MOGAS availability database

Old April 28th 05, 04:03 PM
Jay Honeck

Formulations aside, my big concern with buying mogas from a podunk airport
tank is that the gas could be old and contaminated. This would be due to
the
small number of planes that are actually set up to burn mogas.

That's interesting. Around here, the vast majority of personal planes
(which are predominantly Skyhawks and Cherokees of various flavors) have the
autogas STC.

I'm trying to figure out why anyone still uses 100 LL. It burns less
cleanly, fouls spark plugs -- and costs 50% more. If you have the autogas
STC, and aren't using it, you're just burning hundred dollar bills
needlessly.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 28th 05, 04:13 PM
Matt Barrow

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
The ONLY time I've EVER had engine trouble has been while operating with

100
LL -- which has far more lead in it than my engine was designed to run on.

Just how much do you think "too much" is?

April 27, 2002

Pelican's Perch #55:
Lead in the Hogwash

"100LL has a maximum limit of only two grams per gallon, but in reality,
most 100LL has even less. The refineries have learned how to blend a package
that produces approximately 97-octane fuel without the lead, and they add
barely enough to bring that up to 100 plus a few more points so that they
can be sure that their product meets the minimum specification when it is
delivered. Lead is by far the most expensive component of the fuel, so they
save money by doing it that way. When 100/130 was the standard, the mix
limit was four grams of lead per gallon, but in reality the actual blends
were around 2.7, for the same reasons. (There are about 6.0 pounds, or about
2,721 grams in a gallon of 100LL, so the lead is less than 0.0735%, by
weight.)"

http://www.avweb.com/news/columns/182149-1.html

Old April 28th 05, 04:26 PM
Matt Barrow

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message

That's interesting. Around here, the vast majority of personal planes
(which are predominantly Skyhawks and Cherokees of various flavors) have

the
autogas STC.

I'm trying to figure out why anyone still uses 100 LL. It burns less
cleanly, fouls spark plugs -- and costs 50% more. If you have the autogas
STC, and aren't using it, you're just burning hundred dollar bills
needlessly.

Is there an STC for Mogas in an IO-550?

Matt
---------------------
Matthew W. Barrow
Site-Fill Homes, LLC.
Montrose, CO

Old April 28th 05, 05:01 PM
Darrel Toepfer

Matt Barrow wrote:

Is there an STC for Mogas in an IO-550?

Not enough info, you also need manufacturer and series, though I'd
hazzard a guess at NO...

Here's Petersons listing:
http://www.webworksltd.com/autofuels...edEngines.html

I was looking for info on the Lycoming IO-540-D4A5 for instance. There
is one approved IO model 470 that Continental makes. Otherwise aviation
fuel injection seems to negate mogas usage. As an example Jay is flying
behind a carb'd 540 engine...

The EAA also offers Mogas STC's. Be aware that its also tied to the
airframe on certified planes...

http://www.eaa.org/education/fuel/index.html

The EAA is based on $1 a HP or somesuch...
Old April 28th 05, 10:02 PM
Morgans

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message

Jay Honeck

Why Jay, that is the most intelligent thing I have heard you say in a long
time! ;-)
--
Jim in NC

Old April 29th 05, 12:37 AM
Blueskies

"Matt Barrow" wrote in message ...

April 27, 2002

Pelican's Perch #55:
Lead in the Hogwash

When 100/130 was the standard, the mix
limit was four grams of lead per gallon, but in reality the actual blends
were around 2.7, for the same reasons. (There are about 6.0 pounds, or about
2,721 grams in a gallon of 100LL, so the lead is less than 0.0735%, by
weight.)"

http://www.avweb.com/news/columns/182149-1.html

Ok, fuel is 6 lbs/gallon, and the quote says there is 6 lbs of lead in a gallon...what????

Old April 29th 05, 01:21 AM
Morgans

"Blueskies" wrote

Ok, fuel is 6 lbs/gallon, and the quote says there is 6 lbs of lead in a

gallon...what????

Ahh, grasshopper, read it very carefully, again. There is great truth in
the details, and relationships of the part, and the whole. g
--
Jim (wise teacher) in NC

Old April 29th 05, 01:22 AM
Peter Duniho

"Blueskies" wrote in message
Ok, fuel is 6 lbs/gallon, and the quote says there is 6 lbs of lead in a
gallon...what????

The quote is telling you how much a gallon of 100LL weighs, not how much
lead is in a gallon of 100LL. (Well, technically, the quote also tells you
how much lead is in a gallon of 100LL -- 2 grams -- but that doesn't appear
to be what you're confused about ).

Pete

Old April 29th 05, 02:27 AM
Blueskies

"Morgans" wrote in message news

"Blueskies" wrote

Ok, fuel is 6 lbs/gallon, and the quote says there is 6 lbs of lead in a

gallon...what????

Ahh, grasshopper, read it very carefully, again. There is great truth in
the details, and relationships of the part, and the whole. g
--
Jim (wise teacher) in NC

Ok, I suppose it can be read that way also...

"When 100/130 was the standard, the mix limit was four grams of lead per gallon, but in reality the actual blends were
around 2.7, for the same reasons. (There are about 6.0 pounds, or about 2,721 grams in a gallon of 100LL, so the lead is
less than 0.0735%, by weight.)"

I don't think I have never heard of weight being 'in' something, a better read would be something like a gallon weighs 6
lbs, or about 2,721 grams, so...

Dan (with 185 pounds in him) D.

;-)

Old April 29th 05, 04:38 AM
Jay Honeck

Why Jay, that is the most intelligent thing I have heard you say in a long
time! ;-)

?!

;-)
--