Legal question - Pilot liability and possible involvement with a crime

Old November 20th 03, 03:33 PM
John

Default Legal question - Pilot liability and possible involvement with a crime

I write this question solely from an aviation point of view, and don't
wish to start any thread or discussion regarding the principal or
newsmaker involved.

What would happen if Michael Jackson wanted to flee the country in his
corporate jet? - specifically, would his corporate aviation department
(assuming he has one) agree to fly this mission if asked.

It's a purely theortical question, but I am curious whether a
professional pilot could be charged with a crime if he knowingly aided
a person avoid an arrest warrant. I would have to guess yes, though
I may be wrong. What if the corporate pilot did not know the reason
for his mission to fly abroad, just that he was told to do it (or
perhaps was misled - for example - he was told to pick someone up).
Does he have a duty to know the purpose of the mission/names of the
people aboard?

Any comments on this question from lawyers in this group or corporate
pilots would be appreciated.

Thanks,

John
Old November 20th 03, 05:01 PM
John Harlow

What would happen if Michael Jackson wanted to flee the country in his
corporate jet? - specifically, would his corporate aviation department
(assuming he has one) agree to fly this mission if asked.

I suppose if the pilot were notified of his warrant, the term "aiding and
abetting a fugitive " certainly sounds applicable.

Old November 20th 03, 05:34 PM
G.R. Patterson III

John wrote:

It's a purely theortical question, but I am curious whether a
professional pilot could be charged with a crime if he knowingly aided
a person avoid an arrest warrant.

There is a Federal crime of "aiding and abetting a fugitive". Some of the States
(I don't know if California is one) would allow the pilot to also be charged
as "accessory after the fact", which can carry sentences nearly as severe as
Jackson's crime.

I knew a woman once in Georgia who shot a man and stole his car. A 14 year old
girl who helped her avoid arrest for several days was sentenced to ten years
as accessory after the fact to murder. She served about seven. On the plus side,
she got a much better education while in prison than she would have been able
to get outside.

George Patterson
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something that can
be learned no other way.
Old November 20th 03, 10:24 PM
Dennis O'Connor

The pilot is legally liable if it can be proven that the pilot was aware
that he was leaving the country with a fugitive and/or that the fugitive had
not cleared through customs on the way out...
Denny

Old November 20th 03, 10:29 PM
Ron Natalie

"Dennis O'Connor" wrote in message ...
The pilot is legally liable if it can be proven that the pilot was aware
that he was leaving the country with a fugitive and/or that the fugitive had
not cleared through customs on the way out...

Since when do you have to clear customs to leave the US?

Old November 20th 03, 10:40 PM
Bob Gardner

What Ron said. This past weekend I buzzed right through US Customs on the
way to Canada....but I had do the whole dance coming back. Didn't have to
take my shoes off, though, because I wasn't flying.

Bob Gardner

. ..