Navion Maintainance

Old September 22nd 03, 02:06 PM
PiperSeneca@

Default Navion Maintainance

Thank you for the excellent info on parts availabilty. On a similar
topic, are there any maintenance trouble spots on the older Navions?
I was told that the hydraulic system is leaky or troublesome. Is this
true, how bad a problem is it and are there any other areas of
concern?
Old September 22nd 03, 03:45 PM
Ron Natalie

"PiperSeneca@" wrote in message om...
Thank you for the excellent info on parts availabilty. On a similar
topic, are there any maintenance trouble spots on the older Navions?
I was told that the hydraulic system is leaky or troublesome. Is this
true, how bad a problem is it and are there any other areas of
concern?

If you got leaks, you got leaks. The biggest problem is if you let someone
who hasn't a clue overhall the valves and such. I've never had any hydraulic
problems.

Getting the gear to stay up is a perrenial problem. There are a number of things
that can cause this to happen, and you might end up going through a number
of them before you figure it out.

From my own experience and listening to tons of Navion maintenance Q&A sessions
over the years, there's really no single big problem. Just lots of stuff that happens
with 50 year old aircraft...corrosion, very old parts that have escaped inspection
for decades, etc... Lots of technical information is out there specific to Navions
but no great smoking gun.

Old September 22nd 03, 09:11 PM
rip

Here's a Navion site for you:
http://rip.tzo.com/index.html

And here's another:

Old September 22nd 03, 09:18 PM
Montblack

("Ron Natalie" wrote)
snip
From my own experience and listening to tons of Navion maintenance Q&A

sessions
over the years, there's really no single big problem. Just lots of stuff

that happens
with 50 year old aircraft...corrosion, very old parts that have escaped

inspection
for decades, etc... Lots of technical information is out there specific

to Navions
but no great smoking gun.

How's your(pl) Navion project coming along?

--
Montblack

Old September 22nd 03, 09:20 PM
Ron Natalie

"Montblack" wrote in message ...

How's your(pl) Navion project coming along?

Going back together. I've got to send a list of avionics to the shop today so that he can start doing the panel.

Old September 22nd 03, 09:54 PM
Jay Honeck

How's your(pl) Navion project coming along?

Going back together. I've got to send a list of avionics to the shop

today so that he can start doing the panel.

Ka-CHING! ;-)

So any estimated delivery date yet?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 22nd 03, 11:42 PM
Michelle P

The only things I have seen working on Ron and Margy's Navion is pretty
standard for an old airplane. Landing gear parts need overhauled
occasionally and the electrical system can be a pain. For a Small pane
it is fairly easy to work on.

Michelle

PiperSeneca@ wrote:

Thank you for the excellent info on parts availabilty. On a similar
topic, are there any maintenance trouble spots on the older Navions?
I was told that the hydraulic system is leaky or troublesome. Is this
true, how bad a problem is it and are there any other areas of
concern?

--

Michelle P CP-ASMEL-IA, and AMT-A&P

"Elisabeth" a Maule M-7-235B (no two are alike)

Volunteer Pilot, Angel Flight Mid-Atlantic

Volunteer Builder, Habitat for Humanity

Old September 22nd 03, 11:48 PM
Ron Natalie

"Michelle P" wrote in message
hlink.net...
The only things I have seen working on Ron and Margy's Navion is pretty
standard for an old airplane. Landing gear parts need overhauled
occasionally and the electrical system can be a pain. For a Small pane
it is fairly easy to work on.

It was Michelle who figured out that the reason our position lights kept blowing was
that during some upgrade (most likely the addition of the tip tanks) someone abandoned
a "live" wire inside the wing which would intermittantly ground out to the wing.
Gotta love 50 years of people tinkering with the plane.

Old September 23rd 03, 02:13 PM
Jay Honeck

Going back together. I've got to send a list of avionics to the shop
today so that he can start doing the panel.

Ka-CHING! ;-)

Thanks Jay!

Hey, speaking as someone who has recently replaced a com radio, just
replaced our attitude indicator (which -- in a rare aviation instance of
"killing two birds with one stone" -- fixed the autopilot as well), is in
the middle of having some major fiberglass work done on our tip tanks, AND
is completely re-doing our interior, I really do feel your pain!

Ah, but won't they be beautiful when they're done?

Oh, wait...they're *never* "done", are they...?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA