Adventures in TSA land

Old October 19th 04, 09:17 PM
Michael

Default Adventures in TSA land

Today is October 19, and it's starting to look like 49 CFR Part 1552,
which covers flight training for aliens and security procedures for
flight schools, is going to become effective tomorrow, unchanged. For
the full text, check out
http://www.tsa.gov/interweb/assetlib...onGuidance.doc

If you're a US citizen looking for flight training in an aircraft of
less than 12,500 lbs, or a flight school providing such training, only
one aspect of this rule actually affects you starting tomorrow. But
first, what's a flight school? If you provide flight training, you're
a flight school – even if you're a solo part-time freelancer. Check
out p.20.

The aspect that kicks in on the 20th is the requirement to establish
citizenship. That means you as a student must present proof of
citizenship to your flight school, and the flight school must make a
copy of it and keep it for 5 years. What constitutes acceptable
proof? Well, at least the TSA is specific here. The full list is on
p.37-38.

So far, not too bad. But it gets worse. Within 90 days of the
effective date, which is tomorrow, all flight school employees (and
again, that means everyone including contractors, freelancers,
independents – and even the people working behind the desk – see
p.47-48) must receive initial security awareness training. New hires
only have 60 days from date of hire, so be careful about hiring anyone
in the next 30 days.

Why? Because while TSA has promised to develop the initial security
awareness training program, it's not here yet but will be ready "real
soon now." Watch this space – or, rather, watch
http://www.tsa.gov/public/display?theme=180
for updates. They're promising to be ready no later than October 30.

Of course you need not use their training program – you can develop
your own, and the TSA lays down some guidelines (see p. 49-51). What
the TSA will NOT do is evaluate your program for compliance. Instead,
it reserves the right to audit your program at a later date.

What happens if you're found not to be in compliance? Expect civil
penalties (p.54) You can get a good idea of what to expect by
examining the TSA document on civil penalties (remember, these can be
assessed without judge or jury) by checking out
http://www.tsa.gov/interweb/assetlib...onGuidance.doc
Pay special attention to Page 7, which discusses penalties for flight
training providers failing to comply with any requirement of the alien
pilot training rules. You're looking at up to $10,000 per violation
if you're not an aircraft operator, and can expect civil penalties in
the maximum range. If you are an aircraft operator, you can be liable
for up to $25,000.

A year after you complete the initial security awareness training, you
need recurrent security awareness training – that year and every year.
The TSA will NOT be developing it – you are on your own. They also
will not evaluate it. See above – how lucky are you feeling?

So how about if you are an alien looking for flight training or a
flight school looking to train an alien? It's substantially worse.

For the alien, you're looking at being photographed, fingerprinted,
background-checked – all at your own expense of course. There will
be, as a minimum, a $130 fee. It may go up later (p. 46). That
doesn't include the photographs or fingerprints (p.47). The flight
school will need to keep a copy of all this stuff too – except the
fingerprints. The fee is waived for recurrent training – but that's
for people operating under a certificate only. No operations under
Part 91 (except subpart K) are recognized as recurrent training. The
cost and hassle of BFR's, IPC's, and aircraft/FBO checkouts has just
gone up...

You will need to register through a special TSA web site, and your
flight school will need to verify that registration. Don't count on
them being able to do that any time soon, though.

A flight school needs to have a user id and password issued to access
the web site and verify the registration of alien students. The way
to get that user id and password is to register with the local FSDO
(see p. 24). Since I trained an alien student last year, and expect
that I may train another soon, I called the FSDO. Remember, the
deadline is tomorrow; I called last week. This caught the FSDO
totally by surprise. I was the first person in the Houston FSDO to
call. They had no idea they were supposed to register anyone. The
matter is being escalated to Washington. I still haven't gotten a
call back.

A careful reading of the document (which includes both the text of
1552 and the official explanation) indicates that there is no
grandfather clause – the fact that an alien is already taking flight
training does not mean said training can continue without meeting the
new TSA requirements.

Michael
Old October 19th 04, 09:44 PM
David Brooks

"Michael" wrote in message
om...
Today is October 19, and...

a *great* summary of the TSA IFR, but:

A careful reading of the document (which includes both the text of
1552 and the official explanation) indicates that there is no
grandfather clause - the fact that an alien is already taking flight
training does not mean said training can continue without meeting the
new TSA requirements.

