Human factors RECKLESSNESS

Old April 29th 05, 04:12 AM
john smith

Dudley, don't misunderstand me.
Hoover (an a limited number of others) are special circumstances.
Everything I have read stated that the Shrike was a stock airplane.
I don't recall that Hoover ever spins in the airplane.
The video of the roll while pouring a glass of water is sure a hoot, though!
As I said in my post, in the right hands, some maneuvers not approve by
the manufacturer can in fact be performed safely.
Old April 29th 05, 04:18 AM
Dudley Henriques

"private" wrote in message

My comments were intended to stimulate thought regarding the consequences
of
poor decision making that this week has resulted in two fatalities. I
have
a funeral to attend and I do not know what to say to the mother who has
now
lost both her champion pilot husband and her champion pilot only son.
Dudley, I would appreciate your guidance and wisdom as I am sure you have
been in my position too many times.

Yes, I have unfortunately been in this position more than I care to remember
in my career. Counting our friends on the service jet aerobatic teams, my
wife and I can count 32 people I either flew with, worked with, or knew
professionally in our community who have been lost to fatal accidents
involving aerobatics and low altitude demonstration flying.
I believe I know how you must feel being faced with such a sad event. It
would be presumptuous of me to even attempt to advise you on the best way to
deal with it as I can't imagine a more personal thing than what you are
about to do.
From the way you write however, I also believe you will do the right thing.
Please accept my sincere best wishes and condolences for what most certainly
will be a most trying experience.
Dudley Henriques
International Fighter Pilots Fellowship
Commercial Pilot; CFI; Retired
dhenriquestrashatearthlinktrashdotnet
(take out the trash :-)

Old April 29th 05, 04:19 AM

Dudley,

Your information and attitude on this newsgroup is awesome. I would
love to have you as an aerobatic instructor.

You ever around the Bay Area? I would love to meet with you and talk
with you sometime.

If you know Bob Hoover, then I am sure you knew Amiela Reid and Wayne
Handley? Those are my all time favorite airshow pilots. Before Ameila
Reid passed, I would watch her performmances at the Watsonville Fly-in
in her Cessna 150 Acro, so graceful.

Anyway, keep up the teaching, it is not lost on everybody.

Donovan
C-172 Pilot
150 hrs.

Old April 29th 05, 04:30 AM
private

Dudley,

As always, thanks for being here, we all value your council and your
example.

Blue skies to all

"Dudley Henriques" dhenriques@noware .net wrote in message
nk.net...

"private" wrote in message

[...]

From the way you write however, I also believe you will do the right

thing.

Old April 29th 05, 05:13 AM
Dudley Henriques

Thank you for the kind word, but I'm afraid my flying days are long over
:-)
I know Bob from the old IFPF days. He was one of our charter members.
You have a couple of real heavyweights there in Amelia and Handley. I never
met them, but both are of course well known to me. Amelia was, before her
death and remains today a legend in the California tailwheel and aerobatic
community. Handley I believe is still flying the Oracle bird. God knows what
Bob is doing these days. Probably sitting on his veranda out there in Palos
Verdes looking at the sea gulls flying over the ocean planning some "new"
maneuver to try and refusing to grow old like the rest of us.:-)
Dudley

oups.com...

Old April 29th 05, 05:46 AM
Peter R.

Andrew Gideon wrote:

I felt a rush the first time I flew into a cloud. The goal was to reach the
point where it *doesn't* cause a rush, however.

Sometimes I will stare at an approaching cloud while flying IFR (on
autopilot) and imagine that it is a brick wall. The speed at which it hits
the aircraft still causes a momentary rush in me.

--
Peter

Old April 29th 05, 11:28 AM
Matt Whiting

john smith wrote:
Dudley, don't misunderstand me.
Hoover (an a limited number of others) are special circumstances.
Everything I have read stated that the Shrike was a stock airplane.
I don't recall that Hoover ever spins in the airplane.
The video of the roll while pouring a glass of water is sure a hoot,
though!
As I said in my post, in the right hands, some maneuvers not approve by
the manufacturer can in fact be performed safely.

I believe that Bob also said at one airshow that he never stressed the
Shrike beyond its certification load limits. As someone said earlier,
it often isn't the aerobatic maneuver itself that stresses the airframe,
it is the botched maneuver or the recovery from a botched maneuver where
the extra strength is needed. Obviously, Mr. Hoover doesn't have to
worry about that. :-)

Matt
Old April 29th 05, 03:26 PM
Matt Barrow

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message
john smith wrote:
Dudley, don't misunderstand me.
Hoover (an a limited number of others) are special circumstances.
Everything I have read stated that the Shrike was a stock airplane.
I don't recall that Hoover ever spins in the airplane.
The video of the roll while pouring a glass of water is sure a hoot,
though!
As I said in my post, in the right hands, some maneuvers not approve by
the manufacturer can in fact be performed safely.

I believe that Bob also said at one airshow that he never stressed the
Shrike beyond its certification load limits. As someone said earlier,
it often isn't the aerobatic maneuver itself that stresses the airframe,
it is the botched maneuver or the recovery from a botched maneuver where
the extra strength is needed. Obviously, Mr. Hoover doesn't have to
worry about that. :-)

According to Liefeld, Hoover's Shrike had just two modifications other than
its smoke system. An hydraulic accumulator in the baggage compartment held
hydraulic pressure so Hoover could extend the gear when the airplane was
upside down and the engines feathered. It also provided Hoover with
nosewheel steering following his deadstick landing and rollout.

The second mod was an automatic unfeathering system. Hoover would shut down
the engines by pulling the prop controls to Feather position while leaving
the throttles and mixture controls in place. To restart, he would advance
the prop levers, tripping microswitches on electric pumps that unfeathered
the props so they would windmill and restart.

Matt
---------------------
Matthew W. Barrow
Site-Fill Homes, LLC.
Montrose, CO

Old April 29th 05, 07:26 PM
gatt

"jsmith" wrote in message news:J1bce.941

Robert A "Bob" Hoover was a military and civilian pilot that did things
with airplanes others said couldn't be done.

Mr. Hoover, however, is credited by many of the best pilots in the history
of aviation to be the best pilot in the history of aviation.

Bob Hoover can do an 8-point roll, power-off, in a cargo plane, glide it
around the pattern and stop it on a dime. I, personally, would not attempt
to do that.

'Course, I've never flown a roll in an airplane, either. I know, I
know...it's a sad thing. One of these days....
-c

Old April 29th 05, 10:32 PM
Ron Natalie

Dudley Henriques wrote:

Everything Bob does and has done in aerobatics with each and every aircraft
he has flown professionally for that purpose has required special waivers
from competent authority.

And certainly an aircraft inspected more often than your average ragged
out trainer. I saw footage of a Hoover wannabe foldering up the wings
on a Partenavia during an airshow.