Rocket Racing League First Exhibition Race August 1st and August 2nd, 2008

Old June 28th 08, 07:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Larry Dighera

Default Rocket Racing League First Exhibition Race August 1st and August 2nd, 2008

Pylon racing and now Rocket Racing!

http://www.rocketracingleague.com/
Rocket Racing League
he 21st century's newest and greatest sport - racing rocket-
powered aircraft

The Rocket Racing League® is an aerospace sports and entertainment
organization that combines the competition of racing with the
excitement of rocketry. The RRL was established by X-Prize founder
Peter Diamandis and two-time Indianapolis 500 champion team
partner Granger Whitelaw to advance the technology and increase
public awareness of space travel. The NASCAR-style racing league
features rocket-powered aircraft that will be flown by top pilots
through a 'three-dimensional track way' at venues throughout the
world. With millions of fans who enjoy racing and air shows, and
an even wider audience enthralled with humanity's next step into
space, rocket racing is destined to become the future of racing!

Video:
http://www.rocketracingleague.com/todayshowclip.html
http://www.rocketracingleague.com/foxnewsclip.html

http://www.rocketracingleague.com/me...4_oshkosh.html
Rocket Racing League® Announces First Exhibition Race, Upcoming
Race Schedule, Key Partnership and Acquisition

New Entertainment Sports League to Stage First Exhibition Race at
EAA AirVenture in Oshkosh August 1st and August 2nd

Armadillo Aerospace to provide LOX Engine for Rocket Racer

Rocket Racing Composite Announces Acquisition of Velocity Aircraft

NEW YORK - April 14, 2008 )-The Rocket Racing League® (RRL TM),
the new entertainment sports league that combines the exhilaration
of racing with the power of rocket engines, today announced that
the First Exhibition Race of the Rocket Racing League® will take
place on August 1st and August 2nd at EAA AirVenture in Oshkosh,
WI. In addition to announcing the dates of the First Exhibition
Races, the Rocket Racing League® also announced the remaining
series of exhibition races for the rest of 2008, the acquisition
of Velocity Aircraft by Rocket Racing Composites Corp., and
announced that Armadillo Aerospace will manufacture liquid oxygen
(LOX) engines for the Rocket Racing League® .

First Exhibition Race
On August 1st and August 2nd, the first Exhibition Race of the
Rocket Racing League® will be held at EAA AirVenture in Oshkosh,
WI, the largest air show in the world. For the first time ever,
two Rocket Racers will compete head-to-head in a demonstration
race in the raceway in the sky. The Rocket Racer pilots will view
the "raceway in the sky" via in-panel and 3D helmet displays and
the 700,000 people in attendance at EAA AirVenture will witness
the racing action live on multiple large projection screens.

"The first Exhibition Race of the Rocket Racer is an important
milestone in the progression of the Rocket Racing League® ," said
Granger Whitelaw, Chief Executive Officer of the Rocket Racing
League® . "We look forward to sharing the experience and thrill of
rocket racing with the public."

Exhibition Race Schedule

Following the first Exhibition Race at EAA AirVenture, the RRL
will hold exhibition races at venues around the country,
including:

* Reno National Championship Air Races (Reno, NV) - September
10-14
* X Prize Cup (Las Cruces, NM) - TBD 2008
* Aviation Nation, Nellis AFB, (Las Vegas, NV) - November 8-9

News:
http://www.rocketracingleague.com/pr...-releases.html
Old June 30th 08, 03:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Harry K

On Jun 28, 11:06*am, Larry Dighera wrote:
Pylon racing and now Rocket Racing!

* *http://www.rocketracingleague.com/
* * Rocket Racing League
* * he 21st century's newest and greatest sport - racing rocket-
* * powered aircraft

OK. I am a bit out of date but my understanding is that it is timed
circuits, not 2 or more in the air at the same time. Not what I
consider 'racing'.

Further, reading between the lines of the press release. You won't see
the planes flying except on a video screen.

If either of them, especially the 'screen' bit is correct, color me
very bored.

Harry K
Old June 30th 08, 06:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Larry Dighera

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 07:06:27 -0700 (PDT), Harry K
wrote in
:

On Jun 28, 11:06*am, Larry Dighera wrote:
Pylon racing and now Rocket Racing!

* *http://www.rocketracingleague.com/
* * Rocket Racing League
* * he 21st century's newest and greatest sport - racing rocket-
* * powered aircraft

OK. I am a bit out of date but my understanding is that it is timed
circuits, not 2 or more in the air at the same time. Not what I
consider 'racing'.

Where did you get that idea?

Further, reading between the lines of the press release. You won't see
the planes flying except on a video screen.

I believe that is incorrect also.

If either of them, especially the 'screen' bit is correct, color me
very bored.

Harry K

View this video, and then tell me what you believe is correct:
http://www.rocketracingleague.com/foxnewsclip.html
Old July 1st 08, 03:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ron Wanttaja

wrote:

OK. I am a bit out of date but my understanding is that it is timed
circuits, not 2 or more in the air at the same time. Not what I
consider 'racing'.

No, from what I understand, it's head-to-head. However, the rockets burn
through fuel quickly...I've heard that less than half of a typical 15-minute
flight will be under power. The RRL is doing pit stops, but of course a plane
just out of the pits will be a lot slower and have less acceleration than those
already aloft (due to still carrying a heavy fuel load).

