A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

What is the Current Pricing for Used Portable PowerFlarm? Anyoneselling theirs?

Old August 13th 19, 09:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default What is the Current Pricing for Used Portable PowerFlarm? Anyoneselling theirs?

Need input of current pricing of "Used" Portable PowerFlarm and availability. I fly our club gliders a lot and looking into the portable powerflarm devices so I may use in my glider as well.

I really am interested with the uAvionix SkyEcho (Portable ADS-B In/Out for 443 pounds) but no clue if it will ever be available to use in USA--
Old August 14th 19, 04:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net
external usenet poster

Default What is the Current Pricing for Used Portable PowerFlarm? Anyoneselling theirs?

On Tuesday, August 13, 2019 at 3:53:03 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Need input of current pricing of "Used" Portable PowerFlarm and availability. I fly our club gliders a lot and looking into the portable powerflarm devices so I may use in my glider as well.

I really am interested with the uAvionix SkyEcho (Portable ADS-B In/Out for 443 pounds) but no clue if it will ever be available to use in USA--

I bought (and sold) a used one several years ago. A few comments;

- To answer your question I have seen them going for $500-$700. I think I bought, and sold, mine for $500. New they are $2000+. Watch for them on RAS and http://glidersource.com.
- They are rather handy as they are portable.
- Their coverage isn't as good as compared to the PowerFLARM Core. Unsure why - power output or receiver sensitivity? My portable came with the FLARM B receive-only antenna (and license) which didn't seem to make much, or any, coverage enhancement. I even tried using a "standard" FLARM center-fed dipole antenna.
- Uses AA batteries, either rechargeable or not. Lasts about 8 hours. Better to power it externally from ship's power which is what I did. The issue is finding the correct barrel plug. First, the plug is TINY [0.70mm ID (0..028"), 2.35mm OD (0.093")] as compared to the more commonly available barrel plug sizes. Second, I used the even tougher to find 90° version to make it fit properly around the "rubber duckie" ADS-B antenna without which the ADS-B antenna tilted over quite a bit (vertical orientation is important for coverage).
- Almost by definition this unit will be mounted on the instrument panel's glare shield. Most often this is done with hook and loop fasteners (AKA Velcro). Please read what the FAA has to say about using Velcro plus my thoughts on the subject in my presentation (on slide #102) found at http://aviation.derosaweb.net/presentations/#wiring.
- Never did get the optional audio out to work (and I had that license).

That's enough for now. My $0.02. YMMV.

Enjoy, John OHM Ω
Old August 14th 19, 05:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, August 14, 2019 at 11:23:22 AM UTC-4, John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
- Uses AA batteries, either rechargeable or not. Lasts about 8 hours. Better to power it externally from ship's power which is what I did. The issue is finding the correct barrel plug. First, the plug is TINY [0.70mm ID (0.028"), 2.35mm OD (0.093")] as compared to the more commonly available barrel plug sizes. Second, I used the even tougher to find 90° version to make it fit properly around the "rubber duckie" ADS-B antenna without which the ADS-B antenna tilted over quite a bit (vertical orientation is important for coverage).
- Almost by definition this unit will be mounted on the instrument panel's glare shield. Most often this is done with hook and loop fasteners (AKA Velcro). Please read what the FAA has to say about using Velcro plus my thoughts on the subject in my presentation (on slide #102) found at http://aviation.derosaweb.net/presentations/#wiring.

An easier way to connect external power is via the 8-pin RJ45 connector. If you don't make a data connection (the portable FLARM being stand-alone) this is very easy. In my case I built a custom cable that splits at the other end into a data port (to connect to my glide computer) and power wires. Since I can see the FLARM traffic location on the computer, I mounted the FLARM (using a metal bracket) in a location that is NOT on top of the glare shield - but still gives it GPS (built-in antenna) and ADS-B (attached whip antenna) reception, and still allows me to reach its control knob. (The two FLARM antennas are dipoles with cables so can be mounted away from the FLARM unit, and range depends mostly on where you put those.) The beeps from the FLARM are quite audible wherever you mount it (in a glider with no engine noise).
Old August 14th 19, 05:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

thx for the info
Old August 14th 19, 11:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Don't know current prices. A few years ago, probably $1200 used. They are rather expensive new.

I did mount mine on the glare shield but using the threaded inserts in the base. It moved around a little even with that so I made a simple L bracket that the forward end of the FLARM slides under.

Yes, the power plug is tiny. I rummaged around in my parts box until I found an old charger with that plug and cut off the end with a few feet of wire.. I also wired up the RJ-45 cable (an old Cat 5 network cable works fine) so I could power it that way plus get data for my Kobo running TopHat: GPS and barometric altitude plus FLARM targets.

I've heard that the Portable FLARMs aren't as sensitive as the core units but can't substantiate that. I seem to get about the same range as other pilots report. I'm running two dipole antennas (I have the license for the 2nd antenna) and found that it's pretty sensitive to antenna location. Not sure I have the magic answer yet but it's "good enough".

One "hazard" of the core if it's on the glareshield is that the rubber ducky antenna(s) can touch the inside of the canopy if space is tight. That results in tiny scratches unless you put a piece of [black] tape on the canopy.. Fortunately I have a brand new canopy now courtesy of some whacko in Texas who shot up my glider last summer so those scratches are history.

I like the fact that it's self-contained: the USB card slot and display are built in and it has its own battery. I keep charged-up AAs in there so if the main ship's power fails, the FLARM (also a logger since I have that license) will continue to operate. Hopefully I won't have to find out if there's a flaw in that logic.

IIRC, one advantage of the core is that there are two data out ports so you can send the GPS/FLARM data to two devices: nav computers, FLARM-NAV displays, etc. I had to buy a little adaptor to do that; I couldn't find a way to split the FLARM data output from the single port.

I bought mine about 4 years ago and it's worked well, although it stays in my ASW 24 all the time.

Chip Bearden
Old August 15th 19, 12:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Keeping rechargable batteries in the portable powerFLARM may seem handy in case of a main power failure, but since they would live in the glider trailer where it often gets rather hot I am worried they may leak and damage the FLARM? (And don't use non-rechargables since the FLARM will attempt to charge them if it's connected to the main power!)
Old August 15th 19, 05:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, August 14, 2019 at 6:15:42 PM UTC-4, wrote:
... Fortunately I have a brand new canopy now courtesy of some whacko in Texas who shot up my glider last summer so those scratches are history.

If you ever want to tell the story, I'd love to hear it. Off-airport landing?
Old August 15th 19, 05:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, August 14, 2019 at 9:05:02 PM UTC-7, son_of_flubber wrote:
On Wednesday, August 14, 2019 at 6:15:42 PM UTC-4, wrote:
... Fortunately I have a brand new canopy now courtesy of some whacko in Texas who shot up my glider last summer so those scratches are history.

If you ever want to tell the story, I'd love to hear it. Off-airport landing?

Guess again, Flub.
That Dallas soap opera has been aching to be published since the 2018 Standard Nationals.
"Who shot JB?"
Jim
Old August 15th 19, 06:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell
external usenet poster

On 8/14/19 9:23 AM, John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
On Tuesday, August 13, 2019 at 3:53:03 PM UTC-5, wrote:

I bought (and sold) a used one several years ago. A few comments;

- To answer your question I have seen them going for $500-$700. I think I bought, and sold, mine for $500. New they are $2000+. Watch for them on RAS and http://glidersource.com.
- They are rather handy as they are portable.
- Their coverage isn't as good as compared to the PowerFLARM Core. Unsure why - power output or receiver sensitivity? My portable came with the FLARM B receive-only antenna (and license) which didn't seem to make much, or any, coverage enhancement. I even tried using a "standard" FLARM center-fed dipole antenna.
- Uses AA batteries, either rechargeable or not. Lasts about 8 hours. Better to power it externally from ship's power which is what I did. The issue is finding the correct barrel plug. First, the plug is TINY [0.70mm ID (0.028"), 2.35mm OD (0.093")] as compared to the more commonly available barrel plug sizes. Second, I used the even tougher to find 90° version to make it fit properly around the "rubber duckie" ADS-B antenna without which the ADS-B antenna tilted over quite a bit (vertical orientation is important for coverage).

That's enough for now. My $0.02. YMMV.

Enjoy, John OHM Ω

The Core has 18mw of output power, the Portable only 10. Not a huge
difference, but it's something.

I've also heard the Core has a filter for reducing interference
received, take that as a rumor since I haven't seen it documented.

My experience at large camps is people generally are happier with the
range from Cores, compared to Portables. I have a Core and wouldn't
want a Portable on the glare shield.

-Dave