First Full down Autorotation

Old October 21st 04, 07:03 AM
Hennie Roets

Default First Full down Autorotation

Hi to you all,

I did my first full down autorotation yesterday however it was not my
intention.
It was not so bad afterall. I was busy doing my renewal on a R22 Beta 2
We did a few auto's with the instructor cutting the throttle and me doing
the auto. The instructor added throttle everytime after I leveled the
aircraft.

We then did a few hover auto's with the instructor telling me to keep the
throttle in the indent after he closed it when I cushion the landing. This
was
to keep the engine at idle when doing the landing.

We then flew a circuit again for one last autorotation. The entry was no
problem
with the instructor managing the throttle again. At the bottom I flared,
then leveled the
aircraft and started to pull collective to cushion for a landing and then it
happened.
There was no power added. I did the only thing left and that was to land the
aircraft.
The landing was not to bad at all. We did not even move forward.
I then asked the instructor why did he not add power. He replied that
he tried but I had the throttle locked in the indent the same as in the
hover auto!!!!

It might have been a problem with me locking the throttle but I surely
passed
my checkride!

Regards

Hennie

Old October 21st 04, 01:53 PM
SelwayKid

"Hennie Roets" wrote in message ...
[...]

VOETSOK MAN!!!! That made me laugh and even reminded me that many
times a full down is easier than hover recovery! However, there at,
what are you about 5000'msl? it can get exciting. Who was your
examiner? I suspect all the guys I flew with there are now dead or
retired legends!!
Cheers
Rocky
Old October 21st 04, 05:44 PM
Kathryn & Stuart Fields

Congratulations Hennie. I knew you had it in you... How's Vic Ventor doing
with his ship? I don't hear anything from his direction.
BTW the magazine is at the printer and should be mailed out soon. We will
take care of the international mailings as soon as we get our hands on the
bunch. Take a look at Bart's website. He has some interesting vibration
measurements.
Stu Fields

Old October 22nd 04, 06:36 AM
Hennie Roets

Stu hi,
I will take a look at his website. I am subscribed to his mailing
list.
I am looking forward to the mag.
I talked to Vic last week. He is planning to sell the Safari. He do not fly
it
and did not even complete his Licence. He offered me the agency but
without a machine I do not think that will be worth much. I am definitely
not planning to swap
my heli for his. However there is another builder in South Africa. I think
he also subscribed to
the mag.

Regards

Hennie

Old October 22nd 04, 06:44 AM
Hennie Roets

Rocky you are right the landing is definitely easier than the recovery to a
hover.

Yeah 5350' msl with me at 210 pounds and the instructor at 208 and he is
only a kid. I do not think he is 30 yet.

I suspect that the older guy's are all retired. I do not know if you know
Keith Smith. A short blond haired
guy of about 130 pounds. He is the Enstrom agent and is the only guy that I
know that could be your'e
age.

Old October 26th 04, 03:18 AM
Stuart Fields

Hennie: You sound like a prime candidate for my Power/Weight improvment
program. I have developed a program for improving the helicopter
performance that is 100% guaranteed. I'm in the process of testing it out
on my ship right now, but I'm convinced that it will work.
First of all you get a Hockey goalies face mask and keep in on 24hrs/day for
a couple of months. You should start noticiing an improvement in your
helicopter's performance within a week, and the improvement should continue
as long as you wear the mask. Try not to over do a good thing.
Stu

Old October 27th 04, 06:26 AM
Hennie Roets

Stu,
I can vouch that it do work. I lost 22 pounds during the last 5
months but without
the face mask and my heli's performance is a lot better with two up.

Regards

Hennie