End of an era? "FAA Issues Final Rule On Plastic Pilot Certificates"

Old March 2nd 08, 07:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
AJ

Default End of an era? "FAA Issues Final Rule On Plastic Pilot Certificates"

(From Aero-News.net)

FAA Issues Final Rule On Plastic Pilot Certificates
Requires Changeover by March 2010

When it comes to the question of "paper or plastic?" the FAA has given
its final answer. This week, the FAA released its final rule on the
matter, announcing the required switch to plastic pilot certificates
by March 31, 2010.

The Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association states its members
"overwhelmingly" supported the move, when the FAA first proposed the
matter in 2005. In addition to being far more durable than traditional
paper certificates, the plastic cards also offer greater resistance to
counterfeiting.

Temporary, student, and flight instructor certificates are not
impacted by the change. Those with non-pilot certificates -- such as
ground instructors, flight engineers, and mechanics -- will have three
additional years to change over to the plastic certificate.

Those pilots will a particular attachment to their paper certificates,
or the original issuance date (the plastic certificate will have a new
one,) will still be able to keep their paper certificates -- they just
won't be able to use them to fly.

Pilots may request the plastic certificate through the FAA's website,
at a cost of $2. That fee will be waived, however, if you change your
pilot certificate number to your Social Security number, according to
the pilot advocacy group.

AOPA notes pilots might want to wait a few weeks before requesting
their new certificates, as the FAA is currently processing replacement
certificate for pilots who fly internationally to meet the "English
proficient" endorsement required by the International Civil Aviation
Organization.

If pilots should miss the 2010 deadline, they won't have to take a
check ride or any exams to get back in the air as pilot in command;
they'll simply need to request the plastic certificate... but until
they receive their new certificates, those pilots won't be able to fly
as PIC.
Old March 2nd 08, 07:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Vaughn Simon

A few questions, see below...

"AJ" wrote in message
Temporary, student, and flight instructor certificates are not
impacted by the change.

1) The reference to CFI certificates is confusing. A CFI certificate is
replaced every two years, and my latest one is plastic, so obviously CFI
certificates are making the change.

2) Which brings up question two. Both of my certificates are already plastic
and have been for a while. Is there some new change to certificates that I
still need to deal with? Is this to be yet another new document that has
pictures or biometrics?

Pilots may request the plastic certificate through the FAA's website,
at a cost of $2. That fee will be waived, however, if you change your
pilot certificate number to your Social Security number...

3) Why would anyone want to do that? Was this misstated and the intent is
actually for folks to REMOVE SSNs from their certificate? As a CFI, I have no
desire to write my SSN in every student's logbook. I changed to a new non-SSN
certificate number as soon as it was allowed.

Vaughn

Old March 3rd 08, 07:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
JGalban via AviationKB.com

Vaughn Simon wrote:

Pilots may request the plastic certificate through the FAA's website,
at a cost of $2. That fee will be waived, however, if you change your
pilot certificate number to your Social Security number...

3) Why would anyone want to do that? Was this misstated and the intent is
actually for folks to REMOVE SSNs from their certificate? As a CFI, I have no
desire to write my SSN in every student's logbook. I changed to a new non-SSN
certificate number as soon as it was allowed.

I believe that part was misstated. The FAA has for many years waived the
$2 fee if you are changing your certificate FROM your SSN to a generic number.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)