LCACs and tsunami support?

Old January 5th 05, 02:14 AM
Mike Bandor

Default LCACs and tsunami support?

Do we have any LCACs supporting the relief efforts? I would think that the
LCACs would be suited very well to handle part of the task of getting
supplies on-shore (no need for an airstrip or port deep enough -- or still
functioning).

Just curious.

Mike

Old January 5th 05, 02:38 AM
Thomas Schoene

Mike Bandor wrote:
Do we have any LCACs supporting the relief efforts? I would think
that the LCACs would be suited very well to handle part of the task
of getting supplies on-shore (no need for an airstrip or port deep
enough -- or still functioning).

There are LCACs in the Bonhomme Richard ESG, which is either already
assisting or is on the way to assist.

"Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when
wrong to be put right." - Senator Carl Schurz, 1872

Old January 5th 05, 04:05 PM
Ogden Johnson III

"Mike Bandor" wrote:

Do we have any LCACs supporting the relief efforts? I would think that the
LCACs would be suited very well to handle part of the task of getting
supplies on-shore (no need for an airstrip or port deep enough -- or still
functioning).

Just curious.

First reaction would be that you're talking mixed blessing here.
Fine, if all of the supplies needed are transported
in/crossdecked to LHAs/LHDs/LPDs/LSDs for loading onto the LCACs
in their well-decks. Otherwise, use of LCACs would require the
supplies to be offloaded by crane as they lay alongside the cargo
ship bringing the supplies. [Which also begs the question of how
many break bulk cargo ships are left in this container era? And
how many standard containers can an LCAC carry? Will the onshore
relief effort have the capability/manpower needed to handle and
unload containers brought in by LCAC instead of unloaded at a
port? Will they be able to handle even break bulk cargo brought
in by LCACs?]

This is not to gainsay the benefits the availability of some
LCACs may offer in the relief efforts, but to warn against
overestimating their ultimate value. LCACs work best/most
efficiently coupled with the gator navy ships they were designed
to be deployed aboard/from.
--
OJ III
Old January 5th 05, 04:53 PM
T Bird

Have not seen them , But the Bonnie Dick Amphib Group almost certainly
has them . Along with LCUs and LCM8s .

Old January 5th 05, 05:52 PM
Jeroen Wenting

"Ogden Johnson III" wrote in message
"Mike Bandor" wrote:

[...]

They would indeed be more appropriate to ferry supplies further inland from
port facilities (probably improvised port facilities) to areas that can't be
reached by trucks (and then specifically to carry loads too heavy for
helicopters).

Old January 6th 05, 05:22 AM

Speaking of helicopters, how come they're not sling-loading
nets/pallets of supplies? Saw on TV someone saying in some places the
ground was too soft for landing, and also saw supplies being tossed out
the door from a hover.
Walt BJ