newbie question hand held GPS

Old July 18th 03, 08:31 PM
Nosegear

Default newbie question hand held GPS

Maybe PocketFMS will do the trick for you? It's an application that runs
on either a laptop with a GPS attached, or a PocketPC like the iPAQ. It
records 'breadcrumbs' which can be plotted onto a chart and it's
freeware! Of course you'd need to have some PocketPC and a compatible GPS
receiver, but this hardware is multifunctional (PDA, internet etc).

You can find it at www.pocketfms.com

Blue skies,

Nosegear

MikeM wrote in
:

Not very affordable, but my Garmin295 can record and download
the track after fight. Memory is limited to about 4000 points.

Almost any modern GPS (aviation or not) will transmit
its present postion (in real time) as a NEMA sentence
(ascii text) through a configurable RS232 port (nominally
at 4800baud N 8 1).

All you need to record your track is a serial cable, a laptop
computer, and the dumbest "terminal" program (like
HyperTerm) to record the text strings. After flight,
parsing the lat/lons as a function of time is a
simple programming exercise. I've done this using an
old DOS only laptop which I bought at a garage sale for $10.

MikeM
Skylane '1mm
Pacer '00z

Eoin-MFD wrote:

hello,

I want to buy a GPS hand held that will log the route I walk very
accurately. I wish to then put this route into a CAD program.

I am looking for something that will do this and also has an interface
to take the route off the handheld down to a PC.

it's for plotting boundries in fields. which I wish to draw up in CAD
afterwards.

what would be an affordable model that would serve this purpose?

all help is greatly appreciated,

Thanks,
Eoin.