Hope U.S. soldiers don't get railroaded

Old May 13th 04, 12:19 AM
B2431

Default Hope U.S. soldiers don't get railroaded

From: (HiC)

Regarding the Iraqi prisoner scandal, whether the actions of the
soldiers was right or not - and I don't believe nearly enough of the
facts have been brought to light to make an informed judgement - does
anyone believe that any of this could have possibly happened without
the knowledge and consent of superiors?

I don't doubt the knowledge, with or without consent, went at least as far as
brigade. It doesn't excuse the abuses. I hope everyone in a position to put a
stop to it gets the maximum allowed under the UCMJ.

I don't buy the "lack of training, discipline" etc. line. I believe
they were doing what they were told to do.

Lack of discipline leads to things just like this. A disciplined soldier would
not have done such a thing. One of the very first thing they teach you in mil
law is you are NOT to obey an unlawful order. Every GI from basic trainee
general knows this.

Does anyone believe worse wasn't done during WWII? It seems throwing
men into a mortal combat situation and then judging them by armchair
standards is a mistake.

Much worse was done in WW2 on all sides but that doesn't excuse what happened
this year.

Guarding and transporting prisoners is not "mortal combat" by any stretch of
the term. None of us veterans are armchairing, we all know the limits under
Geneva and UCMJ.

Join the military branch of your choice and learn.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old May 13th 04, 09:00 AM
B2431

From: (HiC)

"Keith Willshaw" wrote in message

That will come out at trial but the knowledge of or even
orders from a superior are no defense. All soldiers
are REQUIRED to disobey illegal orders and there
is no excuse for the behaviour portrayed.

That's assuming they knew the orders were illegal. How many soldiers
are so intimately familiar with the UCMJ, Geneva Convention, etc. that
they can second guess what a military court is going to back them on?
Plus, standing where you are, it's easy to say "they should have..."
Theory is one thing, actually trying to buck authority in the field is
another. The military is not set up to protect do-gooders and
whistleblowers. And if they make a stink, disobey direct orders and it
turns out they were wrong? They're hosed.

Does anyone believe worse wasn't done during WWII?

nor were they tortured
or deprived of sleep as part of an interrogation.

Sure they weren't.

Assuming the GIs in question are MPs the answer to that is very simple. They
were taught handling of prisoners in AIT. At the very least they knew from
basic to comport themselves as soldiers. They lacked the self discipline shown
by the others of the sam ranks who did not abuse the prisoners.

If just ONE of the people in their chain of command were familiar with Geneva
and UCMJ they shouldn't have allowed it to continue. Evidently there was no
discipline in the chain of command and and pinitive actions should be taken as
far up the chain of command as needed.

You may never have served in the military, but I have and I expect much more
from servicemen than I do from civilians who never served.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired.
Old May 14th 04, 04:32 PM

Vince Brannigan
wrote:

In this case it is not clear if facts or conviction were the key goals
but The belief by some interrogators that a few minutes physical torture
will extract truth is widespread

Vince

I'd think that most would know that the
harsher the torture the more the victim would
try to convince the torturer that he was
getting what he wanted.

I suppose anyone inhuman enough to engage in
this practice likely doesn't have the mental
wherewithal to realize that it's not very
successful in garnering truth.
--

-Gord.