Building a Gyrobee

Old December 27th 06, 09:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
TM

Default Building a Gyrobee

Greetings, all.

I am new to this group, but I have been studying Gyros for a few years.
I've decided on building a Gyrobee. I'd love to build one from
scratch, doing my own cutting and drilling, not for the cost savings
but just because I'm an engineer at heart and love to build things.
The only problem is that I have no experience doing the *precision*
cutting and drilling required by this project. I'm willing to get the
tools and practice, but since my safety is at stake, I'm hesitant,
thinking I should buy ready-to-assemble kit.

So what say you? Can a good weekend mechanic build a gyro from
scratch?

Thanks,
TM

Old December 27th 06, 04:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Stuart & Kathryn Fields

TM: As an engineer (electronic and not mechanical) I built and taught
myself to fly a Benson back in the days when dual instruction was just not
available. You shouldn't have any problem if you take care and think the
processes through before you cut or drill. Remember to think about it two
or three different times, measure it at least twice and think about what you
did and then cut or drill. Always be willing to trash a piece that you made
a mistake on and do it again. I have now built a Safari Helicopter from a
kit, did my own aluminum welding and a bunch of modifications of my own
design. The above process has worked pretty much.

--
Stuart Fields
Experimental Helo magazine

www.vkss.com
www.experimentalhelo.com

ups.com...

Old December 28th 06, 08:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
TM

Stuart & Kathryn Fields wrote:
TM: As an engineer (electronic and not mechanical) I built and taught
myself to fly a Benson back in the days when dual instruction was just not
available. You shouldn't have any problem if you take care and think the
processes through before you cut or drill. Remember to think about it two
or three different times, measure it at least twice and think about what you
did and then cut or drill. Always be willing to trash a piece that you made
a mistake on and do it again. I have now built a Safari Helicopter from a
kit, did my own aluminum welding and a bunch of modifications of my own
design. The above process has worked pretty much.

--
Stuart Fields

Thanks very much. That's encouraging.
-Tim

Old December 28th 06, 09:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Shiver

TM wrote:

Thanks very much. That's encouraging.
-Tim

If you decide to go ahead with the project stay in touch with the group
and post progress reports... and of course set up a website and post
pictures.

There is a pretty good group of dedicated lurkers and contributors here.

It might not the widest read group in the aviation world but everybody
seems to have a good time.
Old December 29th 06, 04:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
TM

Shiver wrote:

If you decide to go ahead with the project stay in touch with the group
and post progress reports... and of course set up a website and post
pictures.

There is a pretty good group of dedicated lurkers and contributors here.

It might not the widest read group in the aviation world but everybody
seems to have a good time.

Will do, although it won't be anytime soon. We've just moved to Nor
Cal and it'll be a while before I can take on the project. But there's
this little airport, Murray Field, right near by and every time I drive
past it....

-Tim

Old December 31st 06, 02:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
TM

Default What is LEAF?

A newbie question, no doubt, but I need to know.

This is a quote from a GyroBee builder's site:
«There is some variation in the labeling of standard 3/16 aircraft
washers. Primarily, I have labeled them an AN960-316 but you will also
find them labeled AN960-10 (in the LEAF catalog, for example).»

So, who or what is LEAF and how can I get a copy of the catalog?

Thanks,

Tim
Eureka, CA

Old December 31st 06, 05:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
boB[_4_]

"TM" wrote in message
oups.com...
A newbie question, no doubt, but I need to know.

This is a quote from a GyroBee builder's site:
«There is some variation in the labeling of standard 3/16 aircraft
washers. Primarily, I have labeled them an AN960-316 but you will also
find them labeled AN960-10 (in the LEAF catalog, for example).»

So, who or what is LEAF and how can I get a copy of the catalog?

Thanks,

Tim
Eureka, CA
Here ya go-----

LEAF

http://www.leadingedge-airfoils.com/catalog.htm

boB

Old January 8th 07, 01:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Stuart & Kathryn Fields

Tim: I flew my gyro at the McKinleyville airport for an airshow back in the
late 60's. And I took my 93yr old mother for a hover ride in my Baby Belle
at Murray field this year. Way back in the late 50's I took flying lessons
at Murray field. Good cool air at sea level makes all flying look good.

--
Kathryn Fields
Experimental Helo magazine
P. O. Box 1585