Roster of USN ships in S Asia relief effort ?

Old January 4th 05, 06:54 PM
Brian Sharrock

"John S. Shinal" wrote in message
Howard Berkowitz wrote:
Hopefully they are getting high-priority shipments of logistic
management gear; there was a report they were down to one operating
forklift. Yes, they had plenty of volunteer labor for unloading, but
that's slow and delays the turnaround of the transports.

15th MEU has these :

4 TRAMs (10,000 lb. Capacity Forklifts)
2 Four Thousand lb. Capacity Forklifts
3 D-7 Bulldozers
30 Five-ton Trucks
1 Dump Truck
4 Logistical Vehicle Systems (LVS)

in addition to 60-odd HMMWVs.

It's not clear from the reports (Fox, Sky, BBC, ITN)
whether any of this 'moving' equipment has reached the
shore-areas yet. Certainly some Blackhawks have been
shown (at Banda Aceh). Unfortunately the pointy-end
reporter seem to be using video-phones with jerky
updates and pixelation artefacts - so it's hard to
discern unit identifiers - particularly as 'all-the-world'
has gone down the tone-down route.
[I'm well aware that lots may be happening behind or round-
the-corner from the reporters' camerafolk}

The videos I saw showed 'bucket
brigade' lines of people moving huge piles of supplies. I don't think
the early shipments were palletized, I imagine the next ones will be
as things ramp up.

This is a two-edged sword; a pallet _will_ require a pallet-handler
albeit even a hand-operated one. Lots of two-foot sized boxes _can_
be manhandled and distributed using the most basic of power ...
manpower.

[Having taken delivery of a palletised crate just prior to
Christmas, I can assure you that there's nothing more
frustrating then having a _big_ crate thirty-odd feet from
where is needed ... and no accessible route between them]

--

Brian

Old January 4th 05, 07:20 PM
Kevin Brooks

"Brian Sharrock" wrote in message

"John S. Shinal" wrote in
message
Howard Berkowitz wrote:
Hopefully they are getting high-priority shipments of logistic
management gear; there was a report they were down to one operating
forklift. Yes, they had plenty of volunteer labor for unloading, but
that's slow and delays the turnaround of the transports.

15th MEU has these :

4 TRAMs (10,000 lb. Capacity Forklifts)
2 Four Thousand lb. Capacity Forklifts
3 D-7 Bulldozers
30 Five-ton Trucks
1 Dump Truck
4 Logistical Vehicle Systems (LVS)

in addition to 60-odd HMMWVs.

It's not clear from the reports (Fox, Sky, BBC, ITN)
whether any of this 'moving' equipment has reached the
shore-areas yet.

I saw a piece of engineer equipment being offloaded from an aircraft on the
news this morning.

Certainly some Blackhawks have been
shown (at Banda Aceh). Unfortunately the pointy-end
reporter seem to be using video-phones with jerky
updates and pixelation artefacts - so it's hard to
discern unit identifiers - particularly as 'all-the-world'
has gone down the tone-down route.

So far I have seen both USN and USAF Blackhawks on the video.

Brooks

Old January 4th 05, 09:40 PM
John S. Shinal

Updated info from an official source :

http://www.pacom.mil/special/0412asia/factsheet.shtml

Old January 5th 05, 07:08 AM
Jim Carriere

Kevin Brooks wrote:
So far I have seen both USN and USAF Blackhawks on the video.

Minor nitpick- the USN operates Seahawks, not Blackhawks.

Old January 5th 05, 07:19 AM
Guy Alcala

"John S. Shinal" wrote:

Thanks, Errol and Guy.

News reports last night featured the Admiral in charge
speaking about the relief flights and mentioned 30 helos operating
already, but didn't say if they were flying off of ABRAHAM LINCOLN or
BON HOMME RICHARD - I'll assume the numbers are at least correct if
incomplete.

Tentative roster based on members of WESTPAC 2005 :

CVN 72 USS ABRAHAM LINCOLN obviously can operate a lot of helos

But presumably only has her normal HS squadron aboard, i.e. 10 or so
SH/HH-60s.

