What is this sound?

Old June 7th 04, 09:17 PM
gatt

Default What is this sound?

If you stand a quarter of a mile or so from the threshold at PDX 28R, (or at
the cemetery at McCarran in Las Vegas, the incoming), you hear a windy,
howling sound that is so well defined it seems to take shape in the sky
after the larger jets have passed for touchdown.

Has anybody heard it? What is that? Our theory has always been that its
the wingtip vortices collapsing.

-c

Old June 7th 04, 09:33 PM
Jay Honeck

Has anybody heard it? What is that? Our theory has always been that its
the wingtip vortices collapsing.

We've heard it, too. Only the big jets seem to make that noise.

It's very cool, almost creepy.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 7th 04, 10:22 PM
Pepperoni

It may be the thrust reversing. I presume that the sound is very much
louder on cool humid nights. I lived south of Willow Run (YIP) for many
years, but on those humid nights I could even hear the jets from Detroit
metro (DTW?) which was much further away.

It could also be the sound echo off the steep sides of those rugged hills,
eh?

Old June 7th 04, 10:32 PM
Jay Honeck

It may be the thrust reversing.

Nah -- it's the vortices whistling and zipping, after the plane has passed.

It almost sounds like someone swinging a jump-rope through the air as fast
as they can whip it.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 7th 04, 10:40 PM
Bela P. Havasreti

On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 20:33:30 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

Has anybody heard it? What is that? Our theory has always been that its
the wingtip vortices collapsing.

We've heard it, too. Only the big jets seem to make that noise.

It's very cool, almost creepy.

My vote?

It's got something to do with air building up in front of those large
cowling/nacelle inlets while the jets "glide" towards the airport
at flight-idle.

When the power comes back up, the aerodynamics in front
of the cowling(s) changes and the result is the sound you hear.

(that's my WAG anyway....).

Bela P. Havasreti

Old June 7th 04, 10:51 PM
gatt

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message news:9a5xc.

It may be the thrust reversing.

Nah -- it's the vortices whistling and zipping, after the plane has

passed.

It almost sounds like someone swinging a jump-rope through the air as fast
as they can whip it.

That's exactly what it sounds like. It's truly awesome on a good, still
night. It's so crisp that it seems like you could almost see it, like a
tornado.

In high school, I used to take dates out Marine Drive to listen to it. Heh.
No, really, that's why we went there.

-c

Old June 7th 04, 11:08 PM
Jay Honeck

In high school, I used to take dates out Marine Drive to listen to it.
Heh.
No, really, that's why we went there.

Mary and I drove out to the end of a runway at Mitchell International, in
Milwaukee, WI, just to listen and watch.

And that's all we really did.

*sigh* It's hell to get old...

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 7th 04, 11:10 PM
Kyle Boatright

"gatt" wrote in message

If you stand a quarter of a mile or so from the threshold at PDX 28R, (or

at
the cemetery at McCarran in Las Vegas, the incoming), you hear a windy,
howling sound that is so well defined it seems to take shape in the sky
after the larger jets have passed for touchdown.

Has anybody heard it? What is that? Our theory has always been that its
the wingtip vortices collapsing.

-c

What you're hearing is the wingtip vorticies. A really powerful one sounds
like someone ripping a bedsheet in half.

Old June 8th 04, 02:44 AM
Wizard of Draws

On 6/7/04 6:08 PM, in article aH5xc.18373$Sw.6071@attbi_s51, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

In high school, I used to take dates out Marine Drive to listen to it.

Heh.
No, really, that's why we went there.

Mary and I drove out to the end of a runway at Mitchell International, in
Milwaukee, WI, just to listen and watch.

And that's all we really did.

*sigh* It's hell to get old...

;-)

Jay, you're younger than I am, and I'm not old.
I'm a grandfather six months now and I'm not old.
Old folks don't ride motorcycles like we do. (OK, maybe a Goldwinger can be
old)
Old people don't pilot planes.

I haven't even hit middle age yet, let alone old.
--
Jeff 'The Wizard of Draws' Bucchino
Cartoons with a Touch of Magic

Old June 8th 04, 03:51 AM
Michelle P

Can you get a recording?
Michelle

gatt wrote:

If you stand a quarter of a mile or so from the threshold at PDX 28R, (or at
the cemetery at McCarran in Las Vegas, the incoming), you hear a windy,
howling sound that is so well defined it seems to take shape in the sky
after the larger jets have passed for touchdown.

Has anybody heard it? What is that? Our theory has always been that its
the wingtip vortices collapsing.

-c

--

Michelle P ATP-ASEL, CP-AMEL, and AMT-A&P

"Elisabeth" a Maule M-7-235B (no two are alike)

Volunteer Pilot, Angel Flight Mid-Atlantic

Volunteer Builder, Habitat for Humanity