-8, Dan Marotta wrote:
On 11/26/2019 2:23 PM,
wrote:
My comment was based on my frustration in that I can buy a Scout adsb-in receiver for $200, but have no sunlight-readable display to use with it. My iphone is not bright enough.

You could try a hood initially made of light cardboard to shade your
phone.* I use an iPad in my C-180 and it works just fine given the shade
from the high wing.* It's practically useless in direct sunlight.
--
Dan, 5J

Thanks Dan, but an phone is just not bright enough in my bright glider cockpit. The traffic displays sold for Flarm would do fine, but they only accept flarm data, which means I'd have to buy a flarm system. I suspect this to be a marketing decision to drive flarm sales. Because I think this, I will definitely not buy any flarm product.

I use an iPhone 6 Plus in my glider to run iGlide. Brightness is adequate to good,
ditto when using Foreflight or similar (I can switch between the applications
while flying). You can buy an iPhone newer iPhone 6, some of which are even
brighter, especially the newest ones.

Instead of being angry with Flarm for displays that work only with Flarm, be angry
at the Scout provider for making it Foreflight/OS only, and not compatible with
some other display.

Old November 29th 19, 02:50 AM
Delta8 Delta8 is offline
Member

Location: Pa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Greenwell[_4_] View Post
wrote:
[...]

I use an I phone 6s and 90% of the time the screen is bright enough I found tilting the mount a little helps . I use a Crew Dog electronics Statux with Fore flight . I get voice audio collision avoidance warnings along with terrain warnings while on the ridge and sometime will alert "Short Final" while in the pattern . I must admit the audio warnings can be confusing while thermaling as it gives an O'clock audio that may be a second or two delayed. It would be nice to have a screen.

I do have a question if it will pick up Power Flarm /Flarm equipped aircraft? I do want to add a Flarm system in the future . Does Power Flarm/Flarm need to be integrated with the Stratux system ? Would I get collision warnings from my own Flarm system?