Changed the oil today...

Old January 5th 07, 02:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Viperdoc[_4_]

Default Changed the oil today...

I was tempted to drive down some remote road and dribble it out the back,
but felt there had to be a better disposal solution for used oil.

Old January 5th 07, 02:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
RST Engineering

Our county cut a deal with a re-refiner down in Sacramento to put up a 350
gallon storage container into which we dump our useed oil. WE are on our
honor not to dump gasoline contaminated oil, and so far after 10 years we've
never been gigged for contaminated waste oil.

THe rerefiner, of course, simply filters the bejesus out of the oil and
remarkets it in quarts to the cheap auto parts stores where it merrily
lubricates old automobile engines that burn a quart every couple of hundred
miles.

Those rerefiners have a regular "circuit" that they make on a daily basis on
a 500 mile radius of their home base. You might want to talk your local
airport commission into an investigation -- as I recall, the rerefiner pays
a few bucks a gallon to the county for the privilege.

Jim

"Viperdoc" wrote in message
. net...
Jay: What do you do with the used oil? Our FBO wouldn't take it because
they were concerned it might somehow be contaminated. Rather than
accumulate a drum of waste oil that I would need to get a hazmat permit to
get rid of, I have the mechanic do it.

JN

Old January 5th 07, 03:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Matt Whiting

Viperdoc wrote:
I was tempted to drive down some remote road and dribble it out the back,
but felt there had to be a better disposal solution for used oil.

Where I live, service stations, car dealerships, Wal-Marts, any store
that sells oil or performs oil changes is required to receive used oil
for recycling. I'm guessing this varies by state so I don't know what
options exist where you are, but I'm guessing there are options.

Matt
Old January 5th 07, 04:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
David Lesher

"M" writes:

Well, they better keep quiet about it. Used piston engine oil from
aircraft burning 100LL contains fairly large amount of lead (that's why
it looks green-ish). Burning it will release the lead into atmosphere
in the surrounding area.

So does burning AvGas......

ITSM the EPA requires that anyone selling oil accepts used oil back.
[Or have a place to send you to that does...]

I'm SURE there's a recycling location near you; ask around.

--
A host is a host from coast to
Old January 5th 07, 04:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dave[_3_]

Sat here forcast to be 12 C deg..

No forcast daytime temps below 0 C until Jan 10...

HAW!

Dave (in New Brunswick,Canada)

On 3 Jan 2007 16:51:39 -0800, "Jay Honeck" wrote:

...in my hangar.

...on January 3rd...

...in a light jacket...

...in Iowa....

Is this the twilight zone, or global warming? Either way, I'm loving
it!

:-)

Old January 5th 07, 05:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
A Lieberma

Dave wrote in
:

Sat here forcast to be 12 C deg..

No forcast daytime temps below 0 C until Jan 10...

HAW!

Dave (in New Brunswick,Canada)

Not to make you jealous or anything, but I am planning to fly in forecasted
IMC conditions, ceilings forecasted to be 300 feet, to knock out some
approaches tomorrow morning (Friday at 16Z), no icing risks, the
thunderstorms will have past by here at KMBO (Madison MS) in a couple of
hours (about 6Z), and the temp at altitude will be a chilly 55 degrees.

Downstairs when I tie down, well 70F should fit the bill.

Life is good, life is good!!!!

Allen
Old January 5th 07, 02:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jim[_11_]

"RST Engineering" wrote
Those rerefiners have a regular "circuit" that they make on a daily basis

on
a 500 mile radius of their home base. You might want to talk your local
airport commission into an investigation -- as I recall, the rerefiner

pays
a few bucks a gallon to the county for the privilege.

My brother-in-law drives a pick-up route for one such rerefiner. He's told
me that their company filters and re-refines it down to #4 fuel oil which
they mainly sell to asphalt plants that burn it in their asphalt heating
furnaces.

Here on the farm we collect it in a 500 gallon tank and sell it to a
rerefiner that picks it up once a month. Right now they'er paying about
$0.85 per gallon, but they take anything that's dumped into the tank.
(hydraulic fluid, brake fluid, ect.) They'll pay more if it's strictly used
motor oil.

Jim

Old January 5th 07, 03:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Viperdoc[_4_]

It all sounds like a lot of work, storing the used oil, taking it to the
dump (or having a large holding tank). My mechanic does an oil change with
10 qts and a new filter for around $125.00.

I can buy oil in bulk for around 3.50 a quart, and a filter is around 20.00
(as far as I remember). With his shop helper he can do the change in an
hour, while it takes me around twice as long doing it alone. Add in the
cost, time, and hassle of storing the used oil or going to the dump to get
rid of it, the price may just break even. (Three plus hours of time to do
the job and get rid of the oil may be worth the extra 55.00)

It is three hours that could be spent flying, sleeping, drinking beer, or
doing some other worthwhile activity like helping coach my son's hockey
team, etc.

I still favor the idea of driving down a rural road at night and dribbling
out a little at a time. It helps keep the dust down in summer. (at least
that's what they said when I saw them do it in a grass strip in Vermont,
where I learned to fly).

Old January 5th 07, 03:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Blueskies

"Viperdoc" wrote in message ...
:
: I still favor the idea of driving down a rural road at night and dribbling
: out a little at a time. It helps keep the dust down in summer. (at least
: that's what they said when I saw them do it in a grass strip in Vermont,
: where I learned to fly).
:
:

That is basically what asphalt is - oil and rocks. Folks get all worked up about disposal when there are who knows how
many miles in asphalt roads all around the country, each oozing a little bit back into the ground...

Old January 5th 07, 04:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Noel

Changing the oil is one of the times I can commune with my engine with the
cowl off. While the last dribbles run out of the engine I can take a close
look for loose wires, exhaust cracks etc. I would rather do it that way
than hassle with getting the plane to someone else to do the job. The
biggest challenge has been getting the filter safety wire on snugly, but now
I can do it without cutting it off and redoing it several times. Owner
maintenance is part of my satisfaction with owning an airplane.

--
Best Regards,
Mike

http://photoshow.comcast.net/mikenoel

I'm a uniter, not a divider. - GWB, 1999.