Landings Carthage, Jackson and Madison MS - Video

Old July 7th 08, 01:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

Default Landings Carthage, Jackson and Madison MS - Video

In article
,
" wrote:

Even with my level of experience (about 850 hours), I wouldn't do any
high Xwinds landings at Carthage. I'd just go select a more wind
favorable airport and land there or not launch at all.

I highly recommend reading Leighton Collins' book, TAKEOFFS AND LANDINGS.
Old July 7th 08, 01:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Jul 6, 7:05*pm, John Smith wrote:

I highly recommend reading Leighton Collins' book, TAKEOFFS AND LANDINGS.

Actually I have. While most books always touch base on technique and
such, this is my self imposed limits.

Now, I can land my plane on a 50 foot wide runway at maximum Xwind
component when called to task, but why?

I have yet to find any reason in my short 7 years of flying to add
more risk or try to shoe horn a landing on a shorter or narrower then
**my normally encountered** runways.

I have very conservative limits when it comes to go and no go and have
not and will not deviate from that. If winds were above my safety
factors, then I'd go to a neighboring airport or concede and use my
car.

The Carthage exercise was to expand on my experiences, not test my
limits as the airplane doesn't care how far the edges of the runway
are as long as I maintain centerline and the edges are wider then the
foot print of my plane. I wanted to experience the narrow runway
illusions that I had never experienced before.

My Xwind landing limits is 17 knots direct Xwind at my own airport
with a 75 foot wide runway.

The Jackson (KJAN) exercise was for working with Ground controllers,
just to keep me sharper in the movement area of an airport that has
more then one taxiway. It is very rare I even go to a controlled
airport, not that I avoid them, just much more convenient for people I
meet up with when I fly (thus the beauty of GA)
Old July 7th 08, 11:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
More_Flaps

On Jul 7, 12:16*pm, Clark wrote:
More_Flaps wrote in news:2b709d3b-fa90-4373-a3e8-
:

On Jul 7, 8:22*am, Clark wrote:
More_Flaps wrote in news:1d23a864-9d7f-4d01-ac12-
:

On 2008-07-06, B A R R Y wrote:
You've NEVER had the bar slip past the next (or all the way to the
floor) notches? *You know, your finger has a touch of pressure on

*th
button?

This happened to me on my Archer checkout with the club's chief

pilo
CFI. I just pulled the first notch back in while holding pitch
attitude
, and
wiped away the sudden sweat. Keep flying the airplane, and it'll be
fin
e.

Were you crossing the threshold @ 40 AGL and seconds from a landing?

I agree it's not such a big deal at altitude. *Personally, I want to
avoid leaning over to grab the bar at the moment I mentioned above.

Thursday afternoon, I landed in a varying 45 to 60 degree crosswind

15
gusting to 27. *With my luck, that would be the day I drop the bar.

Old July 7th 08, 11:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
More_Flaps

On Jul 7, 12:29*pm, " wrote:
[...]

Fair enough but honing those skills may pay off for the real FLWOP...

Cheers
Old July 7th 08, 05:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Jul 7, 5:16*am, More_Flaps wrote:

Fair enough but honing those skills may pay off for the real FLWOP...

Been there BEFORE getting a chance to hone the skills. Shared with
the student newsgroup when a cylinder ghosted up on me.

http://tinyurl.com/5ccbga

Difference in the above was that L31 had a wider runway so I didn't
have that high speed illusion on landing.