A letter written yesterday, and added to the docket today, by the TSA chief
counsel says that it can continue. The letter doesn't use the same
terminology as the IFR, but hey. It says "flight students" who are already
"enrolled" in such flight training are not subject to the regulation. I
support it's up to us whether we regard the guy who takes 6 years for his
Part 61 instrument rating and goes through three instructors continues to be
enrolled in the training.

They don't say how they justify that opinion, but here's my attempt. The
definition of candidate is "an alien... who *applies for* flight
training...". This definition thus provides the context for everything else.
(The definition, by omission, excludes citizens, which can make it easy to
misinterpret the rest of the rule.) My emphasis on "applies for", not
"undergoes". If you are already in flight training, i.e. you already
applied, you are not defined as a candidate.

The Category 3 rule says "A flight school may not provide training... to a
*candidate*... unless...".

The Category 4 rule (which covers BFRs) says "Prior to beginning recurrent
training for a *candidate*..."

-- David Brooks

Old October 19th 04, 09:46 PM
David Brooks

I wrote in message
support it's up to us whether we regard the guy who takes 6 years for his
Part 61 instrument rating and goes through three instructors continues to

be
enrolled in the training.

support - suppose. Sorry.

Old October 19th 04, 09:47 PM
zatatime

On 19 Oct 2004 13:17:10 -0700,
(Michael) wrote:

Today is October 19, and it's starting to look like 49 CFR Part 1552,
which covers flight training for aliens and security procedures for
flight schools, is going to become effective tomorrow, unchanged. For
the full text, check out
http://www.tsa.gov/interweb/assetlib...onGuidance.doc

You've provided this link twice in your post. I think you meant to
put a different link than this at the top of your post (this is only
the 10 page penalty document). If you could provide the link to the
whole document I'd appreciate it.

Thanks for the info.

Old October 19th 04, 09:55 PM
Jim Burns

I wonder if John and Martha, our buddy Hal, and the AOPA are busy trying to
produce some kind of TSA training video course that will qualify. I can
hardly wait to see what shape Martha's hair takes next.

My biggest disappointment over all this does not come from the rules
themselves, but from the orgainizations, especially NAFI, that claim to keep
CFI's informed and represent them.

Thanks for the update.
Jim

---

Old October 19th 04, 10:01 PM
Mark Hansen

On 10/19/2004 13:17, Michael wrote:

Today is October 19, and it's starting to look like 49 CFR Part 1552,
which covers flight training for aliens and security procedures for
flight schools, is going to become effective tomorrow, unchanged. For
the full text, check out
http://www.tsa.gov/interweb/assetlib...onGuidance.doc

This is not the rule, but is the Sanctions document. I looked around
and was unable to find the full rule (although I could find interpretations
of the rule on various sites).

Do you have a link to the actual rule?

Old October 19th 04, 11:21 PM
Christopher Brian Colohan

Egads. I am a Canadian who is in the US as a grad student
(non-resident alien) and was planning on doing flight training this
spring. It sounds like these new rules and fees would be a
significant burden. This sucks.

I wonder if the fact that a went and took an intro lesson a couple of
months ago makes me already "enrolled" by their definitions. ;-)

Chris
--
Chris Colohan Email: PGP: finger
Web:
Old October 19th 04, 11:54 PM
Roger Long

I wonder if the fact that I went and took an intro lesson a couple of
months ago makes me already "enrolled" by their definitions. ;-)

Nope. It makes you a potential terrorist by their definition.

Remember back to the 911 hearings? They asked someone from the FBI if there
had been any red flags before the attack.

"Senator", was the reply, "We were in a sea of red flags. We just didn't
know which were the important ones."

I think this was one of the most important lessons to come out of the
hearings.

TSA's response to threats is to red flag EVERYTHING! Then, if there is an
attack, they'll be able to say they had a red flag on the target. The folks
who make the U.S. flags that clip onto your car windows will make another
bundle and everyone will overlook the fact that the TSA didn't actually
secure anything.

You should be glad you have Canada to go back to.

--

Roger Long

Old October 20th 04, 01:11 AM
NW_PILOT

"Roger Long" wrote in message

[...]

Until it is declared a threat by our goverment and we occupy it then take it
over.

--

Roger Long