Dead Stick Landings

Old July 28th 03, 08:02 PM
Gene Seibel

Default Dead Stick Landings

I have. My own fault. Ran out of fuel. No physical damage to the
aircraft or me. Details at http://pad39a.com/gene/breathe.html
--
Gene Seibel
Hangar 131 - http://pad39a.com/gene/plane.html

"Rocky" wrote in message
om...
Aside from glider pilots.... how many of you have ever experienced

an
engine out dead stick landing? Care to talk about it? I've done

quite
a few of them. Some were intentional, some were during training, and
some happened at the most inopportune time with mechanical failures

of
one sort or other. This included helicopters and airplanes.

Old July 28th 03, 09:44 PM
Casey Wilson

"Rocky" wrote in message
om...
Aside from glider pilots.... how many of you have ever experienced an
engine out dead stick landing? Care to talk about it? I've done quite
a few of them. Some were intentional, some were during training, and
some happened at the most inopportune time with mechanical failures of
one sort or other. This included helicopters and airplanes.

When I was taking some aerobatic dual. I'm no lightweight and my CFI
was heavier. With the two of us AND parachutes in the 150 Aerobat more than
40 minutes fuel pushed us over MGW. On more than one occasion, the prop quit
spinning because we were both having too much fun to watch the clock. The
first time it happened in a snap-roll and I had to recover from inverted.
Except for once, we were always within glide range of the airport. Density
altitude got me that day. Landed on a good dirt road, not a problem. The CFI
made me walk back and get a can of gas.
Funny you should mention gliders. I've never made an off-field landing.

Old July 28th 03, 09:55 PM
Al Gerharter

I have. Outside of traning, I've lost 7 engines in about 7 thousand hours.
Four failures were in three twins, 3 failures were in singles, and all were
landed on a paved airports. 4 of the five airports had a bar. 1 of the
single failures was night/IFR/over mauntains. One of the twins, it was both
engines(fuel ice). One of my first instructors once said "Luck is where
opportunity meets preparation". Al Gerharter CFIAMI

Old July 28th 03, 11:03 PM
John Gaquin

"Rocky" wrote in message
om...
Aside from glider pilots.... how many of you have ever experienced an
engine out dead stick landing?

I flew for 26 years, mostly professionally, and never had a catastrophic
failure of anything. Just lucky, I guess.

JG

Old July 29th 03, 02:04 AM
altekocker

I did fly gliders for awhile. Then, after I'd acquired about 250 hours asel,
during a BFR in a 182, we were at 400 feet on takeoff when my instructor
reached over and took the key out of the mag switch.

I turned 180 but not back to the runway (that would have been 270) and
landed on a taxiway.

I have two friends who made successful landings after catasrophic engine
failures. One put his 182 onto a landfill, damaging only the wheelpants. The
other turned 180 on takeoff at 600 feet in a Tiger and parked it neatly on
the runway -- three pax, no airframe damage, and she now wears the melted
exhaust valve mushroom, in a silver setting, on chain around her neck.

Seth
Comanche N8100R

Old July 29th 03, 05:14 AM
Robert M. Gary

I kinda lost an engine in a J-3 once due to carb ice. The carb heat
was actually on at the time but I guess it took that long for the ice
to become water. However, by the time I completed my 180 back to the
field, it had cleared.

Old July 29th 03, 05:56 AM
Ditch

how many of you have ever experienced an
engine out dead stick landing?

In 5000 hours, I have had 3 full engine failures (two at low altitude), 4
partial failures and once (and I kid you not) I have had both prop governors
fail on a Twin Otter. The left one failed first and I shut the motor down and
the right one failed as I was turning a very high final. Interesting day.
One of the low altitude failures resulted in the airplane going in to a ditch
on airport property. Totalled the airplane, but my student and I walked out ok.

-John
*You are nothing until you have flown a Douglas, Lockheed, Grumman or North
American*