CG 52 USS BUNKER HILL listed as 2 SH-60B
DDG 69 USS MILIUS potential 1 SH-60B
FFG 43 USS THACH listed as 2 SH-60B
LHD 6 USS BON HOMME RICHARD listed as 35-40 helicopters
LPD 6 USS DULUTH potential 4 helos
LSD 47 USS RUSHMORE potential 4 helos

15th MEU listed as 12 CH-46E, 4 CH-53E, 3 UH-1N

snip

Just to be clear, the 42-45 helo capacity listed for LHAs/LHDs like the
BHR is their maximum spotting capacity in CH-46 equivalents (CH-46s are
1.0 spotting factor ea., AH/UH-1s are 0.4 ea., CH-53Es are 2.5 ea., I dont
know what the Harriers are) not how many they're actually carrying. She
is carrying the reinforced marine medium helicopter squadron that makes up
the 15th MEU's Air Combat Element, i.e. the 19 tranport/utility helos you
list above (plus the 4 Cobras and 6 Harriers) for the15th MEU. IIRR
there's also a pair of UH-46 or MH-60 utility birds for Vertrep/SAR, that
are considered separate from the MEU's ACE.

Duluth and Rushmore probably don't bring any extra helos - they have the
_capacity_ to carry some, but these are normally helos deployed to them
from the MEU's ACE complement, not extras.

Guy

Old January 5th 05, 08:11 AM
Arved Sandstrom

"Brian Sharrock" wrote in message

[ SNIP ]
This is a two-edged sword; a pallet _will_ require a pallet-handler
albeit even a hand-operated one. Lots of two-foot sized boxes _can_
be manhandled and distributed using the most basic of power ...
manpower.

[Having taken delivery of a palletised crate just prior to
Christmas, I can assure you that there's nothing more
frustrating then having a _big_ crate thirty-odd feet from
where is needed ... and no accessible route between them]

Non-trivial point, and well made. You need quite smooth surface to operate a
man-pushed dolly, fairly smooth and firm surface to work a forklift, and
practically any surface you like except mudslides or a cliff to have guys
carry out boxes of supplies.

I trust that only the cleared airports in the affected regions are using
equipment at the moment. Elsewhere it's probably helos bringing stuff in. On
the latter point, I don't know if they have yet airlifted in any light or
medium trucks.

AHS

Old January 5th 05, 02:59 PM
Kevin Brooks

"Guy Alcala" wrote in message
. ..
"John S. Shinal" wrote:

[...]

Don't discount the possibility of other aircraft being flown into the region
to join them on-station; I heard this morning that the US military plans to
increase dramatically the number of helos that will be operating in the
region (to well over 100); it may make sense to use the CVN and LHD in the
"lillypad" role. USAF Blackhawks have already appeared after being flown in
by C-5/C-17.

Brooks

Guy

Old January 5th 05, 05:26 PM
Michael Wise

In article ,
"Brian Sharrock" wrote:

...Certainly some Blackhawks have been
shown (at Banda Aceh). Unfortunately the pointy-end
reporter seem to be using video-phones with jerky
updates and pixelation artefacts - so it's hard to
discern unit identifiers - particularly as 'all-the-world'
has gone down the tone-down route.
[I'm well aware that lots may be happening behind or round-
the-corner from the reporters' camerafolk}

They are Seahawks, and the unit is HS-2 (my alma mater).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4142047.stm

That's the "World Famous" Golden Falcons emblem on the front of the
helo...but even not seeing that, the U.S. flag aft of the cargo door is
a giveaway, as HS-2 is, I believe, the only squadron in the USN
authorized to have it painted on their aircraft.

--Mike
Old January 5th 05, 07:04 PM
Brian Sharrock

"Michael Wise" wrote in message
In article ,
"Brian Sharrock" wrote:

...Certainly some Blackhawks have been
shown (at Banda Aceh). Unfortunately the pointy-end
reporter seem to be using video-phones with jerky
updates and pixelation artefacts - so it's hard to
discern unit identifiers - particularly as 'all-the-world'
has gone down the tone-down route.
[I'm well aware that lots may be happening behind or round-
the-corner from the reporters' camerafolk}

They are Seahawks, and the unit is HS-2 (my alma mater).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4142047.stm

Thanks for the URL and the identification of the unit/aircraft.
At the time I posted my input, SkyNews was reporting the
removal of the B373 off the runway and only showing a
line of ????Hawks from their rear aspect. - The impression
given by the reporter was that these were USMC aircraft.

That's the "World Famous" Golden Falcons emblem on the front of the
helo...but even not seeing that, the U.S. flag aft of the cargo door is
a giveaway, as HS-2 is, I believe, the only squadron in the USN
authorized to have it painted on their aircraft.

Interestingly, the aircraft depicted in your URL was not _toned down_
its bearing a red-blue-white USAF symbol, the flag is fully chromatic
and the unit badge is, as you say, definitely Golden; yet its got the basic
toned-down grey hull. Does HS-2 march to the sound of its own drum?
Haven't I seen the full-colo(u)r US National flag on the outside of
other USAF aircraft - albeit normally on the tail?

--

Brian