Further, reading between the lines of the press release. You won't see
the planes flying except on a video screen.

You won't see the *course* any way than on a video screen. Unlike Red Bull and
Reno, there are no physical pylons. The pilots apparently follow their flight
directors, which are programmed with the route. If you want to see how they're
doing, you have to view the information on the video screens.

You'll see the planes flying, but I've heard that most the flying will occur at
1,000 feet or above (one guy told me 5,000 feet!). Since the majority of each
flight is power-off, they probably need the altitude to stretch their endurance.

The most interesting aspect will probably be the pit stops...the current record
for a rocket-powered-airplane pit stop is something like two hours! They've
supposedly reduced that by more than an order of magnitude. However, as most
airports don't have grandstands, you probably won't be able to watch the action
in the pits directly since the people in front will block everyone else's view.
Hence, you'll probably end up watching the pit stops on the video monitors as
well.

It *does* look like the RRL was considering grandstands, at least initially.
Check out their proximity to the runway on this promotional artwork on the RRL
web page:

http://www.rocketracingleague.com/pr.../runwaybig.jpg

Ten rocket planes going by, a half a wingspan away? I don't think they even
MAKE Excedrin tablets that large... :-)

Ron Wanttaja
Old July 1st 08, 04:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Harry K

wrote:

[...]

Okay. Still skeptical of it turning into much of a spectator sport.

Harry K
Old July 1st 08, 08:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ron Wanttaja

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 20:03:39 -0700 (PDT), Harry K
wrote:

Okay. Still skeptical of it turning into much of a spectator sport.

I don't think they'll have trouble getting attendees for the first couple of
races. The question is, how many people will be interested in spending money to
see it a SECOND (and third, and fourth...) time.

It could probably survive forever as one of the acts at places like Oshkosh and
Reno, but they're apparently trying to make it a stand-alone attraction like the
Red Bull air races. IMHO, I think the Red Bull events, with their visible
course markers (where a "cut pylon" is REALLY a cut pylon) and the low-level
aerobatics is a much more visceral experience for the average spectator.

Sure, folks will initially come to see the rockets. Once that interest is
sated, though, the question is whether the action itself is exciting enough to
lure them to buy a $50-$100 ticket just to watch the rockets race again the next
time they come to town.

Ron Wanttaja
Old July 1st 08, 01:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
who cares?

wrote:

[...]

It would seem to me that the way for them to make money is television. Since
you have to watch a screen to see whats going on, why not put it on
everybody's screen and make your money selling advertising?

Proper use of cenematic technique could make it far more exciting in people's
living rooms than it would be to view the action on site.
Old July 1st 08, 03:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Harry K

wrote:

[...]

One of the big problems is teh pit stop plus short flying time. Even
if they get it down to 15 minutes, they have each plane on the ground
for as long, or longer, than they ar flying. I can see the announcers
hyping the pit stops..."looks like Jim Campbell is going to set a new
course record folks, he is almost ready to leave the pits in under....
13.56!!"

With two planes going head to head in the exhibition it will be 15
minutes flying and 15 minutes for the crowd to make their own pit
stops for muchies and p calls. If that is the way it goes, I will bet
the at least half the crowd will find something better to do after the
first pit.

Harry K
Old July 1st 08, 04:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ron Wanttaja

On Tue, 1 Jul 2008 07:33:47 -0700 (PDT), Harry K
wrote:

One of the big problems is teh pit stop plus short flying time. Even
if they get it down to 15 minutes, they have each plane on the ground
for as long, or longer, than they ar flying. I can see the announcers
hyping the pit stops..."looks like Jim Campbell is going to set a new
course record folks, he is almost ready to leave the pits in under....
13.56!!"

With two planes going head to head in the exhibition it will be 15
minutes flying and 15 minutes for the crowd to make their own pit
stops for muchies and p calls. If that is the way it goes, I will bet
the at least half the crowd will find something better to do after the
first pit.

Actually, I got email the other day that says the RRL will be able to better the
15 minutes I'd previously guessed. If what I hear is right, I figure five
minutes might be doable. However, since the planes can't taxi under their own
power, that time has to include towing them back to the takeoff point.

Traffic control might be an issue. The planes are practically identical in
design. If they take off at about the same time, they are likely to run out of
fuel at about the same time, too. How about four planes maneuvering for
simultaneous deadstick landings?

The only solution is to stagger the takeoffs by several minutes, to ensure there
are planes that keep flying when others pit and the conflicts for runway space
don't happen. But then you've lost the head-to-head racing aspect...a Rocket
Racer with half its fuel burned will out-accelerate a plane that still has most
of its takeoff load. You get lots of fast passes, but not the breathtaking
duels of unlimited racing.

I think the question you have to ask yourself is, "Will people find the *style*
of racing interesting if they were prop-powered planes, instead?" The short
flights, the relatively high flying, the long powerless glides, the "virtual"
course that a spectator has to watch a video monitor to see, etc. If the answer
is "no," then rocket racing will be successful until the novelty of seeing
rocket planes glide around wears off.

Ron Wanttaja
Old July 1st 08, 10:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
BobR

wrote:

[...]

Not sure why everyone keeps making the comment about dead stick
landings. Rutan demonstrated the rocket plane at Oshkosh a couple of
years back with the full ability to start, stop, and restart the
engines.