Flybuddy Loran

Old September 17th 03, 11:31 PM
Henry Kisor

Default Flybuddy Loran

I've got a Flybuddy Loran in my C150. The manual and the 337 identify it
simply as a "Flybuddy Loran." Is the Flybuddy Loran 800 often mentioned on
this newsgroup the same item or is it a different one?

I ask cuz I'm going to see if I can get the 1993 database card upgraded.

Henry

Old September 18th 03, 12:10 AM
Neal

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 22:31:18 GMT, "Henry Kisor"
wrote:

I've got a Flybuddy Loran in my C150. The manual and the 337 identify it
simply as a "Flybuddy Loran." Is the Flybuddy Loran 800 often mentioned on
this newsgroup the same item or is it a different one?

I ask cuz I'm going to see if I can get the 1993 database card upgraded.

Henry

If it has the database on a removable "Flybrary" card (that looks
sorta like a laptop PC's PCMCIA card) for the database, and the
database is not stored solely on flash memory chips inside the Loran,
then you may still get updated database cards from Garmin. Ask for the
one-time update, and you'll have to pay a bit extra for the new larger
memory card it comes with, because your old card is too small capacity
to be of any trade-in value.

http://www.garminat.com/138-0422.shtml

Also you need to check and see if your firmware operating system
version is in the supported version list (probably is, if you do
indeed have the card-based database version of the Flybuddy 800,
usually known as the 800+ (800 Plus). The earliest 800's that only had
internal memory and not the database on a card, is not upgradeable.
Old September 18th 03, 01:22 AM
Henry Kisor

wrote:

[...]

Thanks. The Flybuddy does have a removeable card (looks more like a thick
credit card to me than a PCMCIA card). I suppose I must have a radio shop
install the replacement card for the installation to be legal.

Any idea what the updated card costs?

Henry

Old September 18th 03, 07:14 AM
Ben Jackson

In article ,
Henry Kisor wrote:
I've got a Flybuddy Loran in my C150. The manual and the 337 identify it
simply as a "Flybuddy Loran." Is the Flybuddy Loran 800 often mentioned on

A yellow-tagged Apollo GX-55R (R = LORAN replacement) just sold on eBay
for about $1500. Worth considering before you throw too much money at
upgrading the LORAN.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old September 18th 03, 12:52 PM
Roger Long

That may not be the card but just a cover over the slot where the card
reader would be. The card is intended to be easily removable and
replaceable in flight. Unless the card comes out easily and your unit says
800 Plus on the back, there is no card reader installed.

I just checked with Garmin (now the owner) and the cardless 800's are not
upgradable because the required memory chips are no longer made.

--
Roger Long

Old September 18th 03, 10:47 PM
Larry Smith

I have a Flybuddy Loran brand new never used with North American data card
I'll sell you, cheap. I paid over a thousand bucks for that thing and
never used it.

"Roger Long" om wrote in
message ...