The Worst Airliner Landing, Ever?

Old April 24th 08, 04:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

Default The Worst Airliner Landing, Ever?

As many of you know, I host one of the largest collections of aviation
videos on the internet. (See it he
http://www.alexisparkinn.com/aviation_videos.htm ) As a result, I receive a
LOT of videos, sent in from all over the world, and have seen all manner of
landings on film.

This one I received a few days ago, however, must rank as the worst airliner
landing ever recorded on video. If nothing else it serves as a testament to
the forgotten aircraft engineers who put their sweat into designing a very
tough little jet.

http://www.alexisparkinn.com/photoga...ing_BAE146.wmv

(If that wraps wrong, try: http://tinyurl.com/556h2d )

Here's the commentary from the fellow who submitted the video, Geno Becker:

"For those who want to fly to London City Airport, a cross wind adds to the
excitement (in addition to the short runway and steep approach). The airport
itself is located on the river Thames in downtown London, and gives business
people very quick access to the city. The Millennium Dome is in the left
side of the picture."

"The runway is only 1199 meters long, which is very short in airline runway
terms, thus it is only suitable for aircraft with good STOL (short take-off
and landing) performance. It also has a 5.5 degree glide slope, as opposed
to the conventional 3 degree slope to most runways. The BAE 146 is the main
jet type to operate into the place. Most other aircraft are turbo props
etc."

"When doing the approach you have to be fully configured, i.e., gear down,
full flaps and speed brakes before you commence descent from 3000 feet...or
you won't get stopped before reaching the far end of the runway. If it
doesn't look or feel right it is generally a good idea to give it away and
have another attempt. For whatever reason, this flight crew decided to
press, but they DID make the first turn off the runway. If nothing else,
it's a testament to the toughness of the BAE 146 airframe. The pilots
handled it like a dirtbike!"

I'm surprised the passengers didn't report spinal damage...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 24th 08, 04:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote in

http://www.alexisparkinn.com/photoga...2-LondonCityBa
dLanding_BAE146.wmv

How the **** would you know, jerkoff?

Bertie
Old April 24th 08, 05:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dylan Smith

On 2008-04-24, Jay Honeck wrote:
This one I received a few days ago, however, must rank as the worst airliner
landing ever recorded on video.

I think there are worse ones from Kai Tak, before it was closed. At
least they got to use the aircraft again afterwards - some of the Kai
Tak landings you see them dragging engines on the ground which would
need some repairs before you could use the plane again!

--
From the sunny Isle of Man.
Old April 24th 08, 05:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ross

Jay Honeck wrote:
[...]

Boy, I bet it took longer to clean out the plane for the next flight. I
was on a flight in England and cannot remember the carrier. He dove it
to the runway and slammed on the stops. And, there was a terrific
crosswind. Darn, I wish I could remember where in England, also.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
Old April 24th 08, 05:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Panic

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
[...]

You can frequently make the first turn off if you are willing to absorb your
forward momentum energy with the impact!!!!

Old April 24th 08, 06:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On 24 Apr, 17:48, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
"Jay Honeck" wrote innews:VC1Qj.80601$TT4.43104@attbi_s22:

http://www.alexisparkinn.com/photoga...2-LondonCityBa
dLanding_BAE146.wmv

How the **** would you know, jerkoff?

Bertie

Here is some stuff on it that I found.
Oh - and another one.

# Another one -
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=OlgNEpSVCCo&NR=1

# Regarding the London City thing -

# Swiss AAIB says:-
Date: 18.08.2007
Location: London City Airport, United Kingdom
HB-IYU
Avro 146-RJ100

http://www.bfu.admin.ch/common/pdf/HB-IYU.pdf
NOTIFICATION OF AN ACCIDENT
We inform you about an accident of an aircraft
registered in Switzerland which occurred
in Great Britain:
Place, date, time: London City Airport, 18.08.2007, 09:40 UTC

# Loads of other stuff - in case anyone cares,
# I just had a look for some official report but
# there is not much on the web it seems.

# You Tube has it - Quality may be a bit better.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=s5prz1Ae5QM

http://worldplanes.canalblog.com/arc...8/7929887.html
Hard landing Bae145 Swiss at London City Airport

http://forums.ifdg.net/index.php?showtopic=3391
# ## Good photos of damage ##
Damage to Swiss Air's RJ100 after hard landing at London City
International Air Lines BAE Systems Avro RJ100 after a heavy
landing on 18 August at London City airport.
The aircraft, a seven-year old example registered HB-IYU
The jet is owned by Zurich-based Anson Aircraft.

"Swiss to remove damaged Avro RJ100 on floating pontoon at London City
By Victoria Moores

Swiss International Air Lines and its insurers have decided to repair
the BAE Systems Avro RJ100 which was heavily damaged in a hard
landing incident at London City airport last month.

The aircraft is a seven-year old example registered HB-IYU
owned by Zurich-based Anson Aircraft. It was operating from
Geneva with 93 passengers and crew when it made the hard landing on 18
August.

A Swiss International Air Lines spokesman says: “The final
decision has been taken to repair it.”

Early evaluations suggest that the repair work will take
approximately 14 weeks, says the spokesman, although he
declines to comment on the cost of the work.

He says the aircraft suffered a tail scrape, cracks and
severe damage during the landing, but declined to comment
further on the cause which is subject to an ongoing
investigation.

Due to space and maintenance constraints at London City
airport, which is located on the river Thames, the aircraft
must be moved off-airport to perform the repair work.

The spokesman says it will soon be towed onto a marine
pontoon and floated a short distance along the river
to the north Royal Dock area.

“Security-wise everything is being prepared. We are
going to build a special hangar for the aircraft,”
he says. “The exact date for the move is not yet known,
but we will perform the repair on the spot. The aircraft
has been released; we can do what we want with it.”

Old April 24th 08, 06:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
buttman

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 15:24:37 +0000, Jay Honeck sayeth:

http://www.alexisparkinn.com/photoga...eos/2008-4-22-

[...]

It kind of looks like it had a belly strike on the way down...
Old April 24th 08, 06:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On 24 Apr, 19:22, Buttman wrote:
[...]

It kind of looks like it had a belly strike on the way down...- Hide quoted text -

Here is the Take Off.
http://www.flightglobal.com/articles...ndon-city.html

Old April 24th 08, 06:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

# Another one -
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=OlgNEpSVCCo&NR=1

That was filmed during DC-9/MD-80 certification testing. They beefed up the
aft fuselage after that one...

;-)

Here's a copy you can save:
http://www.alexisparkinn.com/photoga...eos/MD-80.mpeg
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 24th 08, 07:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote in

# Another one -
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=OlgNEpSVCCo&NR=1

That was filmed during DC-9/MD-80 certification testing. They beefed
up the aft fuselage after that one...

;-)

Here's a copy you can save:
http://www.alexisparkinn.com/photoga...eos/MD-80.mpeg