R22 training software or simulator??

Old September 17th 03, 06:00 PM
EGWW

Default R22 training software or simulator??

Ive got a few hours several years ago in R22 and a 47 and want to continue
transition. Is there any interesting training or simulator software out
currently??

Im not looking for a career, just personal use

Rocky are you still watching this group??
regards JB
Old September 18th 03, 10:35 AM
Andrew Crane

wrote in message
FS2004 has an R22 Beta II in it.

It does have an R22, but it flies nothing like a helicopter. Looks very much
like an R22 but that's as far as it goes.

Nobody is going to learn anything about controlling a helicopter from a home
simulator, but a much closer flight model is X-Plane. Not perfect, but light
years closer than FS2004.

Regards
Andrew

--
Inweb Networks. Quality internet and telecoms services
Sales: 08000 612222 Support: 08704322222. http://www.inweb.co.uk

Old September 18th 03, 05:06 PM
Bart

I've flown the FAA approved stimulator that is in a trailer and based
on MS-Flightsim. Its pretty much bull****. The Jetranger model they
have flys nothing like the real machine. The thing crashes when it
should not, and doesn't kill you when it should.

I did have a whole lot of fun shooting autos to rooftop helipads though,
something I'd never get a chance to try in the realworld.

About the only thing I can see being useful about that sim is practicing
IFR procs. You can shoot a lot more approaches in one hour in a sim than
you can in the real world.

Bart

Old September 19th 03, 02:17 PM
Clive

"Bart" wrote in message
I've flown the FAA approved stimulator that is in a trailer and based
on MS-Flightsim. Its pretty much bull****. The Jetranger model they
have flys nothing like the real machine. The thing crashes when it
should not, and doesn't kill you when it should.

I did have a whole lot of fun shooting autos to rooftop helipads though,
something I'd never get a chance to try in the realworld.

About the only thing I can see being useful about that sim is practicing
IFR procs. You can shoot a lot more approaches in one hour in a sim than
you can in the real world.

Bart

I have 40 hours logged on R22 and 3 on R44

I've tried the flight model for helicopters in FS2002, FS2004, X-Plane and
just recently Search and Rescue 4 (Demo). The best so far is Search and
Rescue 4. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of FS2004, but is much
easier on system resources and the flight model is pretty good. There is no
R22 in it though.

Clive

Old September 20th 03, 05:21 PM

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 10:35:00 +0100, "Andrew Crane"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
FS2004 has an R22 Beta II in it.

It does have an R22, but it flies nothing like a helicopter. Looks very much
like an R22 but that's as far as it goes.

I disagree. It's not perfect by far - anti-torque pedal input is not
really required to fly it - but it can teach some things. And wait -
it's fun!

Nobody is going to learn anything about controlling a helicopter from a home
simulator, but a much closer flight model is X-Plane. Not perfect, but light
years closer than FS2004.

Disagree again. I have the most recent version of X-Plane, and it's
sitting on the shelf. If I thought it was realistic I'd fly it a lot
more. It's certainly a lot more *unstable* than FS2004 in the
helicopters, but it sure doesn't feel like an R22 to me.

FS2004 (and probably X-Plane) can help with *some* things, like pinnacle
approaches and some of the very basic things like what the collective
does, what the cyclic does. (I sure do wish it had better anti-torque
pedal emulation.) Also, it gives an introduction to power management -
take the R22 to a high-altitude airport in FS2004 and try to hover. It's
difficult to do without pulling too much MP.

With the right digital mesh (aka digital elevation data, some of which
is freeware), it can also give a pilot a reasonable idea of what the
terrain is like in a given region before flying there. And, as someone
else said, it's an excellent IFR platform.

I get tired of people dissing FS all the time - it's certainly not
anywhere near a FlightSafety full-motion sim, but it has its uses and I
enjoy flying the helicopters (and planes) in it quite a bit.

---

BTW to the poster that likes SAR4 - I could not get my
throttle/collective to work at all in that game. Do you have a separate
throttle control, and if so is it USB or gameport?

Dave Blevins
Old September 21st 03, 07:27 PM
Clive

wrote:
BTW to the poster that likes SAR4 - I could not get my
throttle/collective to work at all in that game. Do you have a separate
throttle control, and if so is it USB or gameport?

Dave Blevins

Yes Dave Got my Throttle/Anti Torque to work no problem with my Logitech
Wingman (Gameport on W2k)

Clive

Old September 23rd 03, 01:53 AM
Dan Moos

I hear alot that the ani-torque pedals specifically are poorly done in MSFS
2004.

I am a fixed wing pilot, who probably will never have the funds to justify
getting my helicopter rating, but I do fly the helicopters in MSFS for fu,
and am curious what needs changing. I found the R22 to be way squirrly in
yaw, but the rudder pedals on the Cessnas were way over the top also. Once I
set up my pedals for what felt accurate in the airplanes, I discovered that
I could handle the helicopter WAY better also.

So my question is, am I cheating? In the real R22, are the pedals as touchy
as the sim makes them without adjustment?

How about the collective and cyclic controls. Again, I have everything set
up for what seems closest in reality for the Cessnas, so every thing is a
little toned down from the out of the box settings.

Old September 23rd 03, 08:32 PM

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 00:53:33 GMT, "Dan Moos"
wrote:

I hear alot that the ani-torque pedals specifically are poorly done in MSFS
2004.

You might be seeing multiple posts by me - I always complain about it
when talking about helicopters in FS 8^) .

I am a fixed wing pilot, who probably will never have the funds to justify
getting my helicopter rating, but I do fly the helicopters in MSFS for fu,
and am curious what needs changing. I found the R22 to be way squirrly in
yaw, but the rudder pedals on the Cessnas were way over the top also. Once I
set up my pedals for what felt accurate in the airplanes, I discovered that
I could handle the helicopter WAY better also.

So my question is, am I cheating? In the real R22, are the pedals as touchy
as the sim makes them without adjustment?

The main thing is that in any light helicopter (and most others as well
for that matter), you're gonna *have* to put in some increasing
anti-torque pedal as you pull collective - particularly on liftoff. In
FS, you can lift off with very little or no pedal at all. If you did
that in an R22 you'd be spinning like a top. For a very little while
that is, if you don't put in some pedal.

How about the collective and cyclic controls. Again, I have everything set
up for what seems closest in reality for the Cessnas, so every thing is a
little toned down from the out of the box settings.

The collective is OK. The cyclic is probably not sensitive enough, even
with the FS axis sensitivity set to the maximum. It is very easy to
over-control an R22 when you first get into one - or at least it was for
me after having about 85 hours in the S300.

I have to say that FS falls down completely on some other things too -
FS2004 doesn't autorotate at all (FS2002 was passable with certain
add-on aircraft) and there are some other things that it doesn't model,
like wind effects (e.g. rear quartering tailwind, which makes hovering
interesting indeed). But as I said in my previous post it's a good
introduction to flying helicopters, especially considering it's marketed
as a game.

Dave Blevins
Old October 1st 03, 08:03 PM
ChopperJon2

Microsoft flightsim is great and realistic. Use the bell 206. or download an
r-22 addon from simviation