squawk code 2000

Old March 14th 07, 07:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Gordy

Default squawk code 2000

I just got back to the snow in upstate New York from Maui. We flew United
Airlines both ways. It was fun listening in on channel 9. I was surprised to
hear all the flights getting the same squawk code. Each flights was
instructed to squawk 2000 over the Pacific Ocean. Are all flights between
the main land and Hawaii handled in this manner? What is the reasoning?

Old March 14th 07, 07:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll

"Gordy" wrote in message

I just got back to the snow in upstate New York from Maui. We flew United
Airlines both ways. It was fun listening in on channel 9. I was surprised
to hear all the flights getting the same squawk code. Each flights was
instructed to squawk 2000 over the Pacific Ocean. Are all flights between
the main land and Hawaii handled in this manner? What is the reasoning?

FAA Order 7110.66C National Beacon Code Allocation Plan assigns code 2000
for use in oceanic airspace.

Old March 14th 07, 11:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Don Poitras

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

"Gordy" wrote in message

I just got back to the snow in upstate New York from Maui. We flew United
Airlines both ways. It was fun listening in on channel 9. I was surprised
to hear all the flights getting the same squawk code. Each flights was
instructed to squawk 2000 over the Pacific Ocean. Are all flights between
the main land and Hawaii handled in this manner? What is the reasoning?

FAA Order 7110.66C National Beacon Code Allocation Plan assigns code 2000
for use in oceanic airspace.

Some googling provides the reasoning. Since there isn't radar control out
there, there is no reason for discrete squawks, but TCAS will still need
transponders turned on, so convention says use 2000.

--
Don Poitras

Flight Simulator 2004 pro 4CDs, Eurowings 2004, Sea Plane Adventures, Concorde, HONG KONG 2004, World Airlines, other Addons, Sky Ranch, Jumbo 747, Greece 2000 [include El.Venizelos], Polynesia 2000, Real Airports, Private Wings, FLITESTAR V8.5 - JEP vvcd Piloting 0 September 22nd 04 07:13 PM
Squawk Sheets Greg Esres Piloting 23 August 23rd 04 08:15 PM
Radar contact before squawk David Brooks Instrument Flight Rules 20 March 25th 04 01:34 AM
Radar contact before squawk David Brooks Piloting 3 March 24th 04 04:20 AM
"Squawk standby" Roy Smith General Aviation 9 March 23rd 04 05:34